BEN GOLDBERG — The Door, the Hat, the Chair, the Fact (review)

BEN GOLDBERG — The Door, the Hat, the Chair, the Fact album cover Album · 2006 · Avant-Garde Jazz Buy this album from MMA partners
snobb
Clarinetist Ben Goldberg recorded his "The Door the Hat the Chair the Fact" just a few days after his teacher Steve Lacy passed away, and this release is his tribute. Only one composition is Lacy's though, others are mostly Goldberg's originals.

For this recording Ben formed new original quintet - former Huey Lewis and the News saxophonist Rob Sudduth,drummer Ches Smith (Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant) and bassist Devin Hoff (Nels Cline Singers) all came from alternative/avant-rock scene, Tin Hat's violinist Karla Kilhstadt played in that band together with Goldberg.

As a result, album's sound is really fresh and interesting: Goldberg adds strong chamber music (not only jazz,but classic and minimalist) flavor in sound, based on hard bop and swing, two other soloists (Sudduth and Kilhstadt) play mostly free form jazz improvs and at the same time rhythm section builds atmospheric,but heavy and deep vibes. Add strong avant-jazz of late 60s innovative atmosphere and soulful Goldberg melodies, and you can imagine what this album is about: modern avant-jazz,rooted in pre-post bop era,fresh,original,quite accessible and energetic. Rare music nowadays - catch this album, you will believe that avant-jazz golden age isn't just a history!

Disconnections World Fusion
FINAL STEP
Solo 7"s Vol​.​1 World Fusion
YAZZ AHMED
Listen Live at Sweet Basils Hard Bop
Focus Trio : Well Travelled Fusion
Pockets, Melodies and Sockets Jazz Related Electronica/Hip-Hop
MARC CARY

Joe Armon-Jones - Pray (Official Audio)
JOE ARMON-JONES