JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Hope you had a great hoiliday Guigo. I suppose it was some exotic location in Brazil.  Personally I am as jealous as anything if it was. I would love to see the Amazon.

I've been in some "exotic" places: Lisbon, Rome, Paris, London... Tongue well, wife came with me and also during part of the trip, my mother-in-law (aka the serpent) and our 15 yo youngest kid. Big smile

Edited by Atkingani - 10 Jan 2012 at 8:03pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Thank you for sharing a video of MPB4. I was not familiar with them very much. However, those videos were wonderful. As for the live broadcasting of 2008 in particular, I still see them energetically. And they evolved.

I remember MPB4 and Quarteto Em Cy as vocal group, but are those groups still known well? I still think that it should be loved for a listener and a fan.

Quarteto Em Cy, 1966 (song composed by Chico Buarque)

Quarteto Em Cy, 2001 (song composed by Tom Jobim)

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:22pm
Thank you for sharing this, Guigo.Smile I was often interested in old Brazilian music. Because I felt that I introduced the music that recent Sergio Mendez and Marcos Valle were modern as a honest opinion, I did not listen to those albums too much. However, I like both Sergio Mendez and Marcos Valle.

And I think that it is good that a splendid group such as MPB4 and Quarteto Em Cy energizes even if it is the 2000s.Smile
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:52pm
Frevo is pure magic:

Maracatu has a long and weird tradition:

Pernambuco State, Brasil, the land of frevo and maracatu:

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:35pm
Gal Costa is a super-diva:

Maybe she has a place here. Smile 
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:45pm
Gal Costa started career with the psychedelic tropicalism of late 1960s (below, 1968).

Gal Costa sang fine bossa nova tunes:

Gal Costa, 2012 January (with Caetano Veloso):

Gal Costa was born in 1945 (she's now 66 going to 67).

Edited by Atkingani - 14 Jan 2012 at 7:35am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:18pm
That top cut reminded me that Os Mutantes showed up in the "Listening to Now" thread the other day. Wink
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 12:51am
Thank you, Guigo. I thought that all the videos of Gal Costa put here were splendid. As for the well known music such as Desafinado and Wave.

I thought that "Estrada Do Sol" was very splendid music personally. I like such mellow tune.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:31am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

That top cut reminded me that Os Mutantes showed up in the "Listening to Now" thread the other day. Wink

Right! Same era, same movement (tropicalismo), same fashion. Smile
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:14am
Samba-reggae, samba-axé, axé-music made the news here in the 80s and 90s... and until today:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:14pm
^ reminds me of listening to the radio in San Francisco in the late 80s.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:07pm
John, I just added this fine album by Sidney Miller:

Many tracks from it are available on YouTube, I labelled it "bossa nova" although the artist is under the Latin Jazz umbrella.

BTW, I lost contact with Miller's sister (she's almost 80), maybe she's not well and so I didn't make any additional pressure for her brother's biography. Better wait a bit.

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:52pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ reminds me of listening to the radio in San Francisco in the late 80s.

I missed this one, probably the no. 1 hit of axé-music: Smile

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:39pm
Re Miller genre tag: thanks for the add Guigo, its OK for our artists to have more than one tag, some have several.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 6:24pm
January 19: if still in our dimension Nara Leão (1942-1989), the muse of Bossa Nova, would celebrate her 70th birthday. Congrats, dear Nara.

Edited by Atkingani - 16 Jan 2012 at 6:24pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 6:26pm
19 January: 30 years without the goddess Elis Regina (1945-1982).

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 9:18pm
Thank you, Guigo. I have heard a rumor to do not get along with each other of Nara Leao and Elis Regina before. I did not understand the real intention, but, anyway, think that I am great together for bossa nova.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:30pm
Time for some leisure. Almost perfect synch. Tongue

Singer is Elza Soares in a 1963 recording.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:28pm
^ Fascinated by their beautiful / sensual motion. Embarrassed

Anyway, Só Danço Samba is a delightful song ... Vai vai vai vai vai ... VAI!  Cool
--

DamoXt7942

Guilt Is A Great Motivator.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

^ Fascinated by their beautiful / sensual motion. Embarrassed

Anyway, Só Danço Samba is a delightful song ... Vai vai vai vai vai ... VAI!  Cool

Só Danço Samba (I dance only samba), a song composed by Tom Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 20>
  Share Topic