Print Page | Close Window

Sun Ra: Saturn's celestial guardian

Printed From: JazzMusicArchives.com
Category: Jazz Music Lounges
Forum Name: Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific jazz artists/bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=342
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 5:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sun Ra: Saturn's celestial guardian
Posted By: Katje
Subject: Sun Ra: Saturn's celestial guardian
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:33pm
Post everything Sun Ra here; love, outright hate, spam, whatever takes your fancy. One of the most consistent cat's in the game. Not many artist (imo) have released such a string of solid albums over so many years. 

Replies:
Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:35pm
I've loved everything I've heard from him so far - I own The Magic City and Interstellar Low Ways, both on vinyl actually, and I've heard Atlantis on Grooveshark.  Definitely an artist I need to explore further. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:49pm
One of my favorite artists of all time, I have reviews up for "Atlantis" and "Angels and Demons' , two incredible albums.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:55pm
Sticking with the more far out experiences I'd go for:

- The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra (both volumes, especially the first)
- Other Planets of There (this gets little over looked in comparison some of the others from this period)
- Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy
- Strange Strings (pretty angular, chaotic, might turn some people off)
Then maybe a live album
- Nuits de la Fondation Maeght (again both volumes. One works as a perfect extension of the other) 

Either side of this bulk of albums (predominantly 60's driven) you'll find a variances in styles. Earlier stuff is more bop influenced (tho no less worthy) and the latter day, from 'bout 70's onwards (plus a couple of live) tend to have a more funky, fusion with a slight avant-garde feel (to make sweeping generalizations).

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

One of my favorite artists of all time, I have reviews up for "Atlantis" and "Angels and Demons' , two incredible albums.

the later was my first Ra vinyl acquisition, these days finding itself quickening towards but a static haze. I'll mosey on over to your reviews in a sec, the morning coffee awaits some light reading.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Katje Katje wrote:

You know there's a third volume released now?  I haven't heard any of the volumes yet (though I want to), there's a box set edition which comes with all three I've had my eye on for a little while.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

You know there's a third volume released now?  I haven't heard any of the volumes yet (though I want to), there's a box set edition which comes with all three I've had my eye on for a little while.

That I did not, I've a tendency to display a certain amount of negligence when it comes to keeping up to date. Any links for that box?

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:25am
I only have Space is the Place.  Weird as hell, but I love it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:39am
Hit me with some newbie recommendations, I've never heard any of his stuff but I'm interested.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Hit me with some newbie recommendations, I've never heard any of his stuff but I'm interested.

Considering your avvy I'd hit up Lanquidity ('78), fusion-ish with some killer funky breaks. Checkout the track 'where pathways meet' for a primer (I assume it will be on youtube - which I cannot access).

Posted By: Noak2
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:24am
I should love him more than I actually do. The only really brilliant album of his that I've heard s far i Concert for the Comet Kohoutek.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

That I did not, I've a tendency to display a certain amount of negligence when it comes to keeping up to date. Any links for that box?

This should do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Heliocentric-Worlds-Sun-Ra/dp/B003X2O6SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303358620&sr=8-1" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Heliocentric-Worlds-Sun-Ra/dp/B003X2O6SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303358620&sr=8-1

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:31pm
I only have Jazz In Silhouette but Ive heard Atlantis before (but only once, like 3 years ago...). What's a good one to get?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:32pm
Did he ever collaborate with Miles Davis?

-------------
My jazz collection....a work in progress.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No

Haven't you heard?

They've been releasing dozens of albums in outer space. It's said to be the greatest jazz music that humans will never have the chance to hear. 

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Considering your avvy I'd hit up Lanquidity ('78), fusion-ish with some killer funky breaks. Checkout the track 'where pathways meet' for a primer (I assume it will be on youtube - which I cannot access).

Thanks! I'll be getting that one and Atlantis from my library for starters.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:38pm
Atlantis is really bizarre, I like it a lot, but its unique to say the least.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I only have Jazz In Silhouette but Ive heard Atlantis before (but only once, like 3 years ago...). What's a good one to get?

Did you like these? Something from a similar era as Jazz in Silhouette is Angels and Demons at play. I've not got a gauge of many peoples taste here yet; probably should look at your reviews before posting. He has a pretty broad discography, so it is sometimes hard what to recommend, especially if one isn't too keen on more avant-garde kinds of jazz. 

Originally posted by Noak2 Noak2 wrote:

I should love him more than I actually do. The only really brilliant album of his that I've heard s far i Concert for the Comet Kohoutek.

For me my interest in Sun Ra is build upon the consistency of his vision. If I'm being honest with myself (which I'm often not Wink) there are not many standout masterpieces within the breath of his work like other jazz greats (if, indeed he is considered as such) like Coltrane, Davis, Mingus, et cetera. He had a quite definite vision on what he saw to be creation and built-up a group of people (his Arkestra in many forms) with like minded thoughts, so in this way it was collective being (if were to look at it from a spiritual slant), and in the process of these continuous experiments they managed to release of string of top-notch albums over 30 odd years which stayed true to their modes of thought. While this is not my doctrine upon anyone I've always approached a Sun Ra album a little differently than I would most artist.  

Atlantis is really bizarre, I like it a lot, but its unique to say the least.

That it is, especially the titled track. I think it incited next doors cat to malt, or maybe it was just a coincidence...  

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
I'm thinking not a coincidence.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:35pm
@ Katje

I haven't written a lot of reviews yet, so they do not reflect my overall tastes; but I enjoyed the Jazz In Silhouette album, though I should throw it on again just to be sure Wink

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Cannonball With Hat
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:53pm
I wanted to start this thread but I couldn't think of a good opening post. Embarrassed

Probably my favorite jazz artist. I love the creativity, the avant nature of alot of his work, and the percussive power. I honestly don't think I can choose a favorite album but Atlantis is certainly up there. The Complete Nothing Is... excels on all possible levels as well. Really...theres not to many albums I've heard by him that I found disappointing. (Admittedly, most of his later work I don't know) Even his more straightforward albums are quite nice and I would probably enjoy listening to them more than other big name classic albums in a similar vien (or not).  

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:54am

@ Katje
I haven't written a lot of reviews yet, so they do not reflect my overall tastes; but I enjoyed the Jazz In Silhouette album, though I should throw it on again just to be sure Wink

Well, you do realize I'd have to ignore you for the rest of eternity if you don't Tongue

Seriously, if you do, try Angels and Demons at Play. 'tis a great album. Further more something inside of me is thinking Sleeping Beauty is a good recommendation. I'd warn off any heavy lifting while listening to that one. As the titled aptly describes, it offers a small slice of beauty and warmth (slowly building in momentum), sometimes missing from its more abstract brethren. An aforementioned work, a little more funky and fusion-ish aka Lanquidity is kind of hard to ignore especially as a starting point. For his 60's works, The Magic City is a popular one from which one can work backwards or forwards depending on taste and inclination.  

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

I wanted to start this thread but I couldn't think of a good opening post. Embarrassed 

Ha ha... either could I, but decided to bludgeon way through some brief inanities to get the ball rolling. Need to get those videos up where his talkin' 'bout his philosophy, no man has spoken with such gravity on the Saturnic spirituality! Oh, and I fully agree with the rest of your post which I've so sadly neglected to quote. 

His Arkestra are going to be playing at a Jazz festival near me in June, so (I couldn't think of another word to describe my excitement) excited. 

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:29am

@ Katje

Well, you do realize I'd have to ignore you for the rest of eternity if you don't Tongue

Seriously, if you do, try Angels and Demons at Play. 'tis a great album. Further more something inside of me is thinking Sleeping Beauty is a good recommendation. I'd warn off any heavy lifting while listening to that one. As the titled aptly describes, it offers a small slice of beauty and warmth (slowly building in momentum), sometimes missing from its more abstract brethren. An aforementioned work, a little more funky and fusion-ish aka Lanquidity is kind of hard to ignore especially as a starting point. For his 60's works, The Magic City is a popular one from which one can work backwards or forwards depending on taste and inclination.  

Ha ha... either could I, but decided to bludgeon way through some brief inanities to get the ball rolling. Need to get those videos up where his talkin' 'bout his philosophy, no man has spoken with such gravity on the Saturnic spirituality! Oh, and I fully agree with the rest of your post which I've so sadly neglected to quote. 

His Arkestra are going to be playing at a Jazz festival near me in June, so (I couldn't think of another word to describe my excitement) excited. 

First off...I second the recommendation for Angels And Demons At Play. It is quite nice and the CD comes with The Nubians Of Plutonia...which is also damn excellent IMO. Interstellar Low Ways is also a favorite of my from his earlier period.

And...Katje you did better than I would have done! Hell your title is also more exciting. Tongue But yes...those vids would be cool to see. He was a character if there ever was one. And nice. I should probably look into that more...even without the big man on keys that has to be one hell of a show.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:09pm
Space is the Place DVD (well the first couple of parts, the rest is on the tube)

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:35pm
I only have Jazz In Silhouette, Super sonic Jazz, Cosmic tones for Mental Therapy and Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow. I do like them. One suggestion though and it is a great album and the title describes it beautifully as it is a real blowing session

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00007KMNS/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music" rel="nofollow">Blowing in From Chicago

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Stooge
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 6:15pm
I have to run through some of the recommendations here.  I've heard a few songs, but don't know what albums they were from.  I was at a large music store today, and they had at least 10 different Sun Ra albums.  I couldn't choose, so I'll do some research. Smile

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:47am
Shameless bump.

Really digging The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:35pm
I will also bump this.

It seems like the work of Sun Ra will never stop. Just got Cosmo Earth Fantasy and Continuation and they are long down the line of "fresh" Sun Ra work that is being released.

Art Yard/ReR is going a great job keeping his legacy alive (though I should say Continuation is on a different label I've never heard of).

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Shameless bump.Really digging The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra

This is also another great suggestion for those who like the early work.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 4:22am
Anyone ever see this movie with Sun Ra??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NwNtxFH6IjU

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 7:27am
I have it posted on his site page, or at least part of it. I thought we had the whole movie. I also had an hour long documentary on his page, but I don't see that anymore. Confused

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:10pm
A Further Exploration of the Many Sun Ra Albums on BandcampBy  https://daily.bandcamp.com/contributors/piotr-orlov" rel="nofollow - Piotr Orlov  · February 25, 2021

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/sun-ra-album-guide-2" rel="nofollow - http://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/sun-ra-album-guide-2

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:42pm

Probably my favorite jazz artist. I love the creativity, the avant nature of alot of his work, and the percussive power. I honestly don't think I can choose a favorite album but Atlantis is certainly up there. The Complete Nothing Is... excels on all possible levels as well. Really...theres not to many albums I've heard by him that I found disappointing. (Admittedly, most of his later work I don't know) Even his more straightforward albums are quite nice and I would probably enjoy listening to them more than other big name classic albums in a similar vien (or not).  

Also 10 years later...Sun Ra has indeed cemented himself as my favorite jazz artist. And 'new' work is still being pumped out (or at least re-releases of stuff that hasn't been available in forever) so its still like discovering him all over again. 

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:08pm
The archival stuff they have been putting out lately is top notch.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk