JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who Was The Better Composer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Miles Davis or Wayne Shorter within the Davis Quintet.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [66.67%]
8 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 6:09pm
Miles was great at concepts, new directions and fusing elements, but Shorter is the better writer in my opinion.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:21pm
Interesting, I'll have to think about it. The Second Great Quintet stuff is mostly Wayne Shorter, and Kind of Blue was mostly Bill Evans

Miles did compose some of the best pieces of jazz throughout his history though. I dont know, I'll have to think about this and maybe do a little research (listening) before i vote. Good poll though.

Edited by darkshade - 07 Apr 2011 at 12:05am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:01pm
Just thinking about a review I might do soon on Wayne. He wrote some awesome stuff. Sorcerer , Nefertiti, he wrote nearly the lot. What about "Sanctuary" from Bitches Brew. Miles had his greats though too , don't forget the entire "Kind of Blue" , also Miles or Milestones, depends on the edition of Milestones you own, "Sid's Ahead is on that album too. Something to ponder and we need a Poll Big smile
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic