JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Five Live Cuts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Five Live Cuts
    Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:30am
All right. How about a list of your top 5 (or more if you wish) live takes?

Feel free to jump around and in and out of genres, of course!   I'm quite interested, as I just finished listening to a live version of Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay and it tears the house down.   Sometimes the live versions of songs are simply better, or maybe the band tries a different tempo, or the solos have more passion, whatever it is, there's something about it.

So, what are yours? I'll update this post with my 5 later, snowed under at the moment but wanted to kick things off while I had a couple of minutes.

UPDATE:

Take Five
by Brubeck, from the Essential Jazz (Song) compilation. A snappier tempo, and a bit of extended soloing.

Red Clay
by Freddie Hubbard, from the Red Clay reissue. A harder, more vital cut. And they're having a blast playing it.

Winter in America 
by Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson, from the Winter in America reissue. Wider palette of instruments and they're looser.

Sagg Shootin His Arrow by Jimmy Smith. Just great to hear the guitar and organ together in an almost rock, funk, fusion setting, stretching out the song nicely.

Man of Leo by Go (Stomu Yamash'ta) which has some superior soloing from Di Meola especially.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 23 Jul 2011 at 9:38am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:13am
The first album that comes to my mind is Miles' "At Fillmore (Fillmore East)", not be confused with the lesser "Black Beauty (Fillmore West)".
On the Fillmore East album, Miles and his band play the material from Bitches Brew, but with a lot more understanding of what they want from it. Far more aggressive, focused and avant-garde than Brew, its an amazing record that contains some oft criticized keyboard "battles" between Corea and Jarret. Although some critics describe their assault as indulgent, I think it reflects the nature early 70s fusion when being indulgent was OK and even encouraged. In today's world it can sound a bit dated, but what they do with the Brew material is pretty incredible.
I know that isn't five, but that is what's  hitting me right now. An old friend of mine had some live Charlie Parker recordings that just blow away a lot of studio work I have heard from him, unfortunately I was young and I can not recall the names of those recordings, but I hope to hook up with them again someday.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 1:03pm
(all album cuts)

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 1:20pm
^ thanks for reminding me, that first VSOP album is incredible, three of Herbie's best bands; the Miles quintet (with Hubbard replacing Miles), The Sextet and The Headhunters all playing their ass off in separate performances on the same day.
Some of my bop leaning friends thought the Quintet performances were kind of heavy handed and over the edge (ie rockish) but its still a fun energetic performance.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:27am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The first album that comes to my mind is Miles' "At Fillmore (Fillmore East)", not be confused with the lesser "Black Beauty (Fillmore West)".
On the Fillmore East album, Miles and his band play the material from Bitches Brew, but with a lot more understanding of what they want from it. Far more aggressive, focused and avant-garde than Brew, its an amazing record that contains some oft criticized keyboard "battles" between Corea and Jarret. Although some critics describe their assault as indulgent, I think it reflects the nature early 70s fusion when being indulgent was OK and even encouraged. In today's world it can sound a bit dated, but what they do with the Brew material is pretty incredible.
I know that isn't five, but that is what's  hitting me right now. An old friend of mine had some live Charlie Parker recordings that just blow away a lot of studio work I have heard from him, unfortunately I was young and I can not recall the names of those recordings, but I hope to hook up with them again someday.

Interested to hear the 'East' album actually, as I have Black Beauty and remember finding myself feeling like something lacked, so the east would be great, thank you John
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:29am
That live version of 'Hang Up your Hang Ups' is great too, thanks dwill123

Reviews...
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

That live version of 'Hang Up your Hang Ups' is great too, thanks dwill123

Here's the second song "Spider" from that album side (same group of musicians):

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:26am
While thinking about  the five, here's a few  that immediately flashup: 
Les Paul/Nat King Coles duo on Blues ex. Jazz At The Philharmonic 1944
Brecker/Pastorius: Dry Cleaner fro Des Moines (Joni Mitchell's Shadows & Light - alas the DVD of this is an arthouse f***-up)
Joe Morello: Castillian Drums:(ex. Dave Brubeck Quartet Carnegie Hall Live) - about the only drum solo I can now listen to and still get pleasure each time) - in fact Blue Rondo Ala Turka from the same set is a favourite (but I want to mix it for a top five)
Holdsworth/Pasqua: Fred (ex. Blues For Tony)  - Fred (aka Kinder) is my favourite Holdsworth, so how can I resist?

But a fifth I have to think about with the following coming to mind:
Shakti live,
Bugge Wesseltoft with John Schofield guesting,
Soft Machine's Third;
MIles Davis off We Want Miles or several others,
Nucleus's Snakehips Dream esp the rhyhm guitar of Chris Spedding (ex. Hemispheres)
................ the list may be huge,

Edited by Dick Heath - 03 Aug 2011 at 7:31am
stuccohomes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuccohomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 6:03pm
This is also subject to change:
1. Directions in Music: Live at Massey Hall - Michael Brecker
2. Twins - Jaco Pastorius
3. Miles in Tokyo - Miles Davis
4. Children of the Night - Hal Galper
5. Smokin at the Half Note - Wes Montgomery
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 6:11pm
What's on "Miles in Tokyo" ?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:17am
Cool, some stuff I've not come across before, very swell indeed Big smile
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:03am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Have you heard the Fillmore East album "It's About That Time", which came out a few years ago? It has similar lineup to the other 2 Fillmore albums, except Wayne Shorter was still in the band. I was familiar with Black Beauty and Fillmore East; and they're good. But there was something about Shorter being there, the performances were absolutely ferocious. I'm 99% sure that It's About That Time is from March 1970, At Fillmore is from April 1970, and Black Beauty is from June 1970
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:53am
Here's part of the 'Red Clay' take that I put in my list - everyone is playing better and soloing better and feeding off each other better than the studio cut. Safe to say I like it!

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 7:21am
This is close to the live version of Take Five that I really like

Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:18pm
lol I thought this was a new thread.

There are so many good live cuts, I can't narrow it down to only 5.

Five Peace Band - "Raju" and "In A Silent Way" are pretty sweet
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 6:46pm
Smile I 're-found' it after realising that I hadn't finished uploading some videos to flesh out my own list

Five Peace Band - cool, will check out those versions for sure

Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

lol I thought this was a new thread.

There are so many good live cuts, I can't narrow it down to only 5

I completely overlooked this topic, too.Embarrassed Probably Mike may enjoy this. This quality is overwhelming while being outdoor live broadcasting.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 12:52am
^ I listened to the studio version of that song yesterday. This version is very good though.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:08am
Yes. I have Illicit, too, but this live version is cool.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:12pm
A very high quality live recording there. Drummer is a machine, huh?
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic