JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your all time 10 fav jazz Artist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:06am
So, the always tricky top ten..

Hum, without any order

Ornette Coleman
Dizzy Gillespie
Louis Armstrong
Leroy Jenkins 
Stephane Grappelli
Lee Morgan
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
Jon Hendricks
John Coltrane

don't you think it's funny that nobody else talked about louis armstrong? Sometimes i feel that he's kinda forgotten, at least for me i do listen to a lot of different jazz, mostly free, experimental and bebop.. ok, and a lot of swing big bands and manouche mostly, bt every time i listen to pops, i dunno, everything changes, it really makes the difference, the way he plays or sings, the simplicity, the power.. the humor ! What is your opinion about him?

Oh and lately ive been discovering peter evans, in fact more is work with the Mostly Other People Do The Killing and damn, i'm getting really addicted to these guys. Outsie the list, ofcourse there is a bunch of people that i would like to put there, but it's the tricky top thing.. Mingus, Ella, Bernardo Sassetti, or the brazilian Egberto Gismonti (even that you can say that its not really jazz), the third stream Mark Feldman and his wife Sylvie Courvoisier, Stuff Smith (I know i am a violinist, i can't help it, bt he's quite amazing ahah), john carter, terry jenoure (again, jazz... ), zorn, Sarah Vaughan, Cecil Taylor, Serge Gainsbourg. Boris Vian, the duke, i could continue as everybody else, but this is mostly it

[ and edit, i didnt notice that in fact somebody talked about armstrong, bt still my opinion remains, i really feel a lot of times that people dont think of him in the same way that we talk about diz, miles or other giants, maybe it's just me, i hope so ! ]

Edited by dionisio - 16 Aug 2011 at 9:08am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:19am
^ no doubt Louis Armstrong is one of the giants, either he's being taken for granted or people discard him because he's too 'easy' (not enough experimental/AG) for them.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:19am
Excellent, we've been needing more Bop fans around here, as for Satchmo, our own Matt has been going on about his new massive Armstrong CD collection he just picked up. I have a few reviews up for the guy, I actually have a couple of old Armstrong vinyls from the 50s.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:10pm
Off the top of my head

Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock
John Coltrane
Dave Holland
John Scofield
Chick Corea
Pat Metheny
Jaco Pastorius
Thelonious Monk
Charles Mingus
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

^ no doubt Louis Armstrong is one of the giants, either he's being taken for granted or people discard him because he's too 'easy' (not enough experimental/AG) for them.

Satchmo is great. We just don't have a lot of fans of really old jazz, like 20s and 30s jazz.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 3:06am
Originally posted by dionisio dionisio wrote:

don't you think it's funny that nobody else talked about louis armstrong? Sometimes i feel that he's kinda forgotten, at least for me i do listen to a lot of different jazz, mostly free, experimental and bebop.. ok, and a lot of swing big bands and manouche mostly, bt every time i listen to pops, i dunno, everything changes, it really makes the difference, the way he plays or sings, the simplicity, the power.. the humor ! What is your opinion about him?

[ and edit, i didnt notice that in fact somebody talked about armstrong, bt still my opinion remains, i really feel a lot of times that people dont think of him in the same way that we talk about diz, miles or other giants, maybe it's just me, i hope so ! ]
Well I'm glad you went back to see that I had indeed mentionned Satchmo... I was kind of partly raised on his and Ellington's music (much less Ella, though), "fault" of my parentsTongue (hi daddyTongue), but I don't regret it ....  and although I don't EVER feel the urge of ever listening to him again, it doesn't mean that I don't consider him a giant of jazz
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 6:59pm
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charles Mingus
Jackie Mclean
Wayne Shorter
Buddy Rich
Don Ellis
Herbie Hancock
Joe Henderson
Andrew Hill
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:58pm
Man

Joe Pass
Kenny Burrell
Yusef Lateef
Donald Byrd
Herbie Mann
McCoy Tyner
Jack McDuff
Gabor Szabo
Grant Green
Eddie Harris
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:03pm
I love seeing Andrew Hill on your list. What a great, unheralded artist
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:14pm
^ I've only got one of his, an and obvious one - Point of Departure what else do you think should I buy?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 2:34am
^^^

Compulsion!!!!!

with the "!" in the title....
Thumbs UpDefinitely his more "involved" 60's albumThumbs Up

In the 70's, Nefertiti and Divine Revelation have some very interesting moments too, but were uneven
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 5:27am
^ excellent, thanks, Sean - added to my list, looking forward to it!
Reviews...
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:28pm
1. Coltrane
2. Jaco
3. Mingus
4. McCoy Tyner
5. Bill Evans
6. Ahmad Jamal
7. Hiromi
8. Chick Corea
9. Kieth Jarrett
10. Eric Dolphy
You can tell I'm a pianist...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:50am
^ not a Herbie Hancock fan? Or is he 11? Wink
Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

appârently no Bud Powell either

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

appârently no Bud Powell either

or Count Basie.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:06pm
^ considering the other ten people on his list, that would be an odd choice ... or maybe you're spoofing the comment above you, I dunno.

Edited by js - 15 Aug 2012 at 11:31pm
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:22am
6.Arron Goldberg
5.Ornette Coleman
4,Trio M
3.Frank Zappa
2.Dave Brubeck Quartet
1.King Crimson
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:35am
^ go Dave at number 2!

All right, let's see if I can manage a 10 artists only (in no order)

Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock
Bill Evans
Charles Mingus
Don Ellis
Dave Brubeck
Freddie Hubbard
John Coltrane
Peter Knight
Janko Nilovic (sometimes I might swap him for Chick Corea or John McLaughlin)

Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ considering the other ten people on his list, that would be an odd choice ... or maybe you're spoofing the comment above you, I dunno.

The latter Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic