0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Davis' Second Great Quintet
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:42pm
From ESP -> Nefertiti what are your favourite pieces - one from each album. Love to hear your thoughts on why

Edit - ran out of Poll Choices, had to squeeze Pinocchio in with Riot

My choices soon, I'm tired now after all that - but I'm pretty sure Footsteps for one, will get on the board from me

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 14 Feb 2012 at 3:07am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:47pm
Tough one! Especially when I haven't heard Miles Smiles nor E.S.P very much.

Hopefully I'll remember to listen to them soon and vote!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:58pm
This vote is surely difficult. However, I voted for "Footprints". Tony Williams plays free rhythm in the beginning of this music, but switches to rhythm of the Latin suddenly. The flow without the sense of incongruity will be splendid. The melody is good, too.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:03pm
I can't remember all these songs, but I know I like "Nefertiti". My favorite song by this group is "Two-Faced" from "Water Babies". It would have fit well on one of the two albums you listed here.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:13pm
^yeah, I bought Nefertiti the other day on CD, and the title track is just fabulous, I love the metaphor its given:

"...Davis had the front and rhthm section reverse their traditional roles. While the horns repeated the theme again and again, pianist Hancock, bassist Carter and dummer Williams, shifted the beat's emphasis, stretched the time, and offered a full dynamic/emotional range. The effect was like a series of time lapse photographs of a particularly beautiful scene, with light and color and shadows subtly, but continually, changing, thus shifting the focus of one's eye-or, in this case, one's ear"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:17pm
^ thanks, I like it even better now, ha.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 12:25am
E.S.P. and Miles Smiles are my 2 favs of these albums (missing 1 and 1/2 albums). I don't really remember most of these songs either, but Nefertiti, E.S.P., and Circle are cool
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 5:21am
E.S.P. - E.S.P.
Miles Smiles - Footprints
Sorcerer - Masqualero
Nefertiti - Riot

Those from me - basically it's all pretty damn good and choosing one from each album was hard. As with Kazu - I think Footprints is amazing for Tony especially, and I think it's ace to hear Hancock's Riot again, similar but more compact. And ESP's title track is just tops, as is the Shorter's Masqualero.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 5:23am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I can't remember all these songs, but I know I like "Nefertiti". My favorite song by this group is "Two-Faced" from "Water Babies". It would have fit well on one of the two albums you listed here.

I still don't have Water Babies - I should push it further up my list of albums to get. Been meaning to for a long time.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:04am
You might have done the favourite album instead of song

I've got only Kilimandjaro and Miles In The Sky, so I can't really answer
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:30am
Miles In The Sky would be #3 for me, after Miles Smiles and E.S.P.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 2:07pm
"Gingerbread Boy" for me from Miles Smiles.

"Nothing Like You" from Sorceror is a strange beast to say the least. Bloody Gil Evans Tongue
Matt
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 4:39pm

The only one I don't have is ESP, but ironically I haven't listened to any of the others!

So I am of no help in the poll. Tongue

Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:07pm
^ If you can, maybe go for Miles Smiles next - it's probably my fav of the three, track for track great stuff
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:57pm
^ and it's the next album chronologically. 
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 1:28am
^ Yes! nothing like chronological listening for context, huh?
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:36am
For a discography like Miles', listening to his albums chronologically works really well, because there is progression and a step in a new direction with almost every album. Especially from '62 onwards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic