JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dødsverk - nu jazz, avant jazz, jazz related rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dødsverk - nu jazz, avant jazz, jazz related rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dødsverk - nu jazz, avant jazz, jazz related rock
    Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 9:22am
a norwegian mid 90s metal act which on the first album Sjelefred had STRONG nu jazz elements, and free jazz elements, swing elements, bop elements, and other fairly jazz-related elements to their alt metal sound, the second and last album is less so, with non jazz elements, but the first album Sjelefred SHOULD be listen to for full as all songs have jazz elements of some sort, and i think the band is a healthy edition to the norwegian nu jazz scene and aso will show how creative the nu jazz and jazz scene in norway was, it is similar to bands like Shining and the jazz elements is not far from Jaga, only more crazy, the briskyness of Jaga is there,

this is a legal site, so listen here, the first album is the shellfish motived cover, listen to it and make a coment if you think it will pass http://www.gogoyoko.com/artist/dodsverk

http://open.spotify.com/album/3Ws27Trf6cYZ5hZg9UCsmU

look for this album cover on gogoyoko and listen to the album and make up what you think of the jazz elements

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/covers/d%C3%B8dsverk-sjelefred-20120406171528.jpg

Edited by Asmodean - 24 Jun 2012 at 10:16am
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 12:18pm
to put it straight, the first album is pure jazz metal, the second album is pure avant metal, (so it is a non jazz album) but the first album is 100% jazz metal with 60-70% jazz elements mixed with metal, and alternative,  this album are there some songs where the jazz arangements are in the senter and not the metal structure, which means it is metal influenced jazz for most of it, the musicians is handling the instruments in jazz flaire and not sounds like a metal band playing jazz but the other way around
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 3:57am

i will compare the album to Planet X and to Derek Sherinian, and they are both in jazz related rock section (both are metal fusion though), just that Dødsverk use hornsection also, which is quite jazzy, like a metal version of Chicago,

• Vanlig Dag - Dødsverk   heavy jazz fusion metal, free jazz, and funk
    • Slave Uten Lenker - Dødsverk funky metal, with jazz imporv bridge, solos, jazz fusion midsection
    • Paradis I Praxis - Dødsverk funk/metal, vailing saxes, heavy jazz fusion parts, with atmopherical section, akin to Crimson esque, jazz parts, bop influence
    • Sjelefred - Dødsverk swingy but very heavy, shuffle groove, groovy saxophonne, funky, bop. jazz fusion midle section
    • Fanget Frihet - Dødsverk nu jazz, atmopherical, electronica ambient, post rock, heavy, delicate use of viberaphone,
    • Tid Som Er Forbi - Dødsverk heavy jazz, fusion, funk, swing,, groovy, reminds of 21 Century Schitzoid mam, in its free form, nu jazz section
    • Patetisk Klimax - Dødsverk light heavy funny jazz funk. like P-funk, Bootsy Collins,
    • Paradis I Praksis - Dødsverk, rubbery, jazz, Steely dan esque, odd time sigs, nu jazz, delicate guitar plaing in jazz style, swing, post rock
    • Seierherre - Dødsverk insane without comparising,, jazz, fusion, groovy,
    • Blomst - Dødsverk - jazz rock, odd time sigs, post rock

utraditional metal/rock instruments: Saxophone, trombone, fender rhodes, organ, vibearphone, piano, moogs, 

the non jazz album "Song for All the Family" is more heavy avant symphonic prog rock (none suits) songs is conctructed around mellotrons and symphoic structures, and ambience rather then jazz and crazy, it is symphonic (some tingles of jazz gutiar chords here and there), prog, non really far of ELP and Genesis in bombast, just more metal and noise and alternative, (think of more melodic, less psychadelic Stupid Dream version of PT, more symphonic and avant garfde rythems), the symph side of Crimson, married with dissonance Crimson, rather then jazz and minimalistic Crimson (which the alnbum Sjelefred is more close to Big smile),

the drumming can remidns of more rappid Bruford, and guitars is quite Frippish, even the chord structures is more Crimsonic, on this album, .

Sjelefred is avant-garde, jazz., alternative, funk, nu jazz, ambient, polka, metal album.

Fun For All the Family is avant-garde, symphonic, crimsonic, jazzy, metal album

Edited by Asmodean - 25 Jun 2012 at 6:37am

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 11:35am
i still would suggest listening to the one album i am pointing at, or atleast give a coments and a a thorough analyse of the one album i suggested would fit PERFECT in jazz related rock, as it is really free jazz and fusion inspired, with also traces of contemporary music influence

sorry to be nagging, but when i REALLY hear jazz and make some effort to prove it, it also would be nice with some responce of both the negative and more positive side of things

i know when i hear interesting jazzy elements in bands and this band is pretty unique in many aspects and also needs more thorough listening as the music is very complex

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 11:49am
I agree that there' some complex stuff in there, but there's too much metal and other elements for them to really fit JR Rock - in terms of the rhythm section and the way they use the Jazz instruments - they use the sax for instance, like a lead instrument in a rock or metal band, rather than like a instrument for jazz music.

Having said all that, I really like them, especially that first album - I like the Faith No More/Mr Bungle feel but I just feel they don't fit in JMA
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:10pm
the sax player on the album have a master degree in conemporary music on the Oslo music conservatory, and is a teacher on the same school, 

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

I agree that there' some complex stuff in there, but there's too much metal and other elements for them to really fit JR Rock - in terms of the rhythm section and the way they use the Jazz instruments - they use the sax for instance, like a lead instrument in a rock or metal band, rather than like a instrument for jazz music.

Having said all that, I really like them, especially that first album - I like the Faith No More/Mr Bungle feel but I just feel they don't fit in JMA
my favourite song is perhaps Apati from the second album but the song Blomst and Slaver Uten Lenker is two wonderfull tracks from the first album, i also like the wild nature of the album

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 10:40pm
Yeah, that wildness is great, even in the outro of 'Vanlig dag' it's there in say the organ. 'Sjelefred' is perhaps my fav from their first album
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 1:19am
the song patetisk climax is the most jazzy song on the album ^

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic