JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Five Live Cuts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:32pm
Yes. Kirk Covington is always energetic. The video which I put will have a factor such as rock than jazz/fusion.

However, Tribal Tech may follow the music such as WR by music. Probably I suppose that it is the element which Scott Henderson cultivated in Zawinul Syndicate.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
Any thing from Dark Magus or the Cellar Door stuff is is good from Miles.

Also Mahalia Jackson Singing at Newport 1959 I believe the year, it's on that Jazz on a Summer's Day film, Goose Bump City on that one. Louise Armstrong also delivers some killer trumpet work on that DVD.

One night with Blue Note DVD, Freddie Hubbard on Cantaloupe Island, he nearly blows the building down. Jackie Mclean also has a solo on "Appointment in Ghana" that is insane. that whole DVD is stellar, most of the guys were way past their Prime, but somehow they pushed each other to great heights, I also love the Cecil Taylor Piano Solo, this was from 1985.

I have also been a big fan of any of the Buddy Rich Big Band live performances, even some of his from the mid 80's are great, Steve Marcus, one of Fathers of Jazz Rock you never hear about, plays some mean tenor and soprano sax on many of the late 70's early 80' albums, I highly recommend the Jazz Icons Buddy Rich Release, and the 2 DVD's, Channel 1 suite and The lost Tapes, One thing about the last 2 mentioned, It is evident even 2 years before Rich's death, he was never past HIS prime.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 1:38am
This one? Yeah, it's pretty darn good - nice clear sound too

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

This one? Yeah, it's pretty darn good - nice clear sound too

Yeah and EMI knows it too, your video is blocked in the U.S. on copyright grounds.Either way, I highly recommend that DVD to everyone.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 9:02pm
Yeah, ace DVD. Hmm, not blocked in Australia, so I guess just Matt & I can watch it! But I agree, worth ordering that DVD

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 04 Feb 2012 at 9:03pm
Reviews...
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:24pm
I am an unabashed fanboy of Smokin at the Half Note. If you want to hear possibly the best music ever produced without horns, this is it.

Complete Jazz at Massey Hall has some great stuff too, despite the quality. The recordings of Hot House, Salt Peanuts, All the Things You Are and Night in Tunisia stand out.

I first heard it on some bizarre Coltrane live recording I bought at a used record shop which doesn't show up on any of his discographies and I'm convinced it's some sort of bootleg. It made it's way to Youtube, though. Quality is mediocre but the raw energy of that cut... Man, it's something else.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:51pm
^ Nice version indeed. I often forget how prominently suits feature in live jazz. Good stuff
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic