Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2011 likes and dislikes in jazz music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 4:03am

Thumbs Up
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

yes, sober musicians are much more prolific, since they dont waste time with narcotics

**EDIT** woops, I didn't realize that was part of your sig. I think the colors threw me off
LOLLOLLOL

Sorry about that!!

This said, I don't think that jazzmen have any less problems with drugs than other types of musos. If Coltrane managed to kick it out, Parker & Miles didn't.

s

With jazz, it's a little different. There isn't as much composing as classical, or prog, so it wouldn't take as much time to record an album than say a rock band. MAny jazz albums were recorded in 1 or 2 takes, many times by the entire band(s)
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 5:31pm

yes, sober musicians are much more prolific, since they dont waste time with narcotics

**EDIT** woops, I didn't realize that was part of your sig. I think the colors threw me off
LOLLOLLOL

Sorry about that!!

This said, I don't think that jazzmen have any less problems with drugs than other types of musos. If Coltrane managed to kick it out, Parker & Miles didn't.

s

With jazz, it's a little different. There isn't as much composing as classical, or prog, so it wouldn't take as much time to record an album than say a rock band. MAny jazz albums were recorded in 1 or 2 takes, many times by the entire band(s)
jazz and drugs go hand in hand, blues is born from boose, lots of jazzmen love their uppers, and the other half of jazzmen love their downers. The beats and jazzmen had alot in common, most notibly the fact they wer junkies... most all modern music is rooted to some degree on drugs.
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 5:41pm
This should be a good one.

Quote The record, Bienestan, is a collaboration between Guillermo Klein and pianist Aaron Goldberg, with crack players Miguel Zenón, Chris Cheek, Matt Penman, and Eric Harland filling out the band. Klein composed and/or arranged all the songs on Bienestan and Goldberg takes on the role of featured soloist. "We were conceiving of it almost in a Gil Evans-Miles kind of way," Goldberg writes in the press release announcing the album.

Thumbs Up

That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

jazz and drugs go hand in hand, blues is born from boose, lots of jazzmen love their uppers, and the other half of jazzmen love their downers. The beats and jazzmen had alot in common, most notibly the fact they wer junkies... most all modern music is rooted to some degree on drugs.

I don't know about composition being less in jazz than classical or rock, thoughConfused

In terms of composition, sure classical has an edge when it comes to large symphonic orchestra (although Big Bands..... ), but I'm not sure Schubert's quintet pieces took less composition efforts than say Brubeck's Time Out. They were vastkly different times as well, since recording studios didn't exist too, for classical, which means that they culd take years into finalizing an oeuvre without anyone noticing it (i thionk I'm breaking down wide-open doors, hereEmbarrassedLOL)

As for composing in terms of rock, if you take the prog rock out of that realm, you'll find most compositions quite simple in terms of chord progressions.

-----------------------------

Albums didn't take long to record because jazz musos are great improvisers, unlike classical musicians (they couldn't improvize if their life depended on it), and in most rock circles, the musicianship is much lesser than in jazz. This is also why jazz artistes have such wide discographies as well.... cheap album production and quick recording meant that the labels could pump out sometimes up to four albums a year for an artiste... imagine this for Floyd or Madona...

So jazz albums took only one take or two....fine!!! But there isn't the effect-laden ultra-produced of most of these rock or pop products (beit Yes, Floyd or Michael Jackson and Madona)... and most of these rocker drug addicts, even when straight, couldn't get it right after the 15th take either, because they rarely rehearsed prior to recording sessions...And then you've got some groups that did composing during the studio sessions.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 4:15am

Stylish,pleasant and easy accessible solo piano album 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:46pm
@ Sean Trane - I only mentioned composition in terms of Classical where almost everything is composed, whereas with Jazz, there is a large amount of improvisation involved. I wasn't talking about the level of composition some jazz tunes have (where some rival or even beat Classical)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:53pm

@ Sean Trane - I only mentioned composition in terms of Classical where almost everything is composed, whereas with Jazz, there is a large amount of improvisation involved. I wasn't talking about the level of composition some jazz tunes have (where some rival or even beat Classical)
I'd understood what you said, ,and completely agreed, but there was the drug issue at stake in this conversation, ,that's allWink

but I gather that the newer jazz generatioons are much cleaner in that regard (except for amy House of WhineLOL)

Edited by Sean Trane - 02 Jun 2011 at 2:56pm
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 9:52am

Thumbs Up
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:13am

IMO another average ECM piano trio release, didn't impress me at first hearing , it improved after a few more hearings but doesn't stand out from among other average piano trios releases

Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:37am

UnhappyThumbs Down
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:04am
Recent stuff in my playlist, Ken Vandermark has two new releases, one with Resonance and an OST with Predella Group, both not your usual Vandermark. Jazz that can open your senses, in fact.

Angelica Sanchez's piano solo album (A Little House) puts me off a bit, uneven album with both hollow and interesting compositions. Never made up my mind how I feel about toy piano music, either.

Edited by Ricochet - 01 Jul 2011 at 8:05am

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Recent stuff in my playlist, Ken Vandermark has two new releases, one with Resonance and an OST with Predella Group, both not your usual Vandermark. Jazz that can open your senses, in fact.

Angelica Sanchez's piano solo album (A Little House) puts me off a bit, uneven album with both hollow and interesting compositions. Never made up my mind how I feel about toy piano music, either.

I tried Angelica's album few times but didn't get that music, or better to say - it was interesting at first few minutes, but later I missed interest very soon
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:33am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I tried Angelica's album few times but didn't get that music, or better to say - it was interesting at first few minutes, but later I missed interest very soon

The other way around, second half makes me wonder...

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 2:34am
Interesting new release - combination of American and European avant-garde roots in one duo. Sounds really good but often on the edge of two worlds :

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:55am
Hey Slava, did you hear Chicago Odense Ensemble? I just added them to Post Rock on PA, but their album could also pass as one of the best Nu-Jazz albums of 2011. 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:25am
^ I just listened to it for the first time yesterday. I feel the two main styles are a bit corrupting each other. Cool music, otherwise.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:27am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Hey Slava, did you hear Chicago Odense Ensemble? I just added them to Post Rock on PA, but their album could also pass as one of the best Nu-Jazz albums of 2011. 

No, thanks I'll check themSmile
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:30am

^ I just listened to it for the first time yesterday. I feel the two main styles are a bit corrupting each other. Cool music, otherwise.

Absolutely agree - in some moments it sounds almost annoying, but often - like unusual and attractive combination, a bit of scratching glass LOL
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:34am
Confused now, I was referring to Alex's COE, which you haven't heard yet, as you said above.

It might turn out the same with Shepp/Kuhn, but I have to hear it first. Tongue

Edited by Ricochet - 05 Jul 2011 at 6:34am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic