URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3335
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Three Brotzmann Duos
Posted By: Cannonball With Hat
Subject: Three Brotzmann Duos
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:30am
Fairly simple.

The first is with drummer Paal Nilssen-Love, the second with drummer Peeter Usuklya, and the last with drummer Steve Noble.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.

Replies:
Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:55am
looks like poll for true Brotzmann fan, all three albums are not most known or popular between his 100+ releases Embarrassed

known only one of three - very fresh duo with Steve Noble (not very much impressed,btw) so no vote

Posted By: js
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 5:42am
Yeah, this is a tough one. I don't own any Brotzmann records, but I do admire his ability to raise a massive sound on the saxophone.
I like Albert Alyer and Rahsan Roland Kirk can make a saxophone sound like a herd of elephants when he puts his mind to it.
 Also another one, he doesn't go for the volume often, but when he wants to, few can sound like Anthony Braxton.

I would be impressed if someone knew all three of these records, but he does have devoted fans.

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 10:44am
probably "Machine Gun" vs "Nipples" vs "Balls" would be a bit easier poll (I expect three those are best known), though who knows ...

from other hand "Machine Gun" would be almost guaranteed winner LOL

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 10:51am
I've listened to "Machine Gun" before, but its been a while. The main Brotzmann that I recall is his work with Last Exit.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 10:52am
If its a 3 way tie, everyone's a winner!  Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

looks like poll for true Brotzmann fan, all three albums are not most known or popular between his 100+ releases Embarrassed

known only one of three - very fresh duo with Steve Noble (not very much impressed,btw) so no vote

Oh it is. I didn't expect this poll to get many responses...but I haven't made a poll is awhile  so I figured I'd just do it. Tongue

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Yeah, this is a tough one. I don't own any Brotzmann records, but I do admire his ability to raise a massive sound on the saxophone.
I like Albert Alyer and Rahsan Roland Kirk can make a saxophone sound like a herd of elephants when he puts his mind to it.
 Also another one, he doesn't go for the volume often, but when he wants to, few can sound like Anthony Braxton.

I would be impressed if someone knew all three of these records, but he does have devoted fans.

I assume you mean someone other than me. Tongue

Behind Brotzmann, Alyer is probably my second favorite free-jazz saxophonist. (Unless we are counting Coltrane)

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 6:04pm
Um ... yes, thats what I meant, other than you ... of course. Embarrassed

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:14pm
I mean, I welcome all people to be impressed by me...so if you want to be, please do. Tongue

As for the poll...I'll vote for Woodcuts, if for no other reason PNL is my favorite drummer of the three.

-------------
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk