JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Attitude of "Modern" Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Attitude of "Modern" Jazz
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 10:32pm
I can't completely figure out what it is, but there's something about hard/post bop over the last 20 years of so that I really dislike. I think it may have something to do with the "attitude" that musicians today approach the genre. This attitude seems to affect the groove in a way that feels much less pristine to me. A way that seems fake, as though instead of trying to be honest to the music, they instead try to make the music "cool".

Do any of you have similar feelings?
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 2:45am
There's a lot of variety in today's hard/post bop scene, including a large segment that is fairly commercial, especially over the last couple years as a sort of very laid back style has become very profitable and a staple on jazz radio.

I'm guessing that is the sound you refer to, and yes, there is a certain "posture" to a lot of that music that seems kind of shallow and trendy and borrowed from another time. Still, on the other hand, there are other hard/post bop bands that are not part of that radio friendly sound and are playing good modern jazz, for instance Dave Douglas comes to mind.

Some of the best post bop did happen early in the genre (Bill Evans, Miles'quintet), but you could say the same for bop and fusion and a lot of other genres too. The innovators usually are the best.

Edited by js - 20 Aug 2013 at 7:11am
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 7:11pm
I was actually thinking about players like Joshua Redman or Chris Potter. One of the highest rated albums on this site for the 21st century is the Dave Holland Quintet: Live at Birdland, and I just can't get into it.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 8:34pm
Potter is a great saxophonist, but some of his sound is getting towards that radio friendly sound. Redman is very eclectic, some things are quite different from others. I don't know that Holland album, or at least I don't recall it.

Thinking of some big name artists who released CDs over the last year, I bought the new ones by Branford Marsalis and Kenny Garrett, two sax players who can really tear it up if they want to.
Both CDs had good music, but I thought the sound was very bland and it really took away from the quality. I think that same music played live would have been much better.
Thats the problem with a lot of Potter's music too, over-produced and bland sounding. Its a background music sound.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 10:07pm
I think part of the problem is the music is really reaching a point of stagnation. I like Joe Lovano's Us Five band quite a bit.

I find myself thinking why am I listening to this when I could be listening to A love Supreme, Speak No Evil and Miles Smiles.

Other than new interesting Sax tones or specific compositions, I am finding myself liking extreme free jazz and electronic fusion styles more and more.

I know what you mean by fake groove, seems like another Art Blakey needs to be playing drums on  those new releases.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 10:28pm
I certainly have a lot of free jazz and electric fusion in my collection, but those sounds can get old too.
Subtlety can go a long way for me.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 2:13am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Speaking of subtlety, I'm very interested in hearing that acoutsic/techno album you reviewed just the other day, John. It sounds like it'd be very, very interesting
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Amilisom Amilisom wrote:

I can't completely figure out what it is, but there's something about hard/post bop over the last 20 years of so that I really dislike. I think it may have something to do with the "attitude" that musicians today approach the genre. This attitude seems to affect the groove in a way that feels much less pristine to me. A way that seems fake, as though instead of trying to be honest to the music, they instead try to make the music "cool".

Do any of you have similar feelings?

I guess you're talking of a form of integrism ala Marsalis, here??Ermm.

In rock circles, where they love to pigeon-hole and create new genres labels, they'd probably speak of retro-bopLOL

Edited by Sean Trane - 21 Aug 2013 at 10:09am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 3:20am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Speaking of subtlety, I'm very interested in hearing that acoutsic/techno album you reviewed just the other day, John. It sounds like it'd be very, very interesting

you can hear album in full here:

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 8:14am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

you can hear album in full here:

Excellent, thanks, Slava - checking it out now Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 12:31pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgSlTHBif8

It has been a while since this discussion, but I wanted to clarify with an example that I found. This is Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden playing live. On this tune he establishes a kind of straight-eighth groove that is neither latin or post-bop, due to emphasizing the downbeats. It probably takes its roots from jazz fusion, but I want to clarify that I don't dislike jazz fusion. There's just something ugly about this groove that tries to deceive the listener into thinking that it swings when it doesn't. In fact, I feel like I almost hear this groove even in modern bop that DOES swing. Due to this it's hard for me to enjoy modern jazz. Can any of you hear what I'm describing?

-Jean Sibelius
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 7:36pm
I appreciate what you are saying here and I will try to respond in a series of posts.

You might want to read this site's definition of Post Fusion Contemporary and Post Bop to get an idea of how we deal with these issues. To that I would add that this piece falls right between the two genres and it would be difficult to decide which one it is.

An over simplified definition of the two genres might break down to; Contemporary doesn't swing, but Post Bop does. This piece you posted does not swing overall, but the pianist's note runs do swing, hence the difficulty in applying a tag.

I didn't really dislike this piece, but its not my favorite either. There is a sort of formal modern element to this music, but I wouldn't say that all modern jazz sounds like this.
There is an amazing variety in today's jazz world, and music that swings is still alive and well, although at the same time, people seem to be more and more accepting of jazz that doesn't swing.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 7:52pm
I listen to all  kinds of music, and I own a lot of music that definitely has that swing feel, whether its bop, hard bop or leaning towards the avant-garde.

Websters Dictionary describes jazz as music that has syncopated rhythm (along with other features), yet many trusted jazz resources are willing to accept new music that has little, or even no syncopation, as jazz. I had a hard time with that when we first started working on this site, but I'm willing to go along with it to a certain extent.

The piece you posted actually has some swing to it, there is other "jazz" music these days that has even less of a swing feel than this one.
Also, this piece has a certain formal feel to it, but less formal than some other music I have heard.
Once again, I thought this piece was okay, but some of this modern jazz that gets so formal sounding and has no syncopation at all is not something I would enjoy listening to.

Still, this piece does represent a big portion of modern jazz, but at the same time, look around, you will still find plenty of jazz that swings, and not just retro artists repeating the past.

Many older artists who started out in the avant-garde as youngsters have re-explored hard swing and the sweaty, gritty, bluesy roots of jazz, artists like Henry Threadgill and Archie Shepp come to mind, but there are plenty more who keep the modern exploration of music that swings alive.

Edited by js - 26 Dec 2013 at 7:59pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 9:59am

It has been a while since this discussion, but I wanted to clarify with an example that I found. This is Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden playing live. On this tune he establishes a kind of straight-eighth groove that is neither latin or post-bop, due to emphasizing the downbeats. It probably takes its roots from jazz fusion, but I want to clarify that I don't dislike jazz fusion. There's just something ugly about this groove that tries to deceive the listener into thinking that it swings when it doesn't. In fact, I feel like I almost hear this groove even in modern bop that DOES swing. Due to this it's hard for me to enjoy modern jazz. Can any of you hear what I'm describing?

Not only that I am not a musician, I'm also tone deaf, so I leave aside the technical stuff behind the music and try to enjoy the music.What I expect from the music is either to be groovy, to make me want to move my body, or to touch my soul(I mostly prefer the lyrical music). I find the tune you're talking about neither groovy enough, nor touching enough.
Here is a sample of 'modern' jazz that I like

Edited by idlero - 28 Dec 2013 at 9:59am
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Not only that I am not a musician, I'm also tone deaf, so I leave aside the technical stuff behind the music and try to enjoy the music.What I expect from the music is either to be groovy, to make me want to move my body, or to touch my soul(I mostly prefer the lyrical music). I find the tune you're talking about neither groovy enough, nor touching enough.
Here is a sample of 'modern' jazz that I like

I liked that example. In this case I suppose what I'm primarily focusing on is modern bop jazz musicians.

-Jean Sibelius
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 10:39am
I know what you mean, Amilisom. There are plenty of technically good players around today, but they don't have the sound and feel of the originals in the 50s and 60s (and earlier). Also, the recording engineers don't get the sound that they did back then - thinking of Rudy van Gelder in particular. Nowadays, there are dozens of mikes and the recordings have lost that original sound. The bass has a nasal. trebly sound that I really dislike, and you will never find a drummer or a recording of drums that have that 60s feel to it - that is partly because drum kits have changed a lot.

I got a fairly recent "Impulse" (not the real Impulse) album by a pianist, and it sounds as if my head has been stuck inside the piano with the lid closed.  It is way too overwhelming.

Another point is that today's horn players, though well trained, tend to have a very thin, generic tone, with little feeling or soul to it. This makes five-piece saxophone sections in big bands sound very dull and uninteresting, compared with, say, Benny Goodman's saxophone section. Some of this problem is due to the fact that the early saxophone players played horns by Conn, Buescher and Martin that had a bigger sound (even though the keywork wasn't as comfortable as on today's instruments).

Getting back to the drums, up to the late 1960s, K Zildjian cymbals were still made in Turkey, and they had a fabulous sound. Any surviving ones today are worth a fortune. Then, Zildjian moved its manufacturing to the U.S. and the new cymbals were nowhere near as good as the Turkish ones. They still aren't. Zidljians consulted with Elvin Jones and they came out with a range called K Constantinople. I have three of those, and they are very nice, but they still lack the old sound. There is a solution to this, though, which most drummers are probably not aware of. A guy called Agop, who worked for Zildjians in Istanbul, opened his own cymbal factory in Turkey. Just a few years ago, they brought out a limited edition series called "Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary". Those cymbals are amazing, and are the real thing. I have the 13" hihats, the 18" crash and the 22" ride. Each is an orchestra unto itself. What a big sound! I wish that I could have Jo Jones over, to hear those hihats.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 12:38am
^ Cool stuff about the cymbals. Never knew that. Thumbs Up
Though I've always been curious as to why/how they got the drum sounds in the past. Esp late 60s/70s the drum sounds were usually fantastic IMO (and not just jazz), at least when the recording was up to snuff.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 11:56am
The type of drums changed toward the end of the 60s, and rock drummers use different equipment from that used by jazz drummers. It is quite common for there to be no vellum on the front of the bass.

Although some rock drummers are technically very good, rock drumming bores me to tears. A lot of rock drummers have so much gear onstage that it looks as if they bought the whole store. There is a veritable forest of stuff, and it's ridiculous when you consider how much noise Art Blakey could make with just a 5-piece kit.

I once played a jazz gig where our drummer had to use a rock drummer's massive kit that was already onstage. He almost disappeared in the forest, and he said plaintively "I'm over here, Stan" to the pianist! He extracted a 5-piece subset of the equipment and played on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic