JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Were Your First Few Jazz Albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:43am
Welcome or Reserpine...

You guys are kind of lucky... I always wished I could work in a music outlet... but to be honest, thinking about it, most of my buddies that did so, were sooooooo tired of music when they got home (since they spent many hours per day in it) that they rarely played music there

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:52am
^ Luckily for me I didn't have that problem the whole time - our store played Top 40 only and often if was only house/club or techno (the pop stuff anyway) and the only time I could play what I wanted was before we opened and when we closed, so I still had some headspace for music when I got home.  Other times I just had a headache.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:26am
I'm pretty sure that my first jazz or fusion album was "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report.  I had some bass instructional books, and of course Jaco's name appeared in a great deal of them.  My curiosity to hear a bass player I had never heard before allowed me to get my feet wet in the jazz waters.  I think I was around 18 or 19, and I asked for it as a Christmas gift.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:17pm
My very first one was Corea's "The Mad Hatter" (when still in school years) and I wasn't impressed at all

Some years later I got his "Return To Forever" a fell in love with it

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:29pm
My first personal jazz purchase was Giant Steps.

However, I had been listening to a lot of jazz and fusion prior to that, probably the jazz albums that made me want to listen to more of the genre were: Kind of Blue, My Favorite Things, Empyrean Isles and A Love Supreme.

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Christ...I have no idea. Haha. I'm assuming it was something in the fusion field being I only started to get into jazz proper recently. Maybe Brand X's Moroccan Roll? I've also had some The Industrial Jazz Group stuff for what seems like quite a long time, so maybe their City Of Angels.

For jazz proper...idk...hmm...seriously I have no idea. Maybe Bitches Brew (yes yes...technicall jazz-rock but lord knows I can't tell Wink) But I'm drawing serious blanks here.

Having rethought this with the bumping of this thread...I'm going to say either Brubeck's Time Out or whatever my first Sun Ra purchase was. (Which I think was either Atlantis or Cosmic Tones....)

Edited by Cannonball With Hat - 17 Jan 2012 at 8:50pm
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 8:54pm
^ Time Out is a great place to have started too
Reviews...
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 10:45pm
I Started with kind of blue, I had that for a few years, then I pretty sure it was Porgy and Bess from Miles, but I hate to give to much credit to Ken Burns, But when that Documentary came out, as incomplete as it was, it really does a fine job explaining the history up to 1960, the music really came alive for me, I went and bought that 5 CD companion Box set, and it all really started there, I pretty much bought 200 CD's based on a lot of what was in that set.  I still think it's a great starter set. though it almost completely ignores Jazz Rock and Free Jazz, as did the documentary, but I was exposed to Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor through it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 11:38pm
^ Yea, I watched the Ken Burns Jazz documentary since it's on Netflix, and up until 1967 or 1968, it goes over all the major artists, bands, genres, and eras pretty well. After 1967, the documentary takes a huge dip in quality, as if the makers could care less about jazz after 1967; except for talking about Winton Marsalis, who they seemed to adore. They only "mentioned" jazz-fusion because they were continuing the Miles Davis discussion, and briefly mention that there are new, young artists today.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:52am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ Yea, I watched the Ken Burns Jazz documentary since it's on Netflix, and up until 1967 or 1968, it goes over all the major artists, bands, genres, and eras pretty well. After 1967, the documentary takes a huge dip in quality, as if the makers could care less about jazz after 1967; except for talking about Winton Marsalis, who they seemed to adore. They only "mentioned" jazz-fusion because they were continuing the Miles Davis discussion, and briefly mention that there are new, young artists today.
looking back at Ken Burns Jazz now, I recently re watched it, I had not in at least 7 or 8 years, knowing what I know now, reading dozens of books, and watching countless documentaries, it really is grossly incomplete, artists like Buddy Rich and Woody Herman are hardly ever mentioned, plus its obvious to Burns and Marsalis, Jazz Rock is not jazz at all, if they would have added 2 more episodes, focusing on avant garde jazz and jazz rock, with out any bias of course, I think it could have been a masterpiece, but it really is a good introduction to the music, you just have to explore the music yourself, which is part of the fun of it any way.
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 11:35pm
McCoy Tyner Expansions
Joe Pass Live at Yoshi's Vol II
Yusef Lateef Live at Pep's
Coltrane live at Birdland
Atlantic Jazz Masters, Vol II
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

looking back at Ken Burns Jazz now, I recently re watched it, I had not in at least 7 or 8 years, knowing what I know now, reading dozens of books, and watching countless documentaries, it really is grossly incomplete, artists like Buddy Rich and Woody Herman are hardly ever mentioned, plus its obvious to Burns and Marsalis, Jazz Rock is not jazz at all, if they would have added 2 more episodes, focusing on avant garde jazz and jazz rock, with out any bias of course, I think it could have been a masterpiece, but it really is a good introduction to the music, you just have to explore the music yourself, which is part of the fun of it any way.

That's the problem with that documentary, and others too, is the bias. You can't have that when documenting a musical genre, especially one as vast as Jazz. The idea of Ken Burns Jazz is a great one, but if you're going to do one episode on the last 40 years of jazz, where the other 12-13 episodes focused on one period of time, like say 10 years, then you're greatly dismissing a lot of music, and possibly keeping newbies to jazz from checking out the genre, because what they might take away from the documentary is that Jazz is "archived" music, "institutional" music, or just plain "old" music, with nothing new going on, so why delve into it, besides a few classics?

You have to cover everything, even including the kitchen "smooth jazz" sink, too.

Edited by darkshade - 27 May 2012 at 12:39pm
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:38pm
I think my first record ever was MJQ's Blues on Bach, I must've been about ten

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 6:23pm
I am still slowly making my way into jazz.

First jazz album: Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet
After that: Playlist: the Very Best of Dave Brubeck
Waka/Jawaka - Frank Zappa

Jazz albums on my wishlist: Free Jazz - Ornette Coleman
Worlds - Aaron Goldberg
The Guest House - Trio M
Footloose! - Paul Bley

Mike Telesmanick Trio - Illumination

Edited by smartpatrol - 30 May 2012 at 6:31pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 8:05pm
^ You're off to a good start from what I can tell.

Also, Diet Pepsi is better than Diet Coke (not that I prefer either when I want soda), yet regular Coke is better than regular Pepsi...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:00pm
^ I agree, absolutely
Reviews...
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 2:15am
Time Out is a great start.

Knowing what you like, you need to check out some Mingus and Sun Ra
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:56pm
My first album was Kind of Blue, because I had been told it was "the" jazz album to buy. The first jazz album I bought and really liked was Giant Steps.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 2:32am
Originally posted by HURBRET HURBRET wrote:

My first album was Kind of Blue, because I had been told it was "the" jazz album to buy. The first jazz album I bought and really liked was Giant Steps.

Apparently you liked KoB enough to keep venturing into jazzWink

If I can suggest that you try (unless you've done so a long time ago) Trane's following album on the Atlantic label called Olé Coltrane... It's a whole new world that opened up with that album.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Apparently you liked KoB enough to keep venturing into jazzWink

I did like KoB, Giant Steps, though, blew me away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic