Poll Question: Which version is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [100.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flamenco Sketches
    Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 10:19am
So, which one for you?

It's my favourite piece from the album, but both versions are exquisite. One of the obvious differences would be between the sax solos, and overall I prefer them on the alternate take that appears on CD reissues (which, as you'd no doubt know, is the first take the band recorded.) 

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 14 Aug 2011 at 10:45pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 1:55pm
I agree. I went with the alternate take
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 4:03pm
I have the LP, but I don't have the CD, maybe some day.

Edited by js - 13 Aug 2011 at 5:51pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 4:59pm
I only have the original without the Alt take so no good here. Bought the album twice, the original cd release and updated to one of those new fangled great sounding BluSpec formats from good old Japan. Bought nearly all my fave Miles on Blu Spec
4 albums all up was the number. 
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:36am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I agree. I went with the alternate take

Something about it, huh? I think even Bill is a little more prominent in it too, not that he was lost in the other take, but as I love Bill, that's another plus

Originally posted by js js wrote:

I have the LP, but I don't have the CD, maybe some day.

Hi John, here's a youtube link. Of course, sound quality is only youtube level, but it's the right take at least Smile

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I only have the original without the Alt take so no good here. Bought the album twice, the original cd release and updated to one of those new fangled great sounding BluSpec formats from good old Japan. Bought nearly all my fave Miles on Blu Spec

So what's the BluSpec like, Matt? What do your ears tell you about the sound quality between that and CD? I've yet to hear any CDs in the BS format, and am interested to see what you think.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 9:10am
Thanks for the clip Ashley, I'll have some time to compare later today.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:40pm

So what's the BluSpec like, Matt? What do your ears tell you about the sound quality between that and CD? I've yet to hear any CDs in the BS format, and am interested to see what you think.
[/QUOTE] Great sound, crystal actually but like all those formats you probaly get about a 5% better quality but it was worth it for me. It is about as good as I will ever get the sound and that is why I replaced them from the original Columbia releases which I don't find bad anyway. You have to remember that it was all done in the fifties and sixties without the benefit a million track modern mixing board etc. The four I paid top dough for ( I will play them to the day I drop) "Milestones", Kind Of Blue", "Miles Smiles" and "In a Silent Way" should have got "Round Midnight" or "ESP" or "Kilamanjaro" as well but they were around $35 a pop. I did buy the first edition in this format and it sold out before release. Most likely there has been another. Did you know that Coltrane's "A love Supreme" was released in a crystal format. The price was in the hundreds. Even a bit far by my standards LOL

One other note the SHM format you can get over there has as only the slightest if any difference to the original good editions.

Here is link if you have not seen the site cdjapan

Not only Jazz but many a fine rare Pysche or Prog album over there Cool
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:15pm
I'll go with the alternate too. The band is more confident about their new style, everyone sounds really focused. Miles' solo is more abstract and witty and both sax solos are really unique and definitely feeding more off of what Bill Evans and Miles are trying to get to.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'll go with the alternate too. The band is more confident about their new style, everyone sounds really focused. Miles' solo is more abstract and witty and both sax solos are really unique and definitely feeding more off of what Bill Evans and Miles are trying to get to.

That's sort of the reason I like it better too. It's like, after the first take, they knew what was going on in the music and, like you said, were more confident in their playing. First takes are great, and of course, most jazz albums are first takes; it keeps the live atmosphere there in the studio. But once in a blue moon, the second or third is more inspired.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:26pm
Geek Also, the LP version has a lot more scratchy noises, whats up with that.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:41pm
I realize I said 'once in a blue moon'
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 2:17am

Great sound, crystal actually but like all those formats you probaly get about a 5% better quality but it was worth it for me. It is about as good as I will ever get the sound and that is why I replaced them from the original Columbia releases which I don't find bad anyway. You have to remember that it was all done in the fifties and sixties without the benefit a million track modern mixing board etc. The four I paid top dough for ( I will play them to the day I drop) "Milestones", Kind Of Blue", "Miles Smiles" and "In a Silent Way" should have got "Round Midnight" or "ESP" or "Kilamanjaro" as well but they were around $35 a pop. I did buy the first edition in this format and it sold out before release. Most likely there has been another. Did you know that Coltrane's "A love Supreme" was released in a crystal format. The price was in the hundreds. Even a bit far by my standards LOL

One other note the SHM format you can get over there has as only the slightest if any difference to the original good editions.

Here is link if you have not seen the site cdjapan

Not only Jazz but many a fine rare Pysche or Prog album over there Cool
[/QUOTE]

Cool - I will bookmark it and check one out when I have spare cash (whenever that ends up being hahaha!)
Woah, crystal format? Geeze, I doubt my ears could even discern much difference. Not saying I have hearing problems, but neither of my systems could really do justice to a format of crystal. Although, there's a chance I just wouldn't pick up much anyway - perhaps they're more valuable from a longevity standpoint? Some few of my CDs have began to 'rot' but they still play. I'll give em another 20 years and see where they are!

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 2:19am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I realize I said 'once in a blue moon'

Nice. Wink
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic