JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of the Marbles

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which version do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [50.00%]
2 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of the Marbles
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 2:36am
"Marbles" was a classic early jazz-rock song, with a repeating riff that was a cross between an Indian tamboura and Memphis RnB, it created a great groove for 70s style cosmic solos.
You can hear both versions on our front page videos for the next few days. If it is later in the week and the expiration date has expired, just go to the home pages of John McLaughlin and the Santana band to hear these songs.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:58am
Santana/Buddy Miles Band version is heavy on keyboards and full of raw energy, smells like Woodstock '68 for me. McLaughlin version is more complex, not so emotional, even a bit calculated, my vote goes to John.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 8:20am
Evening it up with a vote for Carlos - enjoying all the keyboard too - I think Slava's right too about John's being subtler.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:45pm
I can enjoy each atmosphere as recording at that time enough. The Santana version is still powerful. I like the McLaughlin version, but like performances such as Lifetime personally. I went to Santana.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic