Print Page | Close Window

British Jazz

Printed From: JazzMusicArchives.com
Category: Jazz Music Lounges
Forum Name: Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific jazz music albums
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=402
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:53pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: British Jazz
Posted By: Abraxas
Subject: British Jazz
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:41pm
Unlike with rock music, jazz's main artists come from U.S. 

Here we can talk and recommend some fine British Jazz albums, list your faves, whatever. (please do not delve in jazz fusion, unless it's the more raw fusion type in the likes of early Soft Machine or Nucleus)

I'm interested if there's anything "classic" from the U.K. belonging to the jazz genre.  (classic meaning innovating or original or must-have, etc.. )

Replies:
Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:51pm
Off the top of my head, Dave Holland is one of my favorite British jazz musicians, and it's inevitable Brand X will be mentioned; I love them, and they have a unique atmosphere (especially in their first 3 albums) no other fusion act Ive heard has ever come close to achieving.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:52pm
Hatfield and the north is a band of Canterbury scene. As you know the bands of this scene had jazz elements. They are here under classic fusion.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:56pm
Of course how could I forget John McLaughlin, Pablo? he's in your sig 

-------------

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm
Led Bib

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I did specify to not mention jazz fusion, but oh well... Ouch

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:21pm
JM has done a lot more than just fusion Stern Smile It'd be one thing if i mentioned MO

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:25pm

JM has done a lot more than just fusion Stern Smile It'd be one thing if i mentioned MO

Yes, I know. But if I had mentioned McLaughlin initially, everyone would have thought that I'd been wanting British fusion. 

Since they already mentioned stuff like Brand X, Hatfield & the North. They're fantastic bands for me, but that's not really what I'm looking for. 

Posted By: Hawkwise
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:25pm
Miller/Coxhil  The Story so far oh Really Thumbs Up and   Miller and Coxhill    Miller being Steve Miller Coxill being Lol Coxhill two brilliant albums by two of the best from English Jazz

And then of Course there is the one and only Courtney Pine.
two albums by him worth seeking out would be Journey to the Urge Within and Modern day Jazz Stories  .

-------------
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
Well the UK jazz scene seemed to come alive with the Rendell-Carr Quintet around the mid-60's... I'm not really aware of some high profile jazz artiste before that

Not surprisingly, that band is still missing in the database..
Of course via Nucleus (Carr again) and the Canerbury scene, the JR/F scene will explode, outting the UK on the map...

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:38pm
Oh yeah you cant talk about Britsh Jazz with out George Melly 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Yes, I know. But if I had mentioned McLaughlin initially, everyone would have thought that I'd been wanting British fusion. 

Since they already mentioned stuff like Brand X, Hatfield & the North. They're fantastic bands for me, but that's not really what I'm looking for. 

sorry, but my knowledge on British Jazz is limited, so I hope to learn something. I know how you feel about fusion always being brought up

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:45pm
oh yeah and must not forget  The Gathering by Annie Whitehead   , google her top jazz artist Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: The Manticore
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
Then there is always Pentangle

-------------
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
Oh and of course there is Penguin Café Orchestra to

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by The Manticore The Manticore wrote:

Good call Folk/Jazz at its very Best

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:54pm

sorry, but my knowledge on British Jazz is limited, so I hope to learn something. I know how you feel about fusion always being brought up

Hey, no problem, my British jazz is equally or even more limited than yours, that's why I made this thread, to see if there's any "high profile jazz musician from UK".

Well, the issue with fusion being brought up always is simply because that can also be talked on PA, you know hehe. I came here for something different, if it's possible. I won't mind commenting fusion polls or the like, but hopefully they won't be the same ones as in PA. 

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:13pm
Biggest Name in British Jazz at the Moment i guess would be  Jamie Cullum  not really my cup of tea but then again cant say i have heard much of his music .

-------------

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:14pm

I did specify to not mention jazz fusion, but oh well... Ouch

If you want real jazz, check out George Shearing, beautiful pianist in the style of Bill Evans.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Biggest Name in British Jazz at the Moment i guess would be  Jamie Cullum  not really my cup of tea but then again cant say i have heard much of his music .

Yeah, I know that guy, didn't know he was British though.

He's ok. 

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:25pm
http://www.johnetheridge.com/zappa/index.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.johnetheridge.com/zappa/index.htm

And there is this to Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:28pm
Yes. He's British. In an interview he has said that before starting love jazz he was listening to heavy metal. Also, I agree with David that Jamie Cullum is not really of my taste. Maybe because his compositions have a poppier side.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:31pm

http://www.johnetheridge.com/zappa/index.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.johnetheridge.com/zappa/index.htm

Nice! Someday I will listen to it .

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm

Oh yes! I've never heard Zappatistas, but I've always been fan of Etheridge's guitar style, his outstanding performance on British Tour '75 by Soft Machine is a must.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:17pm
Phil Miller's In Cahoots, particularly album All That

..and I disagree that rock's main artists come from outside the U.S.   America invented, perfected and continues to produce the best rock bands in the world.  I'm not talkin' pop-rock or metal or any other variation, but the best, the most authentic rock 'n roll in all its ugly glory, came and continues to come from North America.

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:33pm
John Surman is one of my favourites

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 1:52am

Jamie Cullum is in British scene similar to Kenny G. in American, so - it's just more question of tasteLOL.

Speaking about more modern British jazz (or related)  two names could be mentioned  - Led Bib and TrioVD.

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 2:18am
I already said Led Bib

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 3:23am

Originally posted by The Manticore The Manticore wrote:

Good call Folk/Jazz at its very Best

yup, Danny  Thompson is simply an awesome Contrabass player... He almost singlehandedly gives the jazz edge in Pentangle

Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 5:43am
I know Rico loves Keith Tippett's albums, but I'll let him talk about them as I haven't heard any. 

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:21am
Not including bands from  Canterbury, Jazz-Fusion or Prog cuts off quite a lot of the bands I heard and like (of which Soft Machine and Colosseum would be the most impressive).

Yes, I do think Tippett's first two albums are very good. It gets very weird from there on, even for free-jazz standards. I've kept some other albums in my collection (Mujician, something with Louis Moholo, the very heavy sessions of A Loose Kite in a Gentle Wind Floating with Only My Will for an Anchor, ending with a piece dedicated to Mingus...), but I'm not too impressed. His piano improvisations turn profoundly shardy.

Elton Dean (Ninesense) should follow soon.
I will also approach Evan Parker's discography sooner or later.

Nationality aside, McLaughlin and British jazz do not compute for me.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:23am
Julie Tippets-Driscoll's two album Sunset Glow and 1969 are astounding as well.

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:54am
Phronesis are considered at least part British
Neil Cowley is also British, I liked his 2010 album
Andy Shepperd's Movements In Colour  is also very good

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:49am
Come on guys so far not one mention of Victor Feldman.  A musician's musician from England.  He worked with everybody from Miles to Zappa. Checkout this Youtube from 1965 (note the bass player, soon to be original Mahavishnu Orchestra member Rick Laird)

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:58pm
^Wow, that's RICK LAIRD! Thanks for the video, pretty tastey. I did know of Victor though by Seven Steps of Heaven, great record.

Posted By: Katje
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:39pm
If you like freer stuff in the vain of Coleman and Dolphy check out Joe Harriott (originally born in Jamaica). I can only vouche for his album Abstract (the other tracks I've heard have not struck me as special)   

Prick to find so blogs might be the best option (unfortunately couldn't find anything on youtube for this album)

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:57pm
Shirley Bassey   Heart

Date Posted: 07 May 2011 at 7:45am
One name I havent't seen so far...

Graham Collier is amost as good as Ian Carr and his late 60's and early 7's albums are tremendous

Also worth mentionning: Harry Beckett

They're  not in the database eitherConfused

------------------------

ditto for sangstress Annette Peacock >> not in the database...Confused

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 5:16pm
I've suggested Don Rendell (who played much with Ian Carr before the latter formed Nucleus

And also Neil ardley as well. (roughly the same crowd)

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I've suggested Don Rendell (who played much with Ian Carr before the latter formed Nucleus

And also Neil ardley as well. (roughly the same crowd)

Interesting. I'll listen more to those artists. Nucleus are nice!

Posted By: Jazz Pianist
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:04pm
Hey come to Birmingham, there's loads going on here

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 2:47am
Just discovered Henry Lowther's Child Song

Stunning really!!!

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:02pm
A lot of recent British jazz is listed above. However, has been suggested a number of time in histories of British jazz, that it started to move away from a strong American influence just after World War Two and eventually showed enough independence of form etc to impress the ultimate critics, American audiences - having said that George Shearing slightly predates. Therefore it is necessary to remind of Humphrey Littleton (his Bad Penny Blues  can be heard in the Beatles' Lady Madonna), (my name sake) Ted Heath, and perhaps the most innovative British jazzer to that time, Tubby Hayes. However, there was a split between the innovative and the retro, dixieland jazz (subsequently known as trad jazz), where British jazz musicians wanted to resurrect the style and sound of 20's American jazz, e.g Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk. To a lesser extent Chris Barber  followed this route in the 50's but included a blues set (occasionally with genuine 30's American blues artists) and then a skiffle set (that where Lonnie Donegan came from and the seeds of British rock'n'roll).  The 60's had further splits; the Jazz Britannia series suggested young jazzers (e.g. Graham Bond, Georgie Fame) were forced to play electric transportable keyboards in jazz clubs, not being allow to play the house musician's acoustic  piano - then through absorbing R'nB (partly because the urging of audiences of young American servicemen)  played some of the earliest (blues based)  jazz rock. In the meanwhile there were those who wanted jazz but with minimal American sound, hence for instance the appearance of the previously mentioned Don Rendell and the young Ian Carr.  Big band arrangements were by the late 60's coming from Mike Westbrook - check out the double set of Westbrook's March Song with John Surman to the fore, and slightly later  Mike Gibb. One of the first British albums labelled jazz rock was Experiments In Pop by Gordon Beck. Free form or improv jazz came from a number of British musician, John Stevens (for straight Stevens, check out John Martyn's jazz blues folk rock of  Live at Leeds, for free jazz Stevens check out the Konnex released BBC Radio 3 recordings with Allan Holdsworth),  Fred Frith, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_jazz

provides far more detail, for instance I find I'm guilty of omitting Johnnie Dankworth and Ronnie Scott, to name but two.

However, I keep rolling back to jazz rock  and other jazz fusions. BTW if you want an example of musician exploring jazz possibilities and futures at the end of the 60's, check out John Surman's contributions to Mike Westbrook's March Song, John McLaughlin's  Extrapolation, his own belated issued album Way Back When, and the McLaughlin/Surman: Where Fortune Smiles, all recorded within 24 moths of each other. And then consider the progression that lead to his distinctively British sounding Road To St Ives recorded  in the 80's.

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:09pm
It's interesting that Jack Bruce first solo recordings (released as his second solo album though) are quite similar to McLaughlin/Surman "Where Fortune Smiles"

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:18pm
By the way Dick, if you need Acker Bilk records, they are quite common at thrift stores in the states. Wink

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

In the meanwhile there were those who wanted jazz but with minimal American sound, hence for instance the appearance of the previously mentioned Don Rendell and the young Ian Carr.  Big band arrangements were by the late 60's coming from Mike Westbrook - check out the double set of Westbrook's March Song with John Surman to the fore, and slightly later  Mike Gibb. One of the first British albums labelled jazz rock was Experiments In Pop by Gordon Beck. Free form or improv jazz came from a number of British musician, John Stevens (for straight Stevens, check out John Martyn's jazz blues folk rock of  Live at Leeds, for free jazz Stevens check out the Konnex released BBC Radio 3 recordings with Allan Holdsworth),  Fred Frith, etc.

provides far more detail, for instance I find I'm guilty of omitting Johnnie Dankworth and Ronnie Scott, to name but two.

Hey Dick, welcome aboardWink

What I"d be really interesrted about is more info about the all-important (at least it seems like it) New Jazz Orchestra (it is not yet entered in JMA's database), because it appears that A LOT of British jazzers went through it (notably Rendell, Carr, Thompson, Ardley etc...

Sadly, it looks like their albums are not reissued at all, or just partly.... Would there be some special reason for this???

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

In the meanwhile there were those who wanted jazz but with minimal American sound, hence for instance the appearance of the previously mentioned Don Rendell and the young Ian Carr.  Big band arrangements were by the late 60's coming from Mike Westbrook - check out the double set of Westbrook's March Song with John Surman to the fore, and slightly later  Mike Gibb. One of the first British albums labelled jazz rock was Experiments In Pop by Gordon Beck. Free form or improv jazz came from a number of British musician, John Stevens (for straight Stevens, check out John Martyn's jazz blues folk rock of  Live at Leeds, for free jazz Stevens check out the Konnex released BBC Radio 3 recordings with Allan Holdsworth),  Fred Frith, etc.

Hey Dick, welcome aboardWink
 Thanks, fancy seeing you here!!??
Sadly, it looks like their albums are not reissued at all, or just partly.... Would there be some special reason for this???
 I suggest many reasons. Original record label defunct or so small can only reissue a limited number of albums on CD per annum (I guess labels like Ogen???) , parent label seeing little urgency on CD issues (Island Records was dreadful until bought out by WEA), master tapes lost or mislabelled (admittedly a rock band but T2 have this problem), musicians not wanting a reissue for various reasons (Miroslav Vitous sat on Warners' reissuing of Magical Shepherd - but let Wounded Bird issue it about 9 months later on CD*), people like us not making enough fuss/noise. Jon Newey, managing editor of Jazzwise magazine, tells me his editorial team rattled Warner's cage and as result two Back Door albums got issued - but there hasn't been a rush to reissue the others.

The above mentioned Experiments with Pops was reissued on CD by a small American label,  approx 40 years after it s release on vinyl in the UK.  The recovery of John Surman's 1969 recording Way Back When and apparently premier release, was down to Cuneiform  5 or so years ago

* Allan Holdsworth is legendary in vetoing the handful of live albums in the can - so it is a miracle that  3 plus a dodgy 4th on are on the market. 

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:04am
Well, at least I'm quite glad that my fave UK jazzman Graham Collier's full works have been reissued... (absolutely love Down Another Road, Deep Dark Blue Center, Darius, etc).

But I hear some are getting rareCry since the Disconforme reissue label folded

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:35am
Michael Garrick's Sextet with Norma Winstone  in The Heart Is A Lotus StarStarStarStarStar

-------------

Posted By: Moshkito
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 5:05pm
Hi,

Brittish arts' history have a lot of moments when people experimented and found something and did something ... with music ... but honestly ... other than the early experiments with Soft Machine, in their early albums (post Daevid), it is hardly jazz ... as defined by the term and music, and sometimes I thought that too much of it was way too composed for my tastes ... and to me that tastes a lot of the tastes of jazz out of it.

The film scene in the mid to late 60's was fabulously free and experimental. The theater scene had its free days going as far back as the late 50's and the "angry young men" ... and music had its heyday in the late 60's ... only to give way to the commerciality of it all. The music lasted the least of these 3, by the way, mostly because the rock press was always eager to kill something they did not know or understand ... and even Syd Barrett screamed about that -- lest we forget! ... "... people have stood, and cheered ... something they did not understand!"

I guess that I like the freer forms of jazz a lot more than the structured stuff out there ... that sometimes simply sounds like another lounge lizard jazz wannabe band.

But yeah ... my ears are definitly twisted!

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Brittish arts' history have a lot of moments when people experimented and found something and did something ... with music ... but honestly ... other than the early experiments with Soft Machine, in their early albums (post Daevid), it is hardly jazz ... as defined by the term and music, and sometimes I thought that too much of it was way too composed for my tastes ... and to me that tastes a lot of the tastes of jazz out of it.

The film scene in the mid to late 60's was fabulously free and experimental. The theater scene had its free days going as far back as the late 50's and the "angry young men" ... and music had its heyday in the late 60's ... only to give way to the commerciality of it all. The music lasted the least of these 3, by the way, mostly because the rock press was always eager to kill something they did not know or understand ... and even Syd Barrett screamed about that -- lest we forget! ... "... people have stood, and cheered ... something they did not understand!"

I guess that I like the freer forms of jazz a lot more than the structured stuff out there ... that sometimes simply sounds like another lounge lizard jazz wannabe band.

But yeah ... my ears are definitly twisted!
I'm not sure I read your text well or at least don't know what to make of it.ConfusedWink..

British jazz had plenty of freer-form of jazz, with Mike Osborne, Keith Tippett , Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean and a few others .... AAMOF, you might want to check out almost anything that was released on the Ogun label from 74 until 80... It doesn't have much to envy to Ornette or Cecil, really!!!

True enough, ypou had a few real jazz composers (meaning that they wrote out the music for each instrument a bit like  Mozart would for a symphonic orchestra) that barely played an instrument while playing their music... A lot of these more-ambitious works were commissioned (ordered) by radio or official institutions

Mike Gibbs is a trombonist
Michael Westbrook is a pianist, but he often preferred having Mike Taylor playing
Graham Collier is a contrabassist
Neil ardley was (RIP) a pianist, but delved into synthesizers
Michael Garrick plays piano, but some of his works written were a lot to do with petry that was adapted to jazz or the other way around... this meant more than just writing arrangements, but reworking in depth and therefore some real "song"-writing.

I won't name them all, but there are a few more as well.

But mostly these guys considered themselves a songwriter or  composer and were more music director

-------------

Posted By: Frederic_Alderon
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:55pm
Here is my current top 10 list in no particular order:

Nubya Garcia – Nubya's 5ive
Tom Misch – Beat Tape 2
Yussef Kamaal – Black Focus
Emma-Jean Thackray – Ley Lines
Kamaal Williams – The Return
Dinosaur – Together, As One
United Vibrations – Galaxies Not Ghettos
Tenderlonious – The Shakedown ft. The 22a Archestra
A.R.E. Project – A.R.E. Project
Yazmin Lacey – Black Moon

Posted By: StarThrower
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:17pm
I like Nucleus, and Graham Collier. I picked up several of the re-issues on the BGO label. The John Surman archival release, Way Back When on Cuneiform is another excellent release.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk