Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:03pm
One of the very early ECM 2013 release - Chris Potter label's debut (as collaborator he already played on ECM Dave Holland and Paul Motian albums). It looks during last few years ECM founded new success formula recording new generation of NY advanced jazzers with real peak in 2012. From a bit radical Tim Berne to more accessible Michael Formanek to nu-styled Greg Taborn, all ECM albums received good media and listeners popularity. Chris Potter's label debut is most traditional step of their NY jazz program, but far not too conservative or old-fashioned. Music here is not avant-garde jazz but adventurous post-bop, quite lyrical and very modern sounding. Pianist Greg Taborn is here giving signature keyboards sound of other related ECM NY-jazz series albums. Most accessible from above mentioned works, but far not boring

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:35am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 1:41am
Another significant ECM February's release is new Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko double album. Stanko is well known as one of Europe's leading jazz musician and are ECM one of biggest names. I really like his early albums (pre-ECM and very early ECM releases), later he became  too predictable as for my taste. 

New album opens with relaxed down-tempo melancholic composition and I was afraid if all double album will sound on the same way it would be to difficult to listen it all and avoid to fall asleep. Fortunately there are some up-tempo and even high energy composition there, so generally album's music is well balanced. I believe Stanko contemporary music fans will find a lot of his trademark Slavic soulful melancholy music here, mixed with cool Nordic ECM atmosphere, for me up-tempo freer songs are pleasant surprise though. In all traditionally strong if too predictable album it hardly brings any new Stanko sides but his regular  listeners will enjoy it for sure.

Edited by snobb - 14 Feb 2013 at 1:42am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 2:01pm
Young generation Italian pianist Giovanni Guidi debut on ECM (in trio format). Down tempo dreamy beautiful music, characteristic for ECM South European artists. Acoustic, aerial, not too sweet or melancholic - with clear but warm sound (opposite to ECM Nordic recordings),good chamber listening if you're fan of such genre

Giovanni Guidi Trio | City of Broken Dreams | ECM 2274

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:37am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 2:50pm
^sounds like my kind of music 

Edited by idlero - 24 Mar 2013 at 2:51pm
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:59am
Who said ECM plays too safe? Italian-Swiss trio "Third Reel" debut album - and right on ECM! Reeds-guitar-drums (bassless)trio music reminds Paul Motian and David Torn/Tim Berne's current works, accessible and adventurous at the same time. Guitar's sound gives lot of drive to generally mid-tempo music. Really strong debut!

listen here:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/third-reel--mp3.aspx?id=2827

Edited by snobb - 25 Mar 2013 at 3:00am
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 3:29am
Both those sound great, Slava - I will investigat!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

^sounds like my kind of music 

Guidi played on some last Enrico Rava's albums
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 3:21pm
ECM continue to release compilations series with great Paul Motian six-CD set, with recordings from 1972 to 1984, includes the albums “Conception Vessel”, “Tribute”, “Dance”, “Le Voyage”, “Psalm” and “It Should’ve Happened A Long Time Ago”.

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:38am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 12:32am
Second ECM 2013 compilation presents Charles Lloyd early ECM recordings in a form of 5 CD set. It includes the albums “Fish Out Of Water”, “Notes from Big Sur”, “The Call”, “All My Relations” and “Canto”. All five albums were recorded in Oslo (between 1989 and 1996)

Quartets [5 CD]

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:39am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 7:34am
New American pianist Craig Taborn album will be released just in a few weeks:

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 8:01am
New Keith Jarrett Trio album to be released in May

Keith Jarrett / Gary Peacock / Jack DeJohnette | Somewhere | ECM 2200

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:40am
pinknote View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinknote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 9:45am
Listened some while ago Garbarek's "Afric Pepperbird" and surprised to see that ECM and Garbarek were indeed more adventurous back in the day... on the other hand, I also picked up Stanko's Balladyna seeing that it is considered... Free Jazz. Quite far from it, actually - which I would not mind if the album would have impressed me. Not the case.

Note to self: ought to try more ACT and Tzadik.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by pinknote pinknote wrote:

Listened some while ago Garbarek's "Afric Pepperbird" and surprised to see that ECM and Garbarek were indeed more adventurous back in the day... on the other hand, I also picked up Stanko's Balladyna seeing that it is considered... Free Jazz. Quite far from it, actually - which I would not mind if the album would have impressed me. Not the case.

Note to self: ought to try more ACT and Tzadik.

IMHO ACT is less adventurous then ECM, maybe you should try Clean Feed  
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:15am

Listened some while ago Garbarek's "Afric Pepperbird" and surprised to see that ECM and Garbarek were indeed more adventurous back in the day... on the other hand, I also picked up Stanko's Balladyna seeing that it is considered... Free Jazz. Quite far from it, actually - which I would not mind if the album would have impressed me. Not the case.Note to self: ought to try more ACT and Tzadik.

For more adventurous ECM music search on their very early releases, actually just from very early 70s ("African Pepperbird" is probably the best of them still). Check Paul Motian debut - different but adventurous at its own manner

Surprisingly, last few years' ECM releases (or better to say - some of them) returned their progressivity in part. Check newest Tim Berne, Michael Formanek,etc
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:19am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Listened some while ago Garbarek's "Afric Pepperbird" and surprised to see that ECM and Garbarek were indeed more adventurous back in the day... on the other hand, I also picked up Stanko's Balladyna seeing that it is considered... Free Jazz. Quite far from it, actually - which I would not mind if the album would have impressed me. Not the case.Note to self: ought to try more ACT and Tzadik.

<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">
IMHO ACT is less adventurous then ECM, maybe you should try Clean Feed  

agree very much - ACT is modern mainstream with strong world fusion influence, Clean Feed is probably most adventurous of European labels from last some years. From smaller non-conformists there are Not Two in Poland and NoBusiness in Lithuania.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:30am

Julia Hulsmann 3rd ECM release, more jazzy than the previous two, duemainly  to Tom Arthurs trumpet contribution
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 4:25am
Ketil Bjørnstad is well know to fans of neo-classic chamber jazz and melancholic soundtracks. "La Notte" is great news for them - classic music rooted piano plus lot of Italian movies soundtracks melancholy and sensibility. Still enough tasteful and with touches of adventure - in best ECM tradition.

listen here:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/ketil-bjørnstad--mp3.aspx?id=2964

Edited by snobb - 24 Jun 2013 at 2:42am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:30am
Swiss vocalist and ECM house artist Susanne Abbuehl released her new (already third) album on ECM label. Not a traditional jazz vocalist, her music lays somewhere between Joni Mitchell jazzy albums and early Jeanny Lee duets with Ran Blake dark balladry. Plus European chamber romanticism.

listen here:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/susanne-abbuehl--mp3.aspx?id=3169

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:41am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 7:58am
Best Keith Jarrett band of last three decades - his trio with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette - released live album of standards, recorded in Switzerland in 2009. Quality post-bop album - better than many Jarrett's solo piano or contemporary jazz releases, to be honest it could be recorded three decades ago or yesterday. Jarrett being a highest level pianist is really good manager as well: you can easily find five or ten similar albums in his huge discography, but he knows the real fans will buy this one as well

listen here:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/keith-jarrett--mp3.aspx?id=3170

Edited by snobb - 27 May 2013 at 7:59am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 2:40am
Gary Peacock is stated on this duo album not without reason - quite soft and melancholic, very much in "classic ECM" tradition music is closer to Peacock last decades works than to complex high energy Marilyn Crispell's music. Still some knotty moments are presented here but for more advanced music search for Crispell's solo works

GARY PEACOCK - Azure (with Marilyn Crispell) cover

listen here:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/gary-peacock--mp3.aspx?id=3242

Edited by snobb - 22 Dec 2013 at 6:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic