JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Were Your First Few Jazz Albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Were Your First Few Jazz Albums?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:25am
What were your first jazz albums? Which albums got you started?

Technically, this was my first jazz record, back when I was in 6th or 7th grade

Of course, it wasn't until a few years later, while I was still a senior in high school in 2005, when I first got this album. How I came across this album is a long story involving a series of events. I was just getting my feet wet with progressive music, and then this album essentially opened up my eyes and ears to lots of new and interesting music. I think having enjoyed the Charlie Brown album so much as a kid, kinda prepared me for it. And I was coming off of mostly metal and hard rock.

After that I remember getting these albums.

It took a while before I started exploring non-fusion jazz, but I still love the above albums. How bout you guys?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 6:06am
This was my first jazz album:

Not bad for an introduction, eh?

I think I got it either in my first highschool year (at 15) or in the last gymnasium year (at 14). The band had just played in our town but I didn't go see them, but I was hyped enough to get the album. It sounded quite esoteric for me back then... Strange music.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 7:34am
Yikes.... In terms of pure jazz, this goes back to the mid-80's

if i don't count my father's jazz albums they weren't mine... and I'd have never bought them) or my first JR/F albums  of the very start of the 80's (I know that one is Santana's Caravanserai followed MO's Birds Of Fire and a tad later Miles' Bitches Brew)

theoretically,with pure jazz albums this would bought around 85 or 86 (best I can do)...  and it would be Trane's A Love Supreme, but Mingus' Black saint is right up there as well. but I couldn't possibly remember in which order the following  jazz vinyl albums came and that would include KOB, Sketches, Time Out and more timeless classics (all vinyls, btw... none of which I still own, I must say, except for Borboletta, Bitches and Caravanserai)

Somehow if I could tell  that with my rock albums around when (and sometimes even where) I bought them and in which order or chronology (as a teen, you tend to find it important, or it just sticks to you), in terms of jazz, I was somewhat much older, and these issues didn't seen to matter at all.

Edited by Sean Trane - 10 Aug 2011 at 3:23am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 7:37am
Some of my first jazz records were:
Keith Jarrett  "Fort Yaweh"
Chick Corea  "Return to Forever"
Coltrane  "Om"
all on 8 track tape.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 7:52am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Some of my first jazz records were:
Keith Jarrett  "Fort Yaweh"
Chick Corea  "Return to Forever"
Coltrane  "Om"
all on 8 track tape.

Yikes!!! that's ancient!! LOL
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 8:05am
My first jazz albums were lent to me by an older friend, when I was in my early twenties.

Coming from rock, metal and folk, I didn't get it right away - it probably took me a year, on and off, to come around. I guess sometimes it just takes a while to appreciate what's going on in jazz (part of what makes it so rewarding)

There are the three I was given

And I listened to them in that order too, from memory. When I finally got it, KOB received the most rotation, but I think it was Davis' version of "Round Midnight' that sold me on jazz.

Then it was straight to Bitches Brew and I was buried sound, coming up for air with Mahavishnu Orchestra and other albums of a more fusion-nature. Next came my second favourite Miles album

From memory, approximately the same time as either BB or Sketches..., I got Head Hunters by Hancock and was hooked. From there I went mostly into the post-bop area, with this, my second Hancock album, which is still one of my favourites years later

and which in turn led me to Freddie Hubbard and so on and so on!

Thanks for the opportunity to ramble here, great thread, Mike

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 09 Aug 2011 at 8:07am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 11:35am
No problem. The reasons I enjoyed jazz when I first got into it are sooo much different than they are now. It's probably similar for everyone here. When I first got into it, I was always looking for great electric/Rhodes piano work, or some funky bass work. Now it's all about the overall mood, but I'm into so many different sub-genres and have wrapped my head around jazz in general, that it's tough to say.

My first non-fusion albums were Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and E.S.P. (Way after getting into Miles fusion albums), and Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles (after getting into his fusion albums). The rest is history.

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

This was my first jazz album:

Not bad for an introduction, eh?

I think I got it either in my first highschool year (at 15) or in the last gymnasium year (at 14). The band had just played in our town but I didn't go see them, but I was hyped enough to get the album. It sounded quite esoteric for me back then... Strange music.

I like it!!! Who is that?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:26pm
^ I suggested them for JMA here: Jazz Unit / Romania

That track is a composition by Lucian Ban and Eduard Jak Neumann (who both have solo entries on JMA too). Unfortunately the album can't be accessed in any way. My cassette is lost, too, so if I ever get the mp3s in a way or another, I'm going to upload them to YouTube.

The best part of the album, or at least the one that fascinated me the most, was a track dedicated to Mingus and which started with more than one minute of a very realist simulation of the sounds emitted by an African cow herd and its shepherds (all done with musical instrument). That was amazing to listen at headphones, at night, in the dark. Took me to Africa...

Edited by harmonium.ro - 09 Aug 2011 at 3:26pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:52pm
^ Sounds really cool. I will have to check them out. Are they on the site?
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 4:34pm
Christ...I have no idea. Haha. I'm assuming it was something in the fusion field being I only started to get into jazz proper recently. Maybe Brand X's Moroccan Roll? I've also had some The Industrial Jazz Group stuff for what seems like quite a long time, so maybe their City Of Angels.

For jazz proper...idk...hmm...seriously I have no idea. Maybe Bitches Brew (yes yes...technicall jazz-rock but lord knows I can't tell Wink) But I'm drawing serious blanks here.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 5:45pm
If I'd been doing the cataloging thing many years ago I might be able to answer that.  Most likely stuff from ECM.
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:52am
In order of purchase (and in one case, in order of having heard after borrowing and then eventually buying from a friend):

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Carnegie Hall Live Volume 2
John McLaughlin: Extrapolation (on the original Marmalade label)
Lifetime: Turn It Over
Mike Westbrook: Marching Song
(Soft Machine: Volume 2 fits in here, on the cusp between underground music and jazz fusion, and indeed the underground music was somewhere between psychedelia and progressive music)
Miles Davis: Bitches Brew - in fact purchased after hearing Pete Drummond play the whole of Pharoah's Dance on BBC Radio 1 - sad to say that station lacks that sort of imagination anymore.

I may add, working at the end of the 60's in a record department of a well know British chain as a Saturday job, I had access to LPs which might have ended up in the dumper bins during  sales - and that's where I found the first two for less than10 bob, (50 pence nowadays) !!!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 4:01pm
I don't remember clearly but it was Miles......"Bitches Brew"( definitely first). "Round about Midnight", 'Milestones" and "Kind of Blue" and "Blue Trane" by Coltrane or Moanin' by Art Blakey. But I was starting to pick up Blue Note albums as well.
Primarily started with Miles though. That cover on Bitches Brew always had me curious about what music it contained for years and back then and still now to a degree I personally found that Rock and Pop had pretty much done it all. As you may know I find a lot of those Alternate and Indie bands are just not me and I was going to a music store and thinking there is nothing I want so I took up Jazz, Latin and African music. Result, Boredom no more Cool
Have I mentioned Hard Bop rules Big smile

Always played Country though, from when I first shot out of me mum.Wink

Matt
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 1:02pm
I'm pretty sure it was an album by Jimmy Smith because I loved the sound of the Hammond B3 ever since I'd heard Dave "Baby" Cortez's 45 single of "The Happy Organ."  Not sure if I was ready for what Smith was doing, though, and the fact that I don't still have that LP proves that it went over my head.  "Streetnoise" by Brian Auger and the Trinity may have been the first one that I liked enough to keep but that one opened me up to all sorts of possibilities.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:46pm
Hi,

My first taste of "jazz" was in Brazil ... Getz, Jobim, and a few others, that pretty much became synonymous with a lot of music in the 60's in Brazil, some of which really stuck it out good. Later on, Milton (Nascimiento) and then later Gismonti and a few others that defy the description of music and jazz!

A lot of it preceeded the "fame" and the "radio" era like the American Black music that was wiped out in the 50's in favor of the movie stars and fame game.

Edited by Moshkito - 15 Aug 2011 at 8:48pm
Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 7:55am
The first jazz albums I really got into were The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady by Mingus, and Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival 1965 by John Handy.

Edited by Noak2 - 20 Aug 2011 at 7:55am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 10:49pm

I was listening to hard rock and prog rock well at student's time. However, jazz was an unknown territory for me.

However, the music to which I listened at infancy time and the music to which it listens in one's teens are connected with jazz. It was felt that it was inevitable.

Tune of Art Blakey to which I listened on radio by chance. And, 8:30 of Weather Report to which it listens by chance in the library of the university.

These have expanded my interest in jazz.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Tune of Art Blakey to which I listened on radio by chance. And, 8:30 of Weather Report to which it listens by chance in the library of the university.

These have expanded my interest in jazz.

I also started my interest in fusion with Weather Report (Black Market) Thumbs Up
Reserpine Wonk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reserpine Wonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:23am
I started learning piano at 16 and was babysitting for a couple with a huge record collection. In it was The Koln Concert.

My first teacher was really a drummer but he told me to start listening to Jazz 90 (in Philly). On one of my first few listens, they played Trane's "My Favorite Things."

So luckily, I was exposed to top tier stuff from the beginning.

Then, while in college, I got a job at a jazz CD shop. The owner was cool and allowed me to open any CD in the store to play it -- frequently, a customer would buy it as a result -- and let employees make purchases by paying cost only. This was when the first Penguin Guide came out so I'd give a listen to whatever Morton and Cook recommended. I spent just about everything I earned buying jazz CDs. But it was very nice at that time to be able to avoid clunkers.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:34am
^ Very cool! Welcome to JMA. I used to work for a CD retailer too - it was pretty damn good having access to amazing music at a staff discount! Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic