JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Penguin Jazz Guides - different editions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penguin Jazz Guides - different editions
    Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:40am
Forgive my ignorance about this...

Never really paid attention to the Penguin guides (of any kind or genre) before; but...
I was browsing the fffth edition of this jazz guide book at my library system, and I was  little shocked to see that some of the albums reviewed where hardly the essentials, often the minor or even unheard albums... Not saying this is bad, but it seems a little strong to overlook the essentials... OK, I only perused some artistes (notably my fave Collier and Garrick), but this was kind of deceiving...

So my question is.... are the successive editions systematically reviewing new or other albums than the previous editions... meaning that the jazz buff must (should) by every new edition, because it contains entirely new contents??...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:58am
^ that may be, I used to own some Penguin guides but I haven't seen them in a while,  (its easy for books to get lost amongst the other books here), and I don't recall much about the content.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:57pm
I have a few of those guides, I always trusted their reviews more than all music guide, but as you mentioned, they are very incomplete, they mention in the book somewhere, that they don't list CD's that are out of print, "if you can believe that" I always thought that was crazy, at least the last edition of all music from 2002 I think, has almost everything in it, with much improved and more diverse reviews,  You would need every volume of Penguin to have any semblance of completeness. I like thumbing through those books now and then, its funny how the Net has really made those books less important.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:14pm
A buddy of mine loaned me the third edition.... and it's obvious that the writers are really anti JR/F music too.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

A buddy of mine loaned me the third edition.... and it's obvious that the writers are really anti JR/F music too.
  I know, though they do seem to give some respect to Miles and His Electric Music, One thing about Penguin I kind of liked, I thought they did seem to be partial to Avant Garde jazz at least, I feel they understand it at least. I didn't get the last edition, I read a lot of complaints about the the format changing, and it being sort of a best of book, not as in depth as earlier editions. and considering that was a complaint any way for me,  it must really be lacking now.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:39am
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I know, though they do seem to give some respect to Miles and His Electric Music, One thing about Penguin I kind of liked, I thought they did seem to be partial to Avant Garde jazz at least, I feel they understand it at least. I didn't get the last edition, I read a lot of complaints about the the format changing, and it being sort of a best of book, not as in depth as earlier editions. and considering that was a complaint any way for me,  it must really be lacking now.

Well, I only perused the third and fifth edition, about two weeks apart, so I can't judge too hard, but if this fifth is some kind of "best of", then I want no part of it...

I guess, I'll check Ian Carr's books or a Rough guide

Coz my Guiness' guide of Who's Who in Jazz (bought in the 90's) is definitely outdated (that's not a problem) and too incomplete (that's much more an issue)

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 4:45pm
The poor bastards at Penguin trying to keep us "know alls" happy. Impossible, somebody here will always find warts LOL I saw a Bear Family mistake recently. Missed a couple of Frankie Laine's numbers in their "I Believe" set. I don't read the Penguins. Like Sean when I saw it ,did not like it due to missing stuff. Had a brief look at one years ago and so went for the Rough Guide but now that is incomplete for me  but still a pretty good book as most of theirs are. The Reggae one is superb. Steve Barrow was involved. The World Music ( African) one is not bad either Thumbs Up

There is not one good book out there on Afro Cuban, esp sixties and seventies. You would have thought that someone would have done one on Fania and all the subsidary Latin labels that were around then.Unhappy

Edited by Matt - 07 Feb 2012 at 5:00pm
Matt
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

The poor bastards at Penguin trying to keep us "know alls" happy. Impossible, somebody here will always find warts LOL I saw a Bear Family mistake recently. Missed a couple of Frankie Laine's numbers in their "I Believe" set. I don't read the Penguins. Like Sean when I saw it ,did not like it due to missing stuff. Had a brief look at one years ago and so went for the Rough Guide but now that is incomplete for me  but still a pretty good book as most of theirs are. The Reggae one is superb. Steve Barrow was involved. The World Music ( African) one is not bad either Thumbs Up

There is not one good book out there on Afro Cuban, esp sixties and seventies. You would have thought that someone would have done one on Fania and all the subsidary Latin labels that were around then.Unhappy
I remember when I first started researching jazz after discovering it years ago,  those penguin guides were useless to me, because they would leave out mandatory classics because they were out of print, I never understood that philosophy they had.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 2:23pm
Exactly Jason. I have not looked at one in years but they were no good for someone just getting into Jazz which was when I looked at it as well.  Out of Print as we all know is still available, in most cases and do Penguin cover the Jap releases as they come and go all the time and it is Japan that usually re-issue those rare ones. They have some great Art Blakey re-releases I have never seen at the moment. Only $10 but I have enough I keep telling myself.Big smile Temptation Evil Smile but no I keep saying to myself.
Matt
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:21am
I'm the sort of person when browsing the jazz section in bookshops (and i the UK you have to be  lucky to find such sections - so more often the music section), if any book claims to be a "history" I check the index for Allan Holdsworth, Mahavishnu Orchestra (and finally  one to really test such a book ) Soft Machine. The edition of Penguin Guide I purchased some 15 years ago, had two out of three as entries - but found subsequent editions to have John McLaughlin and that's about all, when came to jazz rock fusion entires. Clearly a fat tome can include a large number of artists and their recordings, but is not going to be complete. But it does beg one question, should there be a  guide to essential recordings provided in such guides. However, with music labelled 'jazz' being played and  available  on record in such a broad range of styles, would a 'jazz virgin' exposed to a recommended  and 'essential piece' of free  jazz be turned off for life (e.g. the little I've heard of Cecil Taylor has left me cold)?

One job for retirement, write 100 Essential Jazz Fusion Albums To Hear Before You Go Deaf!
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

I'm the sort of person when browsing the jazz section in bookshops (and i the UK you have to be  lucky to find such sections - so more often the music section), if any book claims to be a "history" I check the index for Allan Holdsworth, Mahavishnu Orchestra (and finally  one to really test such a book ) Soft Machine. The edition of Penguin Guide I purchased some 15 years ago, had two out of three as entries - but found subsequent editions to have John McLaughlin and that's about all, when came to jazz rock fusion entires. Clearly a fat tome can include a large number of artists and their recordings, but is not going to be complete. But it does beg one question, should there be a  guide to essential recordings provided in such guides. However, with music labelled 'jazz' being played and  available  on record in such a broad range of styles, would a 'jazz virgin' exposed to a recommended  and 'essential piece' of free  jazz be turned off for life (e.g. the little I've heard of Cecil Taylor has left me cold)?

One job for retirement, write 100 Essential Jazz Fusion Albums To Hear Before You Go Deaf!

I agree, the purpose of a book is so important. I often ask myself if a book is a 'guide to jazz' in an overview/indepth/rare gems kinda way or something else again, and so on. Keen to see the 100 Essential Pre-Deafness  Jazz Fusion Albums one day!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic