Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=727
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your parent's musical preferrences
Posted By: Sean Trane
Subject: Your parent's musical preferrences
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:05am
One of the deciding factors in one's  music tastes (IMHO), whether it will be positively or negatively influence you in your musical endeavours....

I know only one choice might be a bit too few, but choose the main one

if you think i should open up the poll to multiple choice, I can always correct it Wink

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Replies:
Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:41am
Dad was the inspirer, with his cassettes of prog, classic rock, jazz & fusion or his classic vinyls. Mom is interested enough to come to concerts of mine or which sound most interesting, plus to catch some on TV. Neither listen to music on a daily basis, not even recreationally.

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:02am
Finnish schlagers.

-------------
http://nervoushorse.com/" rel="nofollow - Aria ariari isa, vena amiria asaria.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Finnish schlagers.

Examples.

-------------

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 7:31am
Exclusively classical. I would have put traditional folk in the poll, too. 

Posted By: Jazz Pianist
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 10:09am
Unfortunately Radio

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 10:30am
I voted whatever was on the radio. My parents had their favorite songs but were not that serious about it. My dad did enjoy the oldies stations that used to be around here, so he put that on a lot.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:36pm
Beatles.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Freddie Freeloader
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:58pm
voted for jazz but it was usually more like Jazz related Ray Charles, Nat King Cole being their favorites, also some more bluesy stuff like BB King, Muddy Waters, Bonnie Riatt. Also crooners like Sinatra, Bing Crosbey or any rat pack stuff as well as Harry Conick Jr. My dad always liked the lighter side of 70s fusion as well as he had a love for jazz trumpet players from every era but my mom never let him play it with her around. Also The Beatles.

Posted By: Cannonball With Hat
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:53pm
My dad listens to rock music, mostly classic rock (the who, the stones, etc) while my mom doesn't seem to have strong musical preferrences, usually only listening to the radio (which happens to be the classic rock station being thats the one my dad likes). Though she does like the old country and western stuff that my grandpa used to listen to when she was a kid.

So, I'll vote for rock.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Exclusively classical. I would have put traditional folk in the poll, too

Third optionWink

My mother was into music hall (Chevalier, Piaf and Brel) and classical, athough she listened to the pop stations

My father was heavily into jazz (my choice on this poll) until I'd say 1969, and thec arrioval of Bitches Brew... I think that fiinished to demoralize him and he definitely turned to classical

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:18pm
Easy listening but Jazz and Country were also on the agenda.......Dean Martin. Frank Sinatra,Ray Charles, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Jerry Vale, oooooohhhhhhh yeah Mario Lanza Wink LOL and so on. My mum was the one, she used to pinch my Country albums, found two records of mine after she died, LOL 

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:47pm
Since my folks were pre-baby boomers their tastes were rather basic.  Mom wasn't a fan of much music at all unless it was sung in church but my dad loved cowboy music.  Not C&W so much because they sang about honky tonks, drinking and cheating, etc.  Cowboy music was Roy Rogers and Gene Autry kind of stuff about being out on the open range with your horse under the stars so that's what he tuned in when it was just me and him in the truck or car back in the 50s.

-------------
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:09pm
These days, my dad listens mainly to bluesy rock artists and bluegrass bands.  He listened to a bigger variety of rock music and jazz fusion when he was younger (teens through his 30s).  My mom rarely listens to music, but she often sings pop and Motown tunes around the house.

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Easy listening but Jazz and Country were also on the agenda.......Dean Martin. Frank Sinatra,Ray Charles, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Jerry Vale, oooooohhhhhhh yeah Mario Lanza Wink LOL and so on. My mum was the one, she used to pinch my Country albums, found two records of mine after she died, LOL 
You know who I forgot to mention Shocked Roy Orbison and Gene Pitney

-------------
Matt

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:16pm
Thinking the poll question over, when I was younger I'd listen to children's music, then radio/rock music.  I can remember my dad always listening to records on his headphones when I was playing with my siblings in the basement.  Occasionally, he'd put the headphones on our ears.  He'd often listen to ELO, Herbie Hancock, and a wide range of 70s rock artists.

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:52am
Nothing absolutely nothing. I donīt recall listening to music with my parents ever. The radio was on sometimes but we never talked about the music. I later discovered my parentīs album and single collections and found out that my mum loved Hermit Hermits and my dad loved The Kinks, but again they never really listened to the music with me. Jazz was a complete no no in my house. My parents canīt stand the sound of jazz unless itīs of the most watered down model. The rest sounds like pling plond to their ears. They are certainly not responsible for me being interesting in experimental/ progressive/ adventurous music (among other things) thatīs for sure.

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 5:04am
My Grandma had serious vinyl collection (still 78 RPM vinyl) from 60-70s, but all - easy listening,a bit of folk and Gypsy romances. Being a child, I liked to listen them all few times per year,usually during New Year day and some other eves.

Parents never were too  much interested in music but sometimes went to see some popular concerts . Watching concerts on TV during eves was strong tradition though. In fact all the music I heard till my teens was mostly easy-listening.

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:04am
99% classical

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Third optionWink

If it said only "Folk", I would have asked what kind of folk do you have in mind, but having it as "Folk / Country", it really looks like it's referring to the modern genres.

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:26pm

I had some experiences as an entrance where it knew music. When I was a grade-schooler, I almost did it.

Japan's animation is very active. I was personally collecting those theme songs. However, my parents taught me another genre.

My mother liked film music. Or, Adamo and The Lettermen were taught me. My father taught me Perez Prado. Because I was a grade-schooler, all music was not able to be understood.

However, I willingly listened to the radio. Or, there was always BGM if shopping at the department store.

The interest in music was formed to me by these experiences.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:06am

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Third optionWink

If it said only "Folk", I would have asked what kind of folk do you have in mind, but having it as "Folk / Country", it really looks like it's referring to the modern genres.

Yeah, that trad folk thought hit my mind as well at the time of making the poll, but then I would've had to separate it from 60's  folk(-rock) and the country & C-W domain as well ... I wanted to keep it simple (>> not sure I manged from your reaction, thoughTongue)

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Finnish schlagers.

Examples.

k

-------------
http://nervoushorse.com/" rel="nofollow - Aria ariari isa, vena amiria asaria.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:00pm
Here's some cassette tapes I can remember being played on family road trips:
Genesis - We Can't Dance
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell II
Forrest Gump - The Original Soundtrack
Van Morrison - Greatest Hits
Sting - Nothing Like The Sun
UB40 - Promises and Lies
Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge
and some album from The Nylons

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:39pm
My Mom was a professional opera singer but had to quit when she started having kids. When they were young, her and Dad enjoyed modern (for their time) Russian composers like Shostakovitch and Prokofiev.
When the kids came along they didn't have much time for music anymore. 
They preferred that us kids didn't play rock or soul music out loud (headphones only), so I would play their scratchy old classical albums sometimes.

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 8:27pm
My dad has always been "my musical pillar" where I founded my musical taste. When I was younger he played much more "rock" than now, say Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell, ZAPPA, those were some of his favorites, and still are when it comes to rock. 
But besides that, he played classical/opera and jazz, so yeah, I had most genres covered up, although not in the wideness that I would later discover on my own and with my older bro. Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Metheny and Weather Report being played by him mainly from jazz, plus some lighter stuff as well as a bit of bossa nova. 

From my mom, I got to know the poppier stuff, but she also enjoys classical and jazz, whenever there's nothing "noisy" hehe.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 9:23pm
Jazz daily; John Lewis, Bill Evans, Art Tatum, and often vocalists too.. my Mom never 'made' me listen to anything, it was just there to be taken in.  She also appreciated everyone from Stevie Wonder to Philip Glass.

You rock Mom !   BeerHeart

Posted By: andyman1125
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:48pm
Jazz actually. That's how I got into it LOL

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 9:31am
My dad sometimes listens to the oldies station and my mom country, but they aren't really into music.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/I_am_A_Person" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:45am
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

My dad sometimes listens to the oldies station and my mom country, but they aren't really into music.

That must be rather tough, because I believe parents into music is giving their kids a cultural edge

On the other hand, having parents that are not into it won't try to influence you in the way they please....

For ex: my parents (like many bourgeois or middle class parents in Belgium) kind of hid away the rock and rock'n roll from us, for plenty of conservative reasons (despite my parents not being conservatives back then).... It's when I went over to Canada at the age 10 that rock hit me flat-faced... I dived into it head first and sort of drop whatever else what my parents were trying to induce into my brains.... and that fueled many dispute and even provoked major arguments.... things went relatively smoother with my younger brothers, but because my experiebnce paved the way for them and had broken my parents into being more tolerant.

-------------

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 6:27pm
My Dad is a huge rock fan, predominantly prog rock and art rock. And has actually gotten into many modern art rock and prog bands I listen to. Although he does not really get classical, and does not get jazz at all. He does have a few fusion records that lean more towards rock and blues though. 

My mom does not really listen to anything in particular, but rather is okay with anything as long as isn't extreme metal or avante-garde music of some form. 

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 7:23pm
My parents listened mainly to traditional samba meaning that later they started listening to bossa nova too. Also they had a reasonable collection of romantic, jazz-inspirated songs/albums (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughan, etc). 

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

My parents listened mainly to traditional samba meaning that later they started listening to bossa nova too. Also they had a reasonable collection of romantic, jazz-inspirated songs/albums (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughan, etc). 
Did your parents like the new Bossa sound, or did they see it as a watered down commercial sell-out?

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Did your parents like the new Bossa sound, or did they see it as a watered down commercial sell-out?
I suppose that you mean by the "new" bossa, once outsiders (like Stan Getz and others) got into the groove???

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 3:13am
Even before the outsiders became involved, Bossa was a simplification of Samba. I was just curious if his parents were not fond of all that at first.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:55am
To Sean & js: I meant the original bossa nova, from late 50s and early 60s. Anyway, I think they liked Stan Getz, Sergio Mendes, Eumir Deodato and many artists that came after the first wave. Smile

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 9:55am
What I meant though, did they prefer the old samba to the Bossa Nova.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 3:52pm
They did indeed! Smile

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 9:46pm
hey Guigo !

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

hey Guigo !

Hi David! Cool

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:40pm
I don't see musicals. Howard Keel was one of my mum's favorite singer (Some Enchanted Evening played at her funeral service) and prominent in her small LP collection were London theatrical versions of Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, South Pacific. I think my dad was into 30's and 40's Bing Crosby (he would have been 100 this week).

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:21pm
Oh yeah, I forgot, my Mom had a lot of those same records.

Posted By: Ovalotus
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:14pm
They share a liking of a variety of Swing, Cowboy, Huayno, and Christmas music. Separately, my mom enjoys Christian Rock and my dad likes Blues and Classic Rock.

Posted By: The_Jester
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:39pm
My father initiated me to prog and jazz and my mother to rock and creative music of all kind.

Posted By: EatThatPhonebook
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:41am
My mother loves women Alternatve Singer/Songwriters from the 80's. My Dad loves Heavy Metal, even though he has no clue of what he's listening to and he has no CD's, so he borrows random ones from my collection Confused.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 5:06pm
They mainly like Rock, including some prog

-------------
http://ozarksoundscape.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Looking for an experimental and eclectic hour of free music made by a teenage guy in his bedroom? Then click this!

Posted By: bytor2112
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:17am
My dad likes classic rock, metal, bluegrass, blues, and some R&B. He's the main reason I have such a love for music. Whereas my mom doesn't seem to have a strong musical preference, though she does like Primus alot.LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk