Post 1989 Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post 1989 Jazz
    Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

We just need the JMA equivalent of Walter

If I must...

You don't have to. We just have to wait for that person to emerge from the darkness.

Thank god...because 1992 was the best year for jazz ever. Approve
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

If I must...

You don't have to. We just have to wait for that person to emerge from the darkness.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 4:50pm

If I must...
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Nathaniel607 Nathaniel607 wrote:

I wonder if there really is more pre-89 jazz than post? There's certainly more well-known, but pre-89, there was sort of a cap on how much could be released (record labels and all that) but now that doesn't exist.

Besides the fact that there's almost 90 years of recordings as opposed to 23 years, even with a cap on the amount released, you also have to take into consideration, albums that came out after 1989 but recorded before 1989, such as posthumous releases by a deceased artist, or archived live albums that didn't come out until after 1989; that's still pre-'89 jazz, even though it came out later.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 10:45pm
Some really fantastic 21st century jazz: http://soundcloud.com/trio-m/tracks
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:35am
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 3:59am
such a brilliant thread - cant get over it
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathaniel607 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

So, are we talking about quantity vs quality?

Nope.

A lot of jazz was released pre-89 - but it was a popular genre back then! Let's face it, the age of jazz has passed. It's not as popular a genre. And even jazz fans - even modern ones - are usually much more familiar with older stuff. There's no reason that jazz being made today should be worse than pre-89 stuff. So there's probably a lot of amazing unheard-of stuff out there.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:54pm
So, are we talking about quantity vs quality?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathaniel607 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:18pm
I wonder if there really is more pre-89 jazz than post? There's certainly more well-known, but pre-89, there was sort of a cap on how much could be released (record labels and all that) but now that doesn't exist.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Esbjorn Svensson Trio. That is all.

Approve

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 9:29am
Post 89 Jazz thread - we really need Walter digs here - but I have no idea to be honest
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 8:12pm
Esbjorn Svensson Trio. That is all.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 3:07pm
to be honest i wish i knew more post-89 jazz, but i might just be being modest, as there is more pre-89 jazz than there is post-89 jazz.

however what i do know is very good. I think this site (love it, by the way Cool ) explains it best: "jazz has taken on so many genres and influences that creating easily definable genres is becoming increasingly difficult"

since pre-89 jazz has been around so long, well documented, romanticized, and such, it's easier to seek out the best and have a very good collection. It seems to be the other way around for later jazz, not to mention less people (at least in America) listen to jazz than they used to even in the 80s.

i had a thread over at PA about who the big names in jazz were TODAY, and it made me realize there is good stuff going on, even in 2011. it's just that there is less information about the artists and the albums, etc. But it's the music that counts anyway i guess Tongue

...end of first post/rant
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:33pm
Oh no, Can't I escape LOL My opinion is music will be no good after 2089. Being dead for me will be the major issue. Can't hear it.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:50am
Ahem, yes ... testing Ermm

Welcome aboard Ian!    Beer
EntertheLemming View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:27am
Originally posted by EZ Money EZ Money wrote:

moved to 'just for fun'  Ermm

I was just testing the software John Embarrassed

(My 1st PM from an admin on Jazz Music Archives - I can't wait Beer)

Edited by EntertheLemming - 16 Jan 2011 at 10:28am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:26am
moved to 'just for fun'  Ermm
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:15am
I think this thread is kinda dumb (I only come here to share the hate around)

BTW John Zorn instructs me to do the devil's work through his music (but that's so lame, I prefer white noise)

Henry NYC

Edited by EntertheLemming - 16 Jan 2011 at 10:16am
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:13am
You are clearly nothing but a troll impersonating (badly) another troll

Say No to post 1989 talentless 'button pressing' trolls and celebrate the pre 89 masters of withering polemic, innovative slander and bare faced cheek Headbanger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic