YES — Yesterdays (review)

YES — Yesterdays album cover Boxset / Compilation · 1974 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
Prog Zone
Review - #11 (Yes - Yesterdays)

Yes' first compilation, Yesterdays, was released on February of 1975 on Atlantic Records. It consists of material previously recorded from the band's first two studio albums, Yes (1969) and Time and a Word (1970). In addition, it contains a B-side single called Dear Father originally released in 1970 during the Time and a Word album. Also, it consists of the full version cover of America by Simon & Garfunkel originally from the 1972 compilation/sampler album The New Age of Atlantic. America has become a somewhat classic song by the band. Furthermore, due to this being a compilation album, many of the songs have varying band members present.

The album primarily contains the band's "older" tracks, released while the band was still developing their sound. However, the songs on this album were chosen perfectly. If I had to make a list of the greatest songs found on both Yes (1969) and Time and a Word (1970) these are the songs I would have chosen. If this album only consisted of these songs, I would say it is a "Good, but non-essential" album. However, with the addition of America, I believe it makes the album an "Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection". America is just as interesting as any other song the band released at the time, making it a real gem by the band that has gone unknown for most listeners/fans. Not to mention, making it the best cover song the band ever released.

The combination of great song choices from the band's early period, to the addition of Simon & Garfunkel's America, I believe any fan of Yes or progressive rock in general will find enjoyment in this album. Of course, if you own all three albums mentioned above plus the single of "Dear Father", you will not need this album. However, most collectors like myself do not. Thus, I would highly recommend this album, especially if you haven't discovered Yes's early discography yet.

- π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷π˜ͺ𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘒𝘴 𝘰𝘳π˜ͺ𝘨π˜ͺ𝘯𝘒𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳π˜ͺ𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 π˜—π˜³π˜°π˜¨ 𝘈𝘳𝘀𝘩π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2537080)

Concert In Iwaki Avant-Garde Jazz