JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lemon-flavored Xylophones and Improv Room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 142>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by The Hepcat The Hepcat wrote:

Speaking of fusion Alex, I used this avy since I like him..but also it may send Colin into rage spirals since he is not real jazz fusion garbage? Wink

meh
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

elevator jazz

As much as I know you know your stuff....I'm not sure how much I want to believe anything you say since you seem quite the jazz elitists purist LOL

I may have been exaggerating just a little bit.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:53pm

Speaking of fusion Alex, I used this avy since I like him..but also it may send Colin into rage spirals since he is not real jazz fusion garbage? Wink

Thank Abraxas! That sounds good I am definitely going to look into his stuff.
And why'd you mention the rock? Is it my avy?

People here are going to think I am one of these fusion heads Colin gripes about LOL I like most jazz. "Normal", fusion, free/avant.

No, I just mentioned the rock thing because Metheny is labeled "fusion", so many people might expect some jazz rock in the likes of Mahavishnu or RtF. 
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:54pm

elevator jazz

As much as I know you know your stuff....I'm not sure how much I want to believe anything you say since you seem quite the jazz elitists purist LOL

I may have been exaggerating just a little bit.

Simply a cliché. Wink

Edited by Abraxas - 21 Apr 2011 at 6:54pm
The Hepcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:55pm
I know Colin, but you cant deny there is truth behind it!

And thanks Pablo, I did see him labeled under "fusion" so you are right I was expecting something like that LOL
My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:00pm

And thanks Pablo, I did see him labeled under "fusion" so you are right I was expecting something like that LOL

Yes, it's also true that most jazz that is calm in nature is labeled "elevator music" by most people, does that mean anything for you?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:53pm
Ironically I just wrote 2 reviews for the Pat Metheny Group for their 2 best albums IMO (The Way Up, and The Road To You), and none of their albums are elevator music (except for We Live Here, which is the album which probably got them that label, and now everyone associates Metheny with the likes of Kenny G or Larry Carlton). They do have another which I find boring, forgot which one (maybe One Quiet Night?), but I think if you like jazz fusion, you will like Pat Metheny Group. The first self titled album is one of the best 70s fusion albums.

As for himself as a solo artist, he is not to be missed, like the Pat Metheny Trio with Dave Holland on bass, or the Parallels Band, with Metheny on guitar, Herbie Hancock on piano, Jack DeJohnette on drums, and Dave Holland on bass. Their Parallels Live album is just some of the best jazz created by humans.

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 8:24pm
I listened to American Garage once, I haven't felt the need to listen again.

Question: what does one add a not-quite-jazz release under?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Depends from which band and style. Generally jazz-related rock,  I think. 

But you should ask an Admin just in case.

American Garage is killer, but I can see why someone can dislike it, it's very up-lifting and rather summer-mood. 'The Epic' is proof of the quality of the musicians, simply epic. Tongue

Something less up-lifting and more night-ish would be Offramp or As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls, just if you're interested.
The Hepcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Yes, it's also true that most jazz that is calm in nature is labeled "elevator music" by most people, does that mean anything for you?

Gah, with time genres and labels increasingly annoy me LOL
My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:22pm

depending on what is has to do with jazz, either jazz related rock or 3rd stream
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:26pm

What release do you have in mind there?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:36pm
The Briancat, is your sig a quote from somewhere?
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

What release do you have in mind there?

Doctor Nerve's The Monkey Farm.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:00pm
Oh yeah, I think we just added Doctor Nerve, and I believe the default tag for them was Jazz Related Rock. I'd go with that.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:02pm
I just checked, they were tagged JR/Rock.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:22pm
Thanks, I've added a few albums under JR/Rock since they are in a similar style but this one was somewhat of a departure from that.  LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:50pm
I see,  If its rock musicians doing AG music that is similar to AG jazz, that goes in Jazz Related Improv (Frith, ROVA, some Zorn etc)

Edited by js - 21 Apr 2011 at 11:51pm
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I see,  If its rock musicians doing AG music that is similar to AG jazz, that goes in Jazz Related Improv (Frith, ROVA, some Zorn etc)

How did I miss that subgenre? Confused It seems to be what I was looking for with this album, but I guess I should read over the list better...

Edited by A Person - 21 Apr 2011 at 11:55pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:01am
Its a big list  Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 142>
  Share Topic