JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:48pm
Elza Soares (still active) reminds me of some great samba singers:

Jamelão (1913-2008).

Agostinho dos Santos (1932-1973).

Noite Ilustrada (1928-2003)

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 10:56am
New female singers are worthy to be heard:

Thalma de Freitas (singing an old samba by Noel Rosa).

Maria Gadu.

Roberta Sá.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:52pm
Brazilian folk with touches of prog-rock - a territory where Alceu Valença was the king, back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Renato Teixeira, presently a great Brazilian folk singer, also mixed his roots with some prog spices back in the 1970s when he started career.

Almir Sater, probably no 1 Brazilian folk singer and composer nowadays.

Edited by Atkingani - 28 Jan 2012 at 5:31am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:23pm
Thank you, Guigo. I felt that the part which Brazilian music introduced folk into was interesting. And I think that folk which Brazilian music interpreted has a very unique part. I think that the video of Almir Sater has traditional folk. I hear folk which other musicians went as the opinion that Guigo said like that.

I feel that a progressive part and psychedelic music slightly spread among the Brazilian music of the 70s. I thought that it was Marcos Valle and Joao Donato to have introduced them as an item of the pops. However, all music seems to be derived from a traditional part. The Brazilian music may perform all by good interpretation in it wonderfully.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 5:49am
^Thanks Kazuhiro-san.

Just for the records, Almir Sater uses modern devices and arrangements to play and sing traditional tunes but the chords he uses are Brazilian folk (or folkloric) all the way. Smile

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 4:21pm
Samba-canção, a kind of mix between samba and bolero (sometimes tango too) is the kingdom where diva Angela Maria rules totally.

Here a song by Ary Barroso, recorded in 1957.

1975... then Angela Maria with 47 yo.

Angela Maria, still active, 84 years old.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 4:50pm
Cauby Peixoto, a great singer and also the classic example of the past when gay artists had to hide their condition.

Cauby's first hit happened in 1956. He was then 25 and made the girls sigh.

1981, things were changing and Cauby was starting to leave the closet.
What a singer!!!

Cauby, 80 yo, a legend!

BTW, Cauby is a stammerer. 

Edited by Atkingani - 29 Jan 2012 at 5:00pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 11:57pm
Thank you, Guigo.Smile Cauby Peixoto seems to be able to sing really various music. I did not know his existence. However, I see it very energetically now. I always feel great things attracting. And I do not feel that Cauby Peixoto is a person of stammering at all. I think that he makes an effort very much and affected various musicians.Smile
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 1:48am
What a song healer Angela is! Heart
--

DamoXt7942

Guilt Is A Great Motivator.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 11:09am
Two weeks for the Carnival and the parade of samba schools. Every year these "schools" (actually they are 'clubs') issue a different song to give life to the chosen theme to be presented while parading and dancing.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 11:39am
Ok, ok, a bit off-topic but this guy is a legend... and well, 100 years and still doing the tap-dance!

Bob Lester (born Edgar de Almeida Lima) is a Brazilian artist that worked in the USA for many years and now he's still active and back to his land!

Here in a show then with 98 years.

Jan 15th, 2012. Ipanema Beach.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:37pm
^ The legend from Ipanema. Cool
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm
Wando (1945-2012) died this week... he started as a romantic samba singer and later dedicated more to the pop-kitsch selling thousands and gathering a legion of fans, mainly among women.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 5:12pm
A pause for the best mix of Brazilian music and rock ever made:

1968 (actually recorded in 1967)

1968 (reissued 1970 and 1999)

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 6:32pm
^ great band.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 7:17pm
It's the Carnival week and here are 3 songs by Chico Buarque talking about the event:

"The night of the masquerades", with Chico himself plus Nara Leão & MPB-4. An old video from Brazilian TV dated 1966.

Another great samba song, aired on a Brazilian TV show, year 1968. Again, MPB-4 make the choir.

1972, the main soundtrack theme from the movie "When Carnival starts".

Edited by Atkingani - 14 Feb 2012 at 10:05pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 7:35pm
Thank you, Guigo. I enjoyed a video.Smile The people who are very important to Brazilian music of the 60s and the 70s can see these musicians. And probably it looks valuable that such a music was televised at the same time.Smile
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:09pm
Pery Ribeiro (1937-2012) died today. A bossa-nova, jazz and pop singer he was the son of diva singer Dalva de Oliveira and musician and composer Herivelto Martins.

The first ever recording of "Garota de Ipanema" (The girl from Ipanema) was made by Pery Ribeiro, in 1962. 
Here it is:

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:35pm
More songs recorded by Pery Ribeiro.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 6:32pm
RIP Pery Ribeiro...

I thought that music to let I matched bossa nova with pop like him well and express it was very good. The melody that it is easy to get close to.

And I knew the melody of "Manha de Carnaval". I like melodies of this music. Probably I thought that this music was related to a movie called Orfeu Negro(Black Orpheus). However, I have not really watched this movie. However, various jazz musicians will play this melody.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 24 Feb 2012 at 6:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
  Share Topic