Poll Question: which of these album is your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [83.33%]
1 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aja vs Silk Degrees
    Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:57am
If two albums can be said to define a genere, these two albums defenitly can, they defie West Coast rock, they defies the sound which Toto should perfectionise with their, Toto and Toto V,  the slick, polished, perfect production and perfect played jazz, sould, and blues filled west coast rock,

to me Aja and Silk Degrees are perfect albums, but which is best

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31L-JvKawIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jckj18nxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:38am
I'll go with "Aja", nice album.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:05pm
I went to Aja, too. By the way, is what Larry Carlton steals introduction of Peg and applied in introduction of Room 335 true? Or is it a rumor?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm
I went of The DAN of course

"Silk Degrees" though is a fantastic album

When it came out everybody had it,  me included. Never got sick of it and it is one of those albums that everybody likes.

Good Poll. Not that easy to choose.
Matt
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 10:38am
i sometimes call it the first Toto album Tongue, half the songs is cowriten by David Paich, and half the badn is Jeff, David and David, (and Steve Porcaro on synth on one song), and live they brought in Lukather, so it was actualy Toto if replace Bobby with Boz  as lead singe, 

Edited by Asmodean - 22 Feb 2012 at 10:39am
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:29pm
I don't think I've heard the Boz in it's entirety but I'm sure I've heard parts.  
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Asmodean Asmodean wrote:

i sometimes call it the first Toto album Tongue, half the songs is cowriten by David Paich, and half the badn is Jeff, David and David, (and Steve Porcaro on synth on one song), and live they brought in Lukather, so it was actualy Toto if replace Bobby with Boz  as lead singe, 
Have you heard "Dig". David Paich is all over that with Boz too. Great album. Will review it this morning. Came out in 2001. Has an appearance by Lukather and Phillinganes. Did not realise how much stuff they have done with Michael Jackson.

Nothing to do with Toto but Danny Kortchmar is with Boz, and David as well. They are the three main suspects on the album

Wondered why I liked that Boz album so much and after a bit of quick research, now I know why.
Matt
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Have you heard "Dig". David Paich is all over that with Boz too. Great album. Will review it this morning. Came out in 2001. Has an appearance by Lukather and Phillinganes. Did not realise how much stuff they have done with Michael Jackson.

Nothing to do with Toto but Danny Kortchmar is with Boz, and David as well. They are the three main suspects on the album

Wondered why I liked that Boz album so much and after a bit of quick research, now I know why.
Human Nature is written by Steve Porcaro and could easly have ended up on a Toto record but the band did not like it so he send a tape to Quincy Jones, with two tracks when those tracks were finnished and left no impression and ten silence, suddenly Quincy and Michall heard the synths of Human Nature and their jaw dropped

"Human Nature" was written and composed by Steve Porcaro of Toto and John Bettis for Michael Jackson's Thriller album. Initially, Porcaro recorded a rough demo of the song on a cassette.[1] Fellow Toto band member David Paich then gave the demo, along with two songs written by Paich, to producer Quincy Jones, hoping they would be included on Thriller.[1] Jones didn't like Paich's songs, but enjoyed the rough demo of "Human Nature" at the end of the cassette.[1] Jones explained, "All of a sudden, at the end, there was all this silence, there was: 'why, why, dah dah da-dum dah dah, why, why'. Just a dummy lyric and a very skeletal thing—I get goosebumps talking about it. I said, 'This is where we wanna go, because it's got such a wonderful flavor'".

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:10pm
It is like the who's who of music the list of who they have all played with.
Saw Lukather did the guitar on "Beat It" as well.

You never heard that much from Quincy after Michael Jackson's death. Everybody else seemed to be having their say though.
I am not an MJ fan but some stuff I don't mind and out of the three big ones it is "Bad" I like the best. "Dirty Diana, The Way You Make Me Feel and Smooth Criminal" are the ones that get a repeat.

The radio played "Thriller" to it's death. I remember, not being that big a fanLOL

The title is the one that grates the most but "Billie Jean", I did like which they seemed to play the least
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:23pm
I do like Aja but SIlk Degrees has something. The RnB aspect? Dunno but I give it the edge
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

the title track on the Toto album Kingdom of Desire is written by Danny Kortchmar as with two other songs on the album
unrelated to the poll but still it is Kortchmar related who is Boz related so its okey i guess

Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:22pm
I like Boz okay but Aja is a masterpiece so this was a no-brainer.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic