FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Head to Head - Bobby Hutcherson - Bouquet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head to Head - Bobby Hutcherson - Bouquet
    Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 7:29am
Awesome, thanks for these - going to work through them over the weekend, much appreciated Big smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 4:25am

Frøy Aagre-Cycle of Silence

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 6:03pm
I think that probably "Crystal Silence" of Chick Corea becomes the good example, but think that mule Marcin Wasilewski Trio has a good atmosphere other than it.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 9:14am
also:
Mike Nock - Ondas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2zSqp0ihc

John Taylor - Rosslyn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJXN1jZHTW0

Andy Sheppard - Movements In Colour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJN0i-yTlaU

Mathias Eick - The Door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lam8Gon2kc8&feature=related

Alboran Trio - Meltemi (ACT, not ECM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsvcdTaRow&feature=related

Tord Gustavsen you might try his latest release -The Well

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 7:57am
Few first who comes in mind - ECM with "warmer sound" :

Stefano Battaglia (has two-three ECM albums from 00')

German-based multinational Tingvall Trio (their albums are released not on ECM, but mostly recorded at the same ECM  studio in Udine,Italy and have similar sound):

From Nordic artists Ketil Bjornstad has warmer sound:

Or Tord Gustavsen:

On more adventurous end I can recommend Finnish pianist/harpist Iro Haarla - she doesn't afraid to have free solos on her music Wink :

Switzerland has own stream of similar music - based around Nik Bartsch and Co (their music,even released on ECM, often contains nu jazz elements):

Edited by snobb - 21 Feb 2012 at 8:30am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 5:49am
Hi ho everyone - any specific ECM albums? Trying to cut down a long, long list that I've come across.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:09am
Excellent, thanks everyone. This'll be a good excuse to dip into the ECM roster, which I've not got much of at all. Any thoughts on who? Slava, from the last few decades?

Thanks, Pablo - I will check out Azimuth too, it's the vocals were a pleasant surprise. And another great suggestion, darkprince - added to my list of Bobby Hutcherson albums to collect
Reviews...
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 11:07pm

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 11:55am
Yep, ECM stuff for sure.
Not exactly similar, but reminds me of this:

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:20am
Agree with John, it quite similar to what ECM produces (especially during last 2-3 decades). Especially their recordings from Udine studio (in Italy). German and even more Oslo recordings usually are a bit more aerial and cooler comparing with this quite warm sound. Still big part of ECM (at least - bigger names) are more jazzy (improvs -based). Lot of modern contemporary jazz Nordic piano players sound similar as well - plus some German/Swiss artists, not only ECM-based
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:52am
It's pretty and almost ambient, you might want to check out some ECM music, some of that is similar.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:12am
Interested to hear your thoughts on a piece that you feel is a good match-up for 'Bouquet' by Bobby Hutcherson.

Just got 'Happenings' and I'm loving it and 'Bouquet' gave me the idea for this topic. So what do you think, which piece (by any jazz artist) matches up to 'Bouquet' with its rather striking directness

Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic