JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just a few pretty tracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these do you enjoy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
2 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 3:16am
We just added Mirouze. What is Raphael's full name?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:22pm
Phil Raphaël.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:35pm
tanks
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 1:00pm
No worries.

In regards to the poll, I'm surprised to see see so few votes.  No votes for Even Later (Zuri Dance is a particular fave of mine off Cirrus), I would have thought Cirrus a popular enough album in jazz circles to get some votes, not to mention, of course,  Alice Coltrane -- I think that's a terrific track off of a wonderful album.

Perhaps Rosewood off of Cirrus would have gota few votes -- fantastic track.  I know there's a Woody Shaw fan here other than me, and this was arranged by him.

------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's a tarck off a great album that someone who knows my tastes even better than me recommended to me some time ago.  Hope someone here enjoys it.  It's The Spanis Suite from Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 8:50pm
Re Raphael:
Some people might say that the well-known cult favorite soundtrack to the Lesbian Vampires movie is similar to Raphael's work, but I think Raphael's music is much more sophisticated and less campy than Lesbian Vampires.
Once again, Flying Lotus has some similarities to Raphael, but not his piano work.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 12:19pm
Wow, that Alice Coltrane track surely is beautiful (and intriguing, sounding almost like some krautrock). Thanks Greg. I saw your poll with it on PA but didn't get around to checking it out. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:27pm
I'm a bit disappointed that only two people liked any of the music enough to vote over several weeks.  Like any other musical forum, I'm obviously going to be very much in the minority here as well -- though at least here, I do love the big jazz names.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:30pm
I wouldn't be too disappointed, its still a small site and what few people are here may not have seen this, as for me, I thought a lot of this music was very interesting and we ended up adding some artists and albums for artists already here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:06pm
 I don't really mind -- I was only very mildly disappointed.  I think many more people must have seen this topic than posted since I have seen a  fair amount of activity here (though mostly before in the What Are Listening To? thread) and there weren't a lot of new topics to bury this one -- though i guess not everyone like me keeps their eyes on the new posts section).

I wouldn't expect many people to bother with it.  It's hardly a riveting topic title, nor did I choose exciting pieces, I went for quite lovely with the poll choices, and such lovely music is a dime-a-dozen.  Not everyone would like to take the time to check out random youtube tracks by some kinda new forum guy, or by anyone. 

Still, I do appreciate the interest of those who have posted in this topic and don't mean to belittle my appreciation there.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:15pm
Next time if you want more attendance , you should try some jazz related rock/fusion/AG..
By the way, there's nothing wrong in being in minority.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:41pm
What, you mean like my  Mwandishi related albums poll?  I don't really care about attendance.  That may have got twice as many votes as this one, but it also has less posts, and I care more about posts than votes, since I make polls to talk about music with people.  I also responded to a lot of other topics here in a short time since I like and know a lot of the music being discussed at this site.

I was just hoping that more would enjoy this kind of music (it's hardly the only music I listen to).

I don't want to talk about Fusion that much here -- generally I'd rather talk not rock related jazz, because I belong to a  progressive rock site where I talk about jazz-rock Fusion often and don't need replication of the same kind of music and topics I'd talk about more there here.  At this site I'm hoping to learn far more from jazz aficionados than I  would at a site full of philistines ;) who tend to listen to more rock than jazz..  This community happens to share a lot of the same members as that site, of course, and I said the last sentence with my tongue-in-my-cheek.

Anyway, just for fun, maybe I'll try this poll at the allaboutjazz forum. 

Edited by Logan - 18 Nov 2011 at 1:44pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:51pm
I think he was being sarcastic and kidding with you. A lot of the people here are mostly into jazz-rock and/or avant-garde, but that's not everybody. Some of us like a lot of other things as well.

Edited by js - 18 Nov 2011 at 1:52pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:54pm
No sarcasm here, just observation of reality.
seven out of ten reviews on front page are jazz related rock
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:08pm
^it's not surprising since this site is a sister site of a Progressive Rock site, and Metal site, and how many of this community came from ProgArchives?  So it's not your typical jazz community.  I love fusion/ electric jazz (discovering Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and related was revelatory to me), and of course I love avant-garde music.

Unlike with Prog generallyy, I do love the big names as well.  I'm listening to John Coltrane right now, and I find the popular jazz lists have very engaging music for me.  Take this amazon one:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/05/greatest-jazz-albums-of-all-time/

I'll take that top ten over PA''s any day.  Shape of Jazz to Come, A Love Supreme, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, those are all-time fave albums of mine and have been for decades, and I see those on many popular jazz lists (haven't checked out JMA's yet).  So I'm more mainstream in a jazz community than with other forms of music such as rock (well, I love a lot of mainstream classical music too).

PS. That top five albums at JMA doesn't make me feel like a loner.  I love Crossings and In a Silent Way (though my favourite Davis studio fusion albums are Big Fun and Get Up With It).

Edited by Logan - 18 Nov 2011 at 2:16pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:13pm
No need to justify yourself, I'm not mainstream in jazz and I feel fine with it
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:24pm
I like mainstream jazz and avant-garde, maybe I'm not supposed to, ha. See you guys later, I'm off to work.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:02pm
I think John's right, as a youngish site we have less votes on polls, but more discussion - definitely a plus. And I too liked this post in general, Logan - especially Janko - been saving him for my next big Amazon order, very keen to get a hold of that album (among others you posted!)
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 7:28am
That piece from Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble is ace too. Added to my ever-growing list of albums to hunt down
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:36pm
I liked the Herbie Mann tune, Ive always enjoyed his music. What album is that from?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I liked the Herbie Mann tune, Ive always enjoyed his music. What album is that from?
It's from "Stone Flute".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic