JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 70's Jazz-rock/fusion appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:50pm
Yes. American Garage is a good album. Or, Still Life is also good. I often listen to them.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 9:03pm

Features might be united to some degree as the music character of PMG. Each characteristic and the idea by ECM and Geffen might have joined it, too. PMG in the 80's might often have the element of World Fusion. I think initial PMG also for an experimental element to exist as a subjective opinion. I thought one directionality to have been established when Pat Metheny announced the off-ramp.

Point that Pat Metheny considered band anyway. And, it is convinced that the existence of Lyle Mays is very important for PMG.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 9:07pm
^Yes, American Garage is fantastic up-lifting fusion.

Offramp has grown on me a lot, its dark mood, I now find it another masterful album. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 2:52am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

We should have a thread for 80s fusion, 90s fusion, and 2000s fusion

Honestly, I think I have less 90s fusion than from any other decade

Really not a fan of most 80's fusion.... It had lost all kinds of energy compared to the 70's.... bad synth and shoddy 80's production values are also major setbacks.  It's why I don't really like ECM-type of fusion.... too cool and dead, IMHO.

90's are not much better, but it seems that energy levels were on the rise... and some of those 80's trademarks disappeared

Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Wait, synth guitars are considered boring?

Of couse, synclaviers (I refuse to put a capital s to that crap) are the worst thing that could've happened to jazz guitar.... it took all of the biting edge of guitar sounds and smoothed it out beyond commen sense.

Listen to McL throughout the 80's, he sounds like a weenie version of his former self

Edited by Sean Trane - 14 Jun 2011 at 2:53am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 2:54pm
STRATUS Heart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:13pm
Anybody knows of Second Vision with John Etheridge??
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

We should have a thread for 80s fusion, 90s fusion, and 2000s fusion

Honestly, I think I have less 90s fusion than from any other decade

Really not a fan of most 80's fusion.... It had lost all kinds of energy compared to the 70's.... bad synth and shoddy 80's production values are also major setbacks.  It's why I don't really like ECM-type of fusion.... too cool and dead, IMHO.

90's are not much better, but it seems that energy levels were on the rise... and some of those 80's trademarks disappeared

overall I agree about the 80s, but there was good stuff from that decade. 90's fusion is generally my least preferred, which is why I love 2000s fusion. It's like a fusion of 70s fusion with 2000s rock/metal energy, or maybe infuse more funk and jazz. Either way, I think I like 2000s fusion so much because of the great production values compared to 80s and 90s
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:00pm

Yes. Post Soft Machine collaboration with Ric Sanders, jazz rock  folk made before the violinist headed off to the Fairports - issued on CD by Blueprint.  A reminder that Etheridge has played with a lot of violinists during his career - Darryl Way, Nigel Kennedy,  Stephane Grapelli also immediately come to mind.
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Yes - love this era in any genre! \\John MacLaughlin is unbeatable

Dang ... I could have sworn that Deodato did not do Strauss on that Kubrick film but I have to go check my madness boutique!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Yes. Post Soft Machine collaboration with Ric Sanders, jazz rock  folk made before the violinist headed off to the Fairports - issued on CD by Blueprint.  A reminder that Etheridge has played with a lot of violinists during his career - Darryl Way, Nigel Kennedy,  Stephane Grapelli also immediately come to mind.
hadn't see youranswer, Dick, sorry!!!

I've tried to find this, but apparently it's OOP, rare or scarce or never reissued on CD

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 6:43pm
The question is, which era of 70s fusion is the best? The 1969-1972 era, or the 1973-1976 era? First one was overall more psychedelic inspired, spacey, still very jazzy, raw, and really open; whereas the second brought more funky moods, synthesizers, tighter rhythms, and felt more composed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 2:27am

The question is, which era of 70s fusion is the best? The 1969-1972 era, or the 1973-1976 era? First one was overall more psychedelic inspired, spacey, still very jazzy, raw, and really open; whereas the second brought more funky moods, synthesizers, tighter rhythms, and felt more composed.

I'm really a first wave JR/F fan (preferring Mwandishi to Head Hunters by a million miles >> notwithstanding Davis of courseWink) , but the real break for me came later than these two periods

I really think that the funk became even more evident in JR/F after 76, and notably when Pastorius joined WR (Black Market) >> This is a totally personal view, but the influence that album had on everyone kind of triggered or provoked what I view as JR/F's decline...

Of course before that BM album, we'd seen plenty of jazzers try out their luck solo ventures  in funk-jazz rock or jazz-funk as I like to call it  (thinking of Stanley Clarke, for ex)...

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 11:02am
Jaco changed the entire landscape of jazz-rock/fusion in 1976 (that's kinda why I made the cut-off '76). Just about every fusion bassist to come out after that was inspired by Jaco in some way or another.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 11:42am

Jaco changed the entire landscape of jazz-rock/fusion in 1976 (that's kinda why I made the cut-off '76). Just about every fusion bassist to come out after that was inspired by Jaco in some way or another.

UNFORTUNATELY!!!Unhappy

not a big fan of his over-playing

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 12:39pm

UNFORTUNATELY!!!Unhappy

not a big fan of his over-playing

Maybe for some 80s and 90s fusion albums, but many of the 2000s and 2010s fusion albums I've heard, where the bassist is influenced by Jaco (or Victor Wooten), they're more tasteful, not to mention I feel the genre has improved since around the mid-2000s. I also enjoy Jaco's style, and those influenced by him, anyway.
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:32am
This is certainly my kind of genre - I grew up with it - I lived it during its heyday.  I'm older now, and still, listening to it.  Perhaps I'm a little toned down, more of a Yellowjackets kinda guy.  I write harder though, anyway, fantastic complex genre, and completely love it.

Did any of that make sense?
Find me at:

http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/track/Fantasizer
New CD "Fantasizer!" out now!
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:19am
^ sure did
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:28pm
Aside from certain Zappa albums, 70s jazz-fusion has just not been on lately. Been mostly listening to 90s/2000s/2010s fusion. Maybe I discovered all I want/need from this decade in the fusion world.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:55pm
I was raised on that stuff, don't listen to it much anymore, but still like  a lot of it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 1:01pm
Sure, if it's on I'll enjoy it, and I do throw on the odd album here and there, but lately I haven't been feeling it. I did get Return to Forever's recent album, and while the original songs are from the 70s, the music itself is very much more modern, in fact, it's one of the band's best albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic