YES — Looking Around / Everydays (review)

YES — Looking Around / Everydays album cover Single · 1969 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
2.5/5 ·
Prog Zone
Review - #17 (Yes - Looking Around / Everydays)

Released in 1969, this was one of the first singles the band ever released! It contains both the songs Looking Around which appears on their debut album and Everydays which would eventually be put on the bands second album. The first track, Looking Around, remains to be one of Squire's favorite tracks on the album. It was written by both bassist Chris Squire and vocalist Jon Anderson. It is an up-beat pop song with some wonderful Hammond organ work from Tony Kaye. Interestingly, when it came to recording it, the band had some difficulties with its pitching as they were unsure on what key the song was even in. The variant found here seems to be somewhat shorter than the album version which makes me question the reasoning of obtaining this single if you are just going to have a lesser quality version of what is already on the album. However, despite it being a far call from the music the band would eventually create in a few years, it is an enjoyable song nonetheless. The next song is quite interesting, it is a cover from Stephen Stills that would eventually appear on the bands next album, Time and a Word. However, this version is stripped down to its roots by removing the orchestra that would eventually be incorporated in its full album release the following year. If you are someone who is not a fan of the bands use of the orchestra on their second album, this is perfect for you! In addition, the song's structure still remains almost identical on both versions. Overall, I still tend to prefer the version found on Time and a Word. This single is truly meant for fans/collectors who are interested in hearing a new version of Everydays while also including Looking Around which is a lovely early Yes track that I continue to come back to. The songs here are solid but I still wouldn't consider them essential by any means.

- π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷π˜ͺ𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘒𝘴 𝘰𝘳π˜ͺ𝘨π˜ͺ𝘯𝘒𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳π˜ͺ𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 π˜—π˜³π˜°π˜¨ 𝘈𝘳𝘀𝘩π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2537967)

From The Ground Birds Are Born Jazz Related Improv/Composition

THE COOKERS
Prophecy Extended
DAVID GARFIELD
Nostalgia
TRICOTISM (CRAIG MILVERTON/ SANDY SUCHODOLSKI/ NIGEL PRICE)