JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ideal-Quartet/Quintet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideal-Quartet/Quintet
    Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 8:15am
As a bit of a hypothetical exercise but for discussion too, list your potential (living) ideal (or at least potentially interesting) quartet/quintet.  If you have the energy, add an 'all time' one too.

I'll start with a living quartet I'd like to hear perform:

Herbie Hancock - piano
Peter Knight - trumpet
Jimmy Cobb - drums
Miroslav Vitouš - bass

Not sure exactly how it would sound, but I think Herbie and Knight would work together in terms of their willingness to experiment. Herbie is almost as restless as Miles was when it comes to exploring styles, and Peter Knight has recently been experimenting with the laptop as an instrument. Aside from that I like his World Fusion/Nu-jazz work with Way Out West.

Cobb is versatile but has been on some truly landmark recordings too - and part of me imagined this quartet would do something thematic a la Sketches - or certainly something that had modal and experimental overtones. Miroslav I've thrown in there because I find his playing and composing interesting a lot of the time - not sure exactly how he'd fit in, but I know if I chose Carter, for instance, it might be too familiar to have him and Herbie together.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 03 Aug 2012 at 8:16am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 10:55am
My crazy avant-bop quartet

Mingus: bass
Max Roach: drums
Sun Ra: piano
Eric Dolphy: alto sax

They would play standards, but in ways you never heard before. Shocked
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 12:04am
I was thinking of how both Pete Cosey and Jon Lord passed away recently and thought what a great psychedelic blues rock band those two would make, so here is a jazzy psychedelic blues rock group that can also get a bit avant-garde.

Pete Cosey / guitar
Jon Lord / organ
Jack Bruce / bass, vocals
Buddy Miles / drums, vocals
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 2:59am
All time ideal quartet:
Coltrane,
Tyner,
Jones
and .... Mingus

And for a quintet, add Herbie Mann (flute) or McLaughlin

Oh yeah, they'd play the logical continuation between ALS (or Africa/Brass) and BSatSL, but with the added possibility of flute and/or guitar 

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 Aug 2012 at 3:16am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:11am
OK, that didn't last too long ...

Dhafer Youssef (his own band) - vocals, oud
Tigran Hamasyan (his own band)  - piano, el piano 
Duncan Bellamy (Portico quartet) - Hang Drum & percussion
Danny Thompson (Pentangle, John Martyn, etc...) - contrabass
Jeremy Steig  His own band) - flute

They'd play a modern brand of world fusion

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 Aug 2012 at 3:13am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:20am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

My crazy avant-bop quartet

Mingus: bass
Max Roach: drums
Sun Ra: piano
Eric Dolphy: alto sax

They would play standards, but in ways you never heard before. Shocked

Yeah, that sounds pretty damn good - would Mingus or Sun Ra do most of the composing on non-standards? Which standard do you think would be most interesting?

Originally posted by js js wrote:

I was thinking of how both Pete Cosey and Jon Lord passed away recently and thought what a great psychedelic blues rock band those two would make, so here is a jazzy psychedelic blues rock group that can also get a bit avant-garde.

Pete Cosey / guitar
Jon Lord / organ
Jack Bruce / bass, vocals
Buddy Miles / drums, vocals

Thats' another great line-up - would love to see them do a live set. Especially Jack and Buddy singing together, nice contrast there. And Bruce and Lord too, great

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

All time ideal quartet:
Coltrane, Tyner, Jones and .... Mingus
And for a quintet, add Herbie Mann or Jeremy Steig (flute) or McLaughlin

for the still living.... I'll come back on it.

I'd like to see McLaughlin in that Quintet, sounds fiery indeed.  What do you think they'd do a good cover of? 'Meeting of the Spirits'?  'Haitian Fight Song?'
Reviews...
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:46pm
David Cross - Violin
Robert Fripp - Guitar
Bill Bruford - Drums
John Wetton - Bass
Jamie Muir - Precussion

oh, wait...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 7:24am
Re Ashley, the set list for the avant-bop quartet: 
Some obscure T Monk songs
Some of Parker's more out songs like "Koko", give Dolphy a chance to go off.
The open ended hard bop jams by Ra and Mingus like "Calling All Demons" and "Haitian Fight Song".
Ellington is a big part of all these guys, so there would be an Ellington tune or two, maybe a ballad, something obscure again.
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

David Cross - ViolinRobert Fripp - GuitarBill Bruford - DrumsJohn Wetton - BassJamie Muir - Precussionoh, wait...

Larks' Tongues in Aspic perhaps? Oh, yeah
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:35pm
Piano: Ahmad Jamal/McCoy Tyner hybrid
Bass: Charles Mingus
Drums: Kenny Clarke
If I had to have a horn player, I would choose Paul Desmond. Or Eric Dolphy, for the other end of the spectrum.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:46am
^ nice, I like the idea of hybrid players.
I might meld Hancock with Hiromi perhaps!

^^
Hearing them do some Ellington would be ace, John - and some with Monk and Parker thrown it that'd be a crazy set.
I'd like to see what they would do with one of my favourite more odd pieces, by Jazz/Classical composer 'Moondog'

Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic