JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Betty Davis (Funk) US

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Betty Davis (Funk) US
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:08pm
Betty Davis released three unappreciated funk albums in the 70s. Once married to Miles but apparently too wild for him Wink 

She's backed by part of Sly's rhythm section on her first album, but kept it just as funky with other players on later albums.
I've mostly got samples from the first 2 albums here - there's a bit of rock to it I guess, but it's mostly funk.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:41pm
She's not here, yet!? Shocked

Indeed a great addition.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 12:10am
I searched for her just before I posted and was kind of excited that she hadn't been added - it's nice to be able to suggest her, because so many other artists I think to suggest are already here Wink
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:37am
Thanks for the suggestion, I know Betty's music well. You might want to check our site definition for our Funk section. Being primarily a jazz site we're not trying to have a comprehensive funk section, at least not yet.
Right now we are trying to include the most innovative and pure funk bands, as well as those that have a healthy dose of jazz in them.
Listen to Parliament to get a dose of the best and pure funk with jazz elements.

Listen to Betty's music, its a mix of blues rock and funk. This is a style that was very common in the 70s, there were a lot of bands that were doing what Betty was doing. Also, where are the solos, for being a semi-funk band, Betty's music is short on jazziness. Most of the songs are built around her campy personality and voice, but not the players.

Some day we may expand our funk section out to people like Betty, but there are a lot of bands that should come in ahead of her. I won't list them or then people might suggest them next, ha. 
Adding Betty right now would be moving the boundaries outward too soon.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:12pm

Hi John, I did suspect everyone would know her. And I agree, that campy personality is pretty much the focus. Wears a bit thin after a while.  And it is lighter on in the solo department, indeed. And I know what you mean about PFunk collective etc having more jazz, yeah.

I see your point about the funk section too, so I certainly don't mind if Betty has to wait.  I'll try and come up with someone from that list that you've got in mind Wink Just gotta figure out how to mind-read from several thousand miles and a different hemisphere away hahaha

Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic