FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lets Do Lunch (around the world).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:09pm
Unfortunately, in Japan, a lot of products which must use microwaves are sold. It surely spoils a texture. Because a small grill is installed in the kitchen of Japan, I always use it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:00pm
I don't like microwaves, they ruin food texture. I always use a regular oven or small toaster oven, also the burners on the stove top too.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:49pm
I feel the traditional cooking that people of the Southern U.S. make somehow or other so that there is an original method. Including meat and a fish. The dish and the pie using the bean in particular looked good. By an investigation. There is the dish such as Baked beans in Japan, but it has miscellaneous feelings. And I discovered Granola, but Japanese Granola is almost an imitation. Japan does not have a custom to use convection microwave oven very much.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:51am
That looks good. Today's lunch for me will be homemade cole slaw (Chopped cabbage and carrots with dressing, salt, sugar and hot sweet mustard) plus baked beans (white beans cooked with molasses, brown sugar, honey, salt and BBQ sauce). These are sort of traditional dishes in the US south.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm

Japan does not yet come in spring, too. However, I looked for lunch such as the spring food. However, the rice ball is about the same as always.

cod roe is in the rice ball. The seasoning is salt and a red pepper.

The salad using the seasonal food like spring. A bean sprout. A carrot. And tofu is chopped with oil after having fried it. And some field mustard should have a sharp taste.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 27 Feb 2012 at 9:58pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 9:54pm
It is interesting to hear a topic of everybody. I am all interested in me even if it was not the topic of the meal. An area and the topic of the culture are good.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:11am
Yeah, I used to walk everywhere, I miss all that. Living in the south is all about the auto, but at least you know there will be a massive parking lot with plenty of places to park when you reach your destination,  ...boy howdy. Ermm
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:38pm
yeah that's quite a trek from SOMA to the inner Richmond--  I grew up here so the neighborhoods all kinda blend into each other, but that's too far to walk and a long bus ride

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:14am
I barely remember Green Apple, I was usually on the other side of the city, the eastern side, the mission, south of market and Hunters Point Shipyard. Sometimes its hard moving around in that city, you get stuck in certain parts that you already know.
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:05am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Ha, I remember Clement Street, its getting to be a long time ago, but I think there was a used record and CD store there named Flat Plastic Sound. I got to know the owner some, The store closed, I think he only sells on ebay now, ...for shame.
vaguely recall it--  Green Apple, the best and last great bookshop in SF, is at the corner of Clement and 6th.  West two blocks is the market I go to, Mae Wah, another block west is a funky but great old diner called Hamburger Haven, and one more block is a really neat Japanese sci-fi/fantasy/Ultraman/Godzilla/animae shop called Hero's Club I like to visit.

Hey we had five people online a few minutes ago.. things are looking up  LOL

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 3:55am
Ha, I remember Clement Street, its getting to be a long time ago, but I think there was a used record and CD store there named Flat Plastic Sound. I got to know the owner some, The store closed, I think he only sells on ebay now, ...for shame.
Anyway, Re Kazuhiro, I had Japanese lunch today, American style, vegetable sushi with the ginger and wasabi on the side, seaweed salad and some wasabi rice crackers for dessert.
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 3:46am
just made a trip to Clement St. for Chinese supplies--  got two bottles of Xiaoxing rice wine (aged 3 & 5 years), Hoisin, peanut oil, two kinds of pepper sauce, and some nice ground bean paste.   Been using Basmati rice but lately switching back to long grain depending on the source; I like a thin grain that splits slightly when cooked.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:57pm

In Japan, a cold day still continues. Much weather does not happen quite often recently. Probably the lowest temperature will be 42.8F.

I needed warm soup as lunch, but came to feel tired. Therefore, today's lunch is really brief.

Salmon Roe is in the rice ball. The seasoning is soy sauce.

The shrimp is almost buried under mayonnaise. Few leeks. The image is hard to distinguish it.

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:46am
Finally I've had a piece of mozzarella pizza (with a glass of Chilean red wine) last night ... so very nice taste & flavour.

Beer
--

DamoXt7942

Guilt Is A Great Motivator.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:15pm
There are a lot of shops of the pizza which performs mainly delivery in Japan. The kind is abundant, but a normal price is approximately 25 dollars and 30 dollars. It is slightly expensive for at least common people. Therefore, the Japanese often buys a frozen pizza, but the taste is totally bad. And a pizza stone became the topic before in Japan to make the frozen pizza better. The quality of a frozen pizza was said to improve when I used this, but I have not yet tried this.

JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:52pm
 ^^ that's a beauty, we have a new Chicago-style place near us and they also make a great thin crust (nothing as good as that picture though)--  I admit to also liking the doughy sourdough crusts here in Cali, not authentic but damn good.   Anyone like cornmeal crust?  It's good but so friggin dense I can barely finish two slices in a sitting .. hhrmph

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm
^ Yeah!

The margherita pizzas in Italy put such shame in my local area - a bit like John's problem - no-one around here can approach wonderful pizza.

You know it's a good sauce too, when a pizza with only about 3 ingredients is so damn good.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:35pm
Simple Margherita Pizza is the best for me ... fantastic mozzarella and fresh tomato sauce with basil leaves topping.

Wow ... amazing. Beer
--

DamoXt7942

Guilt Is A Great Motivator.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:23am
I love really good pizza, unfortunately, people in the southern US don't know what it is. Its very hard to find good pizza around here.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:38am
^ I'd better try upload again when my internet stops being silly.

It was most wonderful indeed, I am hungry just thinking about it!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic