Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On Why Jazz Isn't Cool Anymore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On Why Jazz Isn't Cool Anymore
    Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 11:29am
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 1:33pm
hmmmm........I do not think that Jazz died in 1959. I do understand though many musicians do not like to be pigeon holed but to say he plays ( post modern New Orleans music) Wink Hey that is Jazz
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 7:09am
There is nothing romantic about poor, scuffling Jazz musicians.

That's a cool statement indeed. It could be amended to 'musician' too.

Though as Matt said, for a poem asking to do away with a certain label, saying he play[s] Postmodern New Orleans music is interesting. Obviously he's using it as a historical term as distinct from post-colonial or colonialism, rather than a literary or musical term, but still ...

from the 'About Me' section

"Nicholas Payton is the embodiment of every trumpet player who came before him, and he leads the way for all who follow"
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 2:16am
Honestly, before I read the blog, Ive always felt jazz lost its "coolness" sometime in the 70s, or after the 70s, especially when it became an academic study at colleges and universities. But I would disagree with most of that blog, and would say jazz lost its coolness around 1977. Between 1959 and 1976 is some of the best jazz ever made.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic