JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Return To Forever, not belonging to RFT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return To Forever, not belonging to RFT?
    Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:21pm
I'm referring to the classic album by Chick Corea's RTF: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/chick-corea--return-to-forever.aspx

I was expecting to find this under Return To Forever, not Chick Corea solo. Was I wrong Question
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:35pm
Technically its a Corea album called "Return to Forever", me personally, I would have put it with RTF, but that was Slava's call  ....go yell at him.  LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:37pm
I think that while it was supposed to be a solo Corea album, the fact that it spanned a new, long-lasting band, should make this album the debut release of the band. Cool to see that at least you agree. Smile
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:37pm
Yes, it's often stated as a RtF album.

But I'm ok with it being in Corea's solo discography, since that's where it really belongs. It's an ECM album, undoubtedly the label Chick was playing on as a soloist, but with the band RtF he started with Polydor.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:50pm
^ That's correct, but is it enough an argument?

Anyway, it's part of the RTF discography on Wikipedia and RYM, but not on AllMusic.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:56pm
Its Salva's fault, go yell at him. Wink
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:11pm

I think that the name of RTF changes with the album if my memory is certain.

Return to Forever - Chick Corea

Light As A Feather - Chick Corea and Return to Forever

I think that I formally announced the album by the name of RTF since 3rd album.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Yes, but their 3rd, 4th, and 5th albums also include "...featuring Chick Corea" or something similar. Romantic Warrior was the first to just bill the album as only "Return to Forever"
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Yes, but their 3rd, 4th, and 5th albums also include "...featuring Chick Corea" or something similar. Romantic Warrior was the first to just bill the album as only "Return to Forever"
Ah. Yes. It is correct. I was missing the mark of album art.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:27pm
The first controversy from JMA's history? Approve
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

The first controversy from JMA's history? Approve

I won't be able to sleep tonight.  Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:40pm
Don't blame it on me, go yell to...

Tongue

Edited by harmonium.ro - 07 Apr 2011 at 7:41pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:42pm
Should I abandon work though Japan is time of work now?Confused
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 2:20am
Placing of Chick Corea's "Return To Forever"  album is always controversial oneWink. You can find different versions ,almost 50/50. Looking formally, it is just his regular album on ECM, named "Return To Forever". At the moment of its release (it is important ) RTF didn't exist as band. 

Later on  a success of this release Corea developed the idea to separate project ,using same (album's) name as band's name. Band under the name of RTF was signed with Polydor (not ECM, as Corea's "Return To Forever" album), from that moment the series of real RTF releases were started (later continued on CBS/Columbia).

I understand "Return To Forever" placing under RTF on PA, where Corea's solo works aren't presented at all: it was the only way to include excellent album (even if not much jazz-rock fusion one). There on JMA we have Corea's discog presented in full, so can't see why genuinely his solo album should be placed somewhere else.

Just my point of view Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 6:05am
You're the expert Slava, I trust you. 
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 6:44am
I hope such placing is even more useful for newbies. The name, written on album is Chick Corea, so naturally one can search the artist under that name (even if not familiar with RTF). Everyone, who knows both will easily find this release because there are not too many places where this album could be placed Wink

Just my logic again...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 11:17am
it all makes sense
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic