Print Page | Close Window

Bossa nova recommendations

Printed From: JazzMusicArchives.com
Category: Jazz Music Lounges
Forum Name: Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific jazz music albums
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=577
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bossa nova recommendations
Posted By: Prog Geo
Subject: Bossa nova recommendations
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:31am
Well, I want to listen more to bossa nova. So, I wait for your suggestions. Except Antonio Carlos Jobim and Elis Regina, who other bossa nova artists are important?

Replies:
Posted By: js
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:59am
Some people really go for Brasil 66 (Sergio Mendes) they have some 60s pop and exotica influences, the vocals are incredible, so smooth.

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:04am
I may add:
- Toquinho (his 70s works)
- Vinicius de Moraes (his works with Baden Powell & Toquinho)
- Joćo Gilberto (not my favorite, but very praised)
- Marcos Valle

Well, it's a good start IMO.

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:06am
I think that I know Sergio Mendes. But I learned about Brazil 66 now. Thanks!  

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:07am
Joao Gilberto is a legend of brazilian music (and generally an important musician). Thank you too!

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:10am
Also, I want to say that I Iisten to Jazz radio.com. I had listened to Baden Powell in bossa nova channel. 

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:20am
I have heard one anecdote concerning Bossa Nova. However, I do not know whether it is true. Anyway, please hear the anecdote. Bossa Nova that had been gradually paid attention in the latter half of the 50's was known to the market of the music of the world at once. Various musicians got excited by the unknown music sent by Brazil and were influenced. The one person was Stan Getz. Stan Getz wanted to perform Bossa Nova and nominated Joao Gilberto. However, Stan Getz speaks only English. [Soite] Joao Gilberto speaks Portuguese. The interpreter was necessary for the work. And, A.C.Jobim took charge of the interpreter. Gilberto is a person who really developed Bossa Nova. However, Bossa Nova was still unknown music for Stan Getz. Gilberto gradually had disgust for the performance of Stan Getz. Gilberto was said to Jobim. He doesn't understand Bossa Nova at all. I want him to say it. Gilberto was said getting angry. And, Jobim was said to Stan Getz. It was said that Gilberto was glad to perform with you. However, Stan Getz was said. I do not understand Portuguese. However, Gilberto seems to be angry to me. The real intention of this anecdote is not certain. However, the music of Joao Gilberto is exactly a dawn for Bossa Nova. There were Samba and Choro in Brazil before Bossa Nova was born. However, it is said that it tries to express all melodies and the rhythms with the guitar and Joao Gilberto was always practiced in the bathroom. And, the completed music is Bossa Nova. It is "New Wave. " if it translates as English exactly

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:25am
^ You can't fake the funk,  or the Bossa Nova.

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:27am
I don't think that is an anecdote. It seems to be a historical fact. Anyway, thanks mr Kojima for reminding me that I want to create a thread about Stan Getz recommendations.

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:28am
Coming from Joćo Gilberto I'm quite sure it's true! Big smile

There's an urban legend here saying that Gilberto's kitten comitted suicide after spending an entire afternoon hearing Gilberto playing the same note for hours and hours. Once the poor cat was freed he jumped from the 8th floor to the ground. Tongue

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:38am
LOL Nice!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk