YES — And You And I / Roundabout (review)

YES — And You And I / Roundabout album cover Single · 1974 · Jazz Related Rock Buy this album from MMA partners
4.5/5 ·
Prog Zone
Review - #20 (Yes - And You And I)

What an incredible combination of songs released on a single! Strangely enough, this single was released in 1974 a few years after both of these songs were already put on their retrospective albums. It contains both And You And I which was on the album Close to the Edge, and Roundabout which was on the album Fragile. And You And I is a truly incredible track that remains to be one of the best songs throughout their entire career. It truly demonstrates Jon Anderson's incredible vocals in addition to showing his ability to perform in different styles and ranges. The song starts with a beautiful guitar section which continues to build into a majestic keyboard section found halfway through the song. The guitar from the beginning of the song has a reprise after this but played with a bit more urgency. After a couple more minutes of breathtaking music, the song transfers to a retrospective guitar and vocal duet which ends the song very nicely. Fantastic song! When flipping the single, the listener is introduced to the Yes classic, Roundabout. What can I say about this song that hasn't been said already? Even though the amount of play this song receives in comparison to the bands entire discography can sometimes be irritating, I believe this song is truly fantastic despite it's enormous popularity. If anything, it's popularity somewhat supports the song's strength. Not to mention, the first minute of the song played on acoustic guitar is one of the most iconic openings within all of music. The rest of the song is also great, containing extraordinary instrumentation from the entire band, especially Chris Squire. Interestingly enough, Steve Howe once recalled the track was originally "a guitar instrumental suite" that he wrote. These two tracks are absolutely classics and would constitute an excellent addition to any prog collection, especially if you don't already own the two studio albums these tracks are found on.

- π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷π˜ͺ𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘒𝘴 𝘰𝘳π˜ͺ𝘨π˜ͺ𝘯𝘒𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳π˜ͺ𝘡𝘡𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 π˜—π˜³π˜°π˜¨ 𝘈𝘳𝘀𝘩π˜ͺ𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2538055)

Kimbrough 21st Century Modern