JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paulo Bellinati

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paulo Bellinati
    Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:16pm
Hello there!

Once again I'd like to suggest an entry on JMA for a Brazilian artist: Paulo Bellinati, as you must have guessed by the title. Mr. Bellinati is both known for his great skill on the acoustic guitar and for his research on Aníbal Augusto Sardinha (a.k.a. "Garoto"). He has also made renditions of some of Antonio Carlos Jobim's songs (such as "Luiza" and "Garoto Choro" in his album "Serenata", "A Felicidade", "Gabriela", "Brigas Nunca Mais", "Moda de Viola" and "Gabriela")  and some of Baden Powell's as well (most notably the "Afro-Sambas" along with Mônica Salmaso), not to mention his own songs and of other Brazilian composers, such as Chico Buarque, Dilermando Reis and Radamés Gnattali.

Mr. Bellinati has also, as I mentioned earlier, done a great research about Garoto, considered by many to be one of the founders of Bossa Nova, recovering his songs and biography. It might of interest of you that Garoto traveled to the United States to support Carmen Miranda on a tour, where he had some contact with Jazz, which, according to Mr. Bellinati, was a profound influence on his compositions. Should you ever listen to Mr. Bellinati's renditions of Garoto's songs (and I strongly reccomend you do so), you'll easily notice that the harmony is very jazzy, although the rhytms are typical of Brazil (e.g. "samba", "choro" and brazilian waltzes). There are, unfortunately, very few records of Garoto playing himself - the only reason I do not ask him to be featured in JMA.

A video of Paulo Bellinati playing "Meditação" and "Lamentos do Morro", both by Garoto (sorry for the bad quality):
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:50pm
Thanks a lot, nice music.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:55am
Added
Oneiromante View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:10pm
I'd like to add that Mr. Bellinati has another album called "A Felicidade", released in 2008, with the following tracks:
1. A Felicidade (4:35)
2. Valsa-Bebel (3:06)
3. Undiú (3:25)
4. Valsa Brasileira (4:04)
5. Joana Francesa (3:09)
6. Beatriz (4:00)
7. Dezenove (4:01)
8. Fernanda (2:55)
9. Brigas Nunca Mais (3:25)
10. Chora Coração (3:17)
11. Gabriela - Moda de Viola (7:08)

Line-up:
-Paulo Bellinati/ acoustic guitars

A little extra information:
"A Felicidade", "Gabriela", "Moda De Viola", "Brigas Nunca Mais" and "Chora Coração" were written by Antonio Carlos Jobim.
"Valsa-Bebel" and "Undiú" were written by João Gilberto.
"Beatriz" and "Valsa Brasileira" were written by Chico Buarque & Edu Lobo.
"Joana Francesa" was written by Chico Buarque.
"Dezenove" and "Fernanda" were written by Paulo Bellinati
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:12pm
and by the way, the line-up from "Serenata", "Lira Brasileira" and "The Guitar Works of Garoto":
-Paulo Bellinati/ acoustic guitar

the line-up from "Os Afro-Sambas":
-Mônica Salmaso/ voice
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Oneiromante Oneiromante wrote:

and by the way, the line-up from "Serenata", "Lira Brasileira" and "The Guitar Works of Garoto":

the line-up from "Os Afro-Sambas":
-Mônica Salmaso/ voice

Thanks! Updated just now
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Oneiromante Oneiromante wrote:

I'd like to add that Mr. Bellinati has another album called "A Felicidade", released in 2008, with the

Thanks again, Oneiromante - added
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:52am
how can I send you some of his songs for mp3 streaming?
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 7:02am
You can send me uploaded song link (by PM), I will add it
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 4:45am
AddedSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic