Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to jazz music
URL: http://www.JazzMusicArchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=222
Printed Date: 03 May 2024 at 4:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The poll of 1959
Posted By: harmonium.ro
Subject: The poll of 1959
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:03pm
It is well known that 1959 may well be the best year of jazz, sort of like 1969 is in rock (or 1967). I chose a handful of album from 1959, pick one. 

Replies:
Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:07pm
Ahh...ummm...well, Ah Um, followed by Coleman, Brubeck and Sketches. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:53am
I still have so much to listen, even from this list.

Kind of Blue is excellent, but I never talked about it as a masterpiece from a personal level. I don't remember Sketches of Spain too well. Too much Davis to focus on.

Time Out is need, and you gotta listen to its hits at least once, but as a whole it didn't impress me.
I'd go for a different Bill Evans Trio (like Village Vanguard).

-------------

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:57am
I'll be boring and choose Kind of Blue. It's a magical album

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Abraxas
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:49pm
My top three, masterpieces:
1. Kind of Blue
2. Giant Steps
3. Time Out

The others, some I have others I don't, but are not necessarily faves of mine, especially Sketches of Spain which I'm not really fond, I used to listen to it frequently while Don Quixote haha.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 4:11pm
Have you heard the Mingus album yet, Pablo?  

-------------

Posted By: triceratopsoil
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:21pm
Out of the ones I've heard, inclined to say Time Out.  I need that Mingus album, though, as well as the Coleman and Ellington albums, so no vote for me.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/TullDerGraff" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Have you heard the Mingus album yet, Pablo?  

Yes, indeed.

I love Goodbye Pork Pie Hat and Better Git In Your Soul, yeah not very original hehe. I still need to get into most of the rest.
Undoubtedly a great album, but needs more time.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:34am
I think the Ella Fitzgerald album is the only one I've never heard. These are all great albums!

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:09am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'll be boring and choose Kind of Blue. It's a magical album

This, though I've only heard five of them. Giant Steps I love as well, and Sketches has some magical moments.

-------------

Posted By: idlero
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:18am
Miles Davis is still hard to digest for me, so I went for something easier-Time Out, it was one of the first albums that made me want to listen to jazz.
Mingus is very good too.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:05am
Sketches of Spain.

-------------
http://nervoushorse.com/" rel="nofollow - Aria ariari isa, vena amiria asaria.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Sketches of Spain.

OH NO!! SKETCHES OF PAINNN!!! ooohohoohohhh.... 

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:25pm
I love Sketches of Spain, but it's nowhere near Mingus for me. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:19pm

Haha, that was a joke. But it's true that I don't really appreciate it, yet. 

And yes, Mingus Ah Um is miles ahead of Sketches of Spain. Wink

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Haha, that was a joke. But it's true that I don't really appreciate it, yet. 

And yes, Mingus Ah Um is miles ahead of Sketches of Spain. Wink

Give Sketches of Spain a chance. It's a grower

Mingus Ah Um is great, though I remember it took a few spins to enjoy as well

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:58pm
^I have listened to Sketches various times, more than 20 for sure. It's not really my thing, right now.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:06pm
I get it, Miles Ahead.  Tongue

...that's from 1957, though. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

^I have listened to Sketches various times, more than 20 for sure. It's not really my thing, right now.

It's not the usual Miles album. I had it for years before I could appreciate it. There's a lot of classical influence on that album

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:34pm
Huh, I loved Sketches from first listen LOL

-------------

Posted By: peskypesky
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:54pm
my God, those are some amazing albums. really wild that they all came out the same year. and very difficult to choose, but I have to go with "Kind Of Blue".

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:55pm
Kind of blue! Classic album!

Posted By: Krilons Resa
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:57pm
Mingus Ah Um Beer

-------------
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:00pm
I finally ended up voting for Ah Um, just over Sketches and Time Out

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:11am
I went for Sketches, but the first three must be the toughest to sort out....

For Mingus, I much prefer Black saint to Ah Hum

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:49am
This is my personal opinion. "Kind Of Blue" seems to be overvalued a little for me. This album might certainly be a very important album as the establishment of Modal Jazz. However, it is guessed that Miles Davis was judged the history and the situation of the Jazz and always evolved. It was felt that Kind Of Blue was the street point. I have not heard a wonderful opinion so much for the Kilimanjaro album though In The Sky and Silent Way are popular. I think that the Kilimanjaro album is very important in the process of going to the album in the 70's. And, Kind Of Blue is also similarly important. However, it is not felt so much that I am an album where it has the overwhelming might. Am I wrong?

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I went for Sketches, but the first three must be the toughest to sort out....

For Mingus, I much prefer Black saint to Ah Hum

That's because Black Saint is possibly the best jazz album ever.  Ah Um is still great, of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

This is my personal opinion. "Kind Of Blue" seems to be overvalued a little for me.

This album might certainly be a very important album as the establishment of Modal Jazz. However, it is guessed that Miles Davis was judged the history and the situation of the Jazz and always evolved. It was felt that Kind Of Blue was the street point.

I have not heard a wonderful opinion so much for the Kilimanjaro album though In The Sky and Silent Way are popular.

I think that the Kilimanjaro album is very important in the process of going to the album in the 70's. And, Kind Of Blue is also similarly important. However, it is not felt so much that I am an album where it has the overwhelming might.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. Though I agree Kind of Blue gets a little too much attention, and overshadows a lot of other classic Miles albums; unlike other overrated albums, I understand why it gets so much attention. I mean, I voted for it in this thread.

But I agree, Miles went on to do even better things in the 60s, like with the second great quintet, and later with  Miles In The Sky and Kilimanjaro, both are albums which eases right into his fusion period. But there is fantastic music on those 2 albums. I dont know which one is more important for his progression to the 70s albums, but they both played a part. By the time In A Silent Way came about, i think Miles was already deep in fusion mode, though still with the 60s "laid back" feel. It wasn't until Bitches Brew came that Miles was ready to really move forward, more than ever before.

-------------

Posted By: dreadpirateroberts
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:47am
Sketches for me, KOB was tempting, as I am a big fan of it and Bill's piano, but 'Sketches' went beyond what I was expecting for Jazz (when I first heard it) and so I have to vote there

-------------
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/dreadpirateroberts%28member%29.aspx?reviews=all/" rel="nofollow - Reviews...

Posted By: MilesBeyond
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 11:03am
Some fantastic albums up there, but I've got to throw my lot in with the masses and say Kind of Blue. Even of the ones on the list, it may not be my favourite album to listen to all of the time, but it's transcendental music and it's incredible importance to the future of jazz easily put it at the top.

For an album to grab the attention of both casual fans and die-hard elitists alike is incredibly rare, but Kind of Blue is one of those albums that someone who's never heard jazz before can dig on the first listen, whilst learned and professional musicians are still, over fifty years later, trying to unpack all its secrets.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:11pm
What a great year.  It's very close to me between The Shape of Jazz to Come, Mingus Ah Um, and Giant Steps, and I went with the Coleman -- a groundbreaking, I would say, album.

A couple of albums that I was expecting to see on the list are Sun Ra's Jazz in Silhouette --  I think it's a terrific album -- and the Art Blakey one from that year.

-------------
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:15pm
Kind of Blue for me

-------------
Matt

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:01pm
I'm probably strange this way, but Kind of Blue, though I certainly like it, is one of my least favourite classic Miles Davis albums.  I much prefer Sketches of Spain off the list, though it was released in 1960 and recorded in 1959 and 1960, so I don't think I'd include it in the list. 

I think If I had to choose, my two favourite Davis years for his releases are 1967 and 1974 for Sorceror and Nefertiti and Big Fun and Get Up With it.

-------------
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).

Posted By: darkprinceofjazz
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Miles Davis is still hard to digest for me, so I went for something easier-Time Out, it was one of the first albums that made me want to listen to jazz.
Mingus is very good too.
If Kind of Blue is hard to digest, I bet Bitches Brew might Kill you.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 1:26am
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

Mingus is very good too.
If Kind of Blue is hard to digest, I bet Bitches Brew might Kill you.

Don't bet , you'll lose, I like 'Bitches Brew' better

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 7:23am
As do I, I was struck by the hard to digest comment, I took that to mean is was a tough listen, or not accessible,  tastes vary I realize, but I always considered Kind of Blue to have a very contemporary vibe.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 8:40am
^ At first "Kind Of Blue" was really a tough listen , not anymore , but even now I don't enjoy listening to it( I never feel the urge to put it in the player and listen to it, I just do it as a mean of 'self training') while I enjoyed 'Bitches...' from 1st listen(even if it happened some 10 years( of jazz listening)  later).

-------------
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:26am

This is my personal opinion. "Kind Of Blue" seems to be overvalued a little for me. This album might certainly be a very important album as the establishment of Modal Jazz. However, it is guessed that Miles Davis was judged the history and the situation of the Jazz and always evolved. It was felt that Kind Of Blue was the street point. I have not heard a wonderful opinion so much for the Kilimanjaro album though In The Sky and Silent Way are popular. I think that the Kilimanjaro album is very important in the process of going to the album in the 70's. And, Kind Of Blue is also similarly important. However, it is not felt so much that I am an album where it has the overwhelming might. Am I wrong?
As opinions vary, and tastes even more so, Almost any time an album is so well loved and hyped, there will be some cynicism, I think you must put the album in context, the time in which it was released, Personally I find Kind of Blue to be one of the few that lives up to the hype, I am biased because this was the first Modern Jazz album I listened to, and I was captivated by it, to the point that I had to investigate more of Davis and Jazz in general, I still return to Kind of Blue quite often,  And still feel it demands repeated listens. I think when you consider Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, and Chambers along with Davis it add to the Mystique, Doesn't hurt that its has sold more copies than any other True Modern Jazz album in History, Reportedly well over 5 Million  So my own opinion is it has not been over valued in any way,  But to some it may be, It just wasn't meant for you. nothing wrong with that.

Posted By: Kazuhiro
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

As opinions vary, and tastes even more so, Almost any time an album is so well loved and hyped, there will be some cynicism, I think you must put the album in context, the time in which it was released, Personally I find Kind of Blue to be one of the few that lives up to the hype, I am biased because this was the first Modern Jazz album I listened to, and I was captivated by it, to the point that I had to investigate more of Davis and Jazz in general, I still return to Kind of Blue quite often,  And still feel it demands repeated listens. I think when you consider Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, and Chambers along with Davis it add to the Mystique, Doesn't hurt that its has sold more copies than any other True Modern Jazz album in History, Reportedly well over 5 Million  So my own opinion is it has not been over valued in any way,  But to some it may be, It just wasn't meant for you. nothing wrong with that.
Of course I thought that the opinion varied. The jazz of this time still had a big demand for entertainment for at least Japan. Probably the mode jazz and the free jazz were for a fan of the jazz. Of course I was going to say that "KOB" was the album which was very important to jazz and Miles Davis. And "KOB" might have become the turning point for jazz and Miles Davis. This is because it felt that I called this album overestimate when there is the part of the passage point in a trip of the music of Miles Davis. In any case it is certain that "KOB" is a splendid album.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 4:32am

^ At first "Kind Of Blue" was really a tough listen , not anymore , but even now I don't enjoy listening to it( I never feel the urge to put it in the player and listen to it, I just do it as a mean of 'self training') while I enjoyed 'Bitches...' from 1st listen(even if it happened some 10 years( of jazz listening)  later).

I kind of agree with you

While for most mainstream music fans, the gentle almost uncommiting KOB would be easier to get into than the almost-obtuse BB...

BUT.... for experimented music fans (like most of us progheads), BB is the easier one to like instantanly (was my case), while KOB might just be an acquired taste... I certainly had to wait a few years to dig it..... SOS was a much more direct hit for me.

-------------
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk