JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stomu Yamash'ta (for Jazz fushion)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stomu Yamash'ta (for Jazz fushion)
    Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:08am

Stomu Yamash'ta, the Japanese percussionist and composer. Famous for the 'Go' project but his other output has some great stuff too.

Apologies if this is lazy of me, but I'm going to try and do a couple more reviews tonight instead of promote him properly now (I have a review of one of his albums up my sleeve actually) but here's a tonne of info here

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2959

But I'll come back and add some youtube links and stuff later on

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 15 Jul 2011 at 11:39am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:16am
No need to promote, besides, we like your reviews.
We discussed Yamashta long ago, his discog does bring a lot of non-jazz records, but he will probably added anyway.
This is one of those additions that may take a while as we go through his discog so be patient.
Once he is added, maybe you can help us genre tag his albums.

Edited by js - 15 Jul 2011 at 10:16am
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:37am
I've got the complete Go sessions, Sea & Sky, and Red Buddah.  The Go LPs were my introduction to Yamashta.  I like the other two in descending order with Go Too being last and Go live being at the top of the list followed closely by the Go studio album.  I don't think you'll find anything in his discog that would disqualify him except perhaps Go Too Tongue.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:44am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

No need to promote, besides, we like your reviews.
We discussed Yamashta long ago, his discog does bring a lot of non-jazz records, but he will probably added anyway.
This is one of those additions that may take a while as we go through his discog so be patient.
Once he is added, maybe you can help us genre tag his albums.

Thanks! Smile  Appreciate you cutting me some slack! I'll keep an eye out then, I think you're right, he's got a range of stuff. And I'd love to help try and to some genre tagging (frustrating as it can be, as genres can be so slippery!)

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've got the complete Go sessions, Sea & Sky, and Red Buddah.  The Go LPs were my introduction to Yamashta.  I like the other two in descending order with Go Too being last and Go live being at the top of the list followed closely by the Go studio album.  I don't think you'll find anything in his discog that would disqualify him except perhaps Go Too Tongue.

I do love the live 'Go' - Di Meola is unleashed on those live versions, huh? I haven't got the 'Red Buddah' but I'm interested. My actual favourite is 'The Man from the East OST' - great fusion of east and west. And the track 'Memories from Hiroshima' is stunning. Heartbreaking but stunning!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:08pm
I think the thing to do for now is just go ahead and add Go and come back to the rest of his discog at a later date. Most of the rest of his discog is not jazz or fusion, ranging from avant-garde concert hall music to new age etc.

Edited by js - 15 Jul 2011 at 3:15pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:18pm
Added - as Stomu Yamash'ta's Go, will be imported soon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic