JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diz and Miles

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Trumpeter Do You Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [33.33%]
4 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diz and Miles
    Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:49pm
Thought this would be quite the interesting poll. They were both visionaries in their own right. As far as raw, technical prowess goes, Diz is indisputable stronger. Miles, however, was "cool." His laid back playing and impeccable note choice makes him comparable as a musician, I would say. Miles pioneered cool jazz and fusion, Diz pioneered bop and Afro-Cuban jazz.

For myself, my mind could change any second. Dizzy was the quintessential "hot" musician, featuring blazing note runs and bold, bright playing. Miles, by the same token, was the definitive "cool" musician, featuring round, mellow tone and a certain ineffable "hipness." The former makes me think of bustling urban centres, the latter, smoky jazz lounges.

I'm tempted to go with Dizzy, though, because all other things being equal, Miles was a jerk while Diz was by all accounts a stand-up guy LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:23pm
Miles is one of my favorite musicians of all-time, but your question says "trumpeter". When it comes to playing the trumpet there is no comparison, its Diz all the way.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:04pm
Popularity still gathers in "Bird and Diz" in particular in Japan. Good bop album. Because I was ready to vote for Miles anytime, I shelved Miles this time and voted for Diz.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:42am
Dizz is the better trumpetter, but Miles' heritage is sooooo much richer, imho
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 6:19am
My vote went for Miles for the 'cool' feel too
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 6:27am
Chet Baker Cool
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 7:43am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Chet Baker Cool

Harry Beckett  CoolCool
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:52am
Miles for me, though Diz is the more technically gifted player. Miles was an artist first, trumpeter second in my view.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:03pm
I reckon Miles was fab on trumpet with his beautiful low tone. You can hear where Tomaz Stanko and Enrico Rava got their influence from. Dizzy actually told him to keep playing that way. I love Diz but Miles more. Even though they are not my fave albums of his have a listen to "Sketches Of Spain" his playing is superb Thumbs Up
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic