JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auktyon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auktyon
    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:07pm
Jazz related rock from Russia

This band has a varied history in that it dabbles in proggy art rock, folk, post-punk and of course jazz often at the same time

This album sold me on them but they have a large canon

Just scroll down the list and sample
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:14am
Ayktyon are one of most interesting Russian avant-rock band from last two or more decades, important component of their songs are still lyrics (surreal, freaky, metaphysical and very street-wise at the same time; I expect one must be Russian native-speaker with deep knowledge of nation's mentality/culture to appreciate its in full). They add some elements of jazz to their music occasionally (mostly - free jazz), but generally they are hardly a jazz band. Better Western analogue would be probably RIO (they have released quite interesting album with Medeski and Ribot), or even closer - some Japanese avant-rock.

They are more technically skilled than your average rock band though, so probably can qualify for JR Improvs if at all. Above mentioned album ("Girls Sing") is probably better illustration of their jazz-related side. I still would say they are high-class avant-rock band (with touch of psychedelia)

here is where they are started from (1988)

Edited by snobb - 28 Sep 2017 at 12:52am
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:19am
I agree they aren't jazz. That's why i suggested jazz related. You're call, admin :)  I just came across them yesterday. So they were well known over there, huh?
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:30am
yeh, Auktyon were popular underground band still in late 80s, in 00' they became cult alternative band (as often in Russia - not only alternative rock, but just alternative band), strongly left from main stage though

they were regulars here in my hometown a decade or more ago, not sure what happens now

from what I know about modern Russia, for last 6-8 yrs almost all non-mainstream music lost its popularity(and often scenes) because of new peak of pseudo-patriotism and nationalism in general 

returning back to the track, taking away from Auktyon discography their collaborative album with Medeski and Ribot (where dominating jazz-related music comes from both guests) , there hardly are recordings containing more than just traces of (free) jazz. they are one of my beloved Russian band (mostly because of combination of lyrics and music), but that doesn't make them more jazzy - they started as underground-glam-punks and developed to avant-alt-rock band (sometimes with brass section), that's all

not sure how good your Russian is, their lyrics can be a problem even for native-Russian speakers since they use quite weird mix of metaphors and street-wise slang, but if can dig it then they are one among most interesting Russian musical act from last decade; their music without understanding of lyrics loses bigger part of its beauty (or anti-beauty, depending on taste) 

Edited by snobb - 28 Sep 2017 at 9:28am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 5:52pm
Cool. I studied Russian in college for 4 years and let it lapse for a while. In the last year i've been picking it up so their lyrics are surely over my head at the moment. However, musically i think they're quite appealing. I'll have to check them out. As for Russian language artists i'm quite familiar with Aquarium, Mummi Troll, Aspid, Aria, Kino, Nol, DDT, Alla Pugacheva, Vladimir Vysotsky, Gunesh Ensemble and probably a few more. Will dig further into the Auktyon world!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:17am
you may want to check their most accessible for Westerners album "Girls Sing" here:

Edited by snobb - 29 Sep 2017 at 5:18am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:04pm
Wow! That was brilliant Clap

I still hear jazz going on in the background. It's almost as if there are many layers. The rock is in the foreground but the jazzy parts emerge from time to time.

I think you should add this one. Make a puppy happy. Wagging tails rule, LOL Approve

Anyways, thanks for sharing that. I think they are the best Russian language band i've heard so far 
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 2:10am
the jazz you hear on above album is four guest Americans - Ribot,Medeski,Rothenberg and downtown reedist Frank London, them all have separate entries here on JMA and you can find some interesting music under each of them Wink

Edited by snobb - 30 Sep 2017 at 2:12am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 5:11am
I have a Ribot album actually. If this has jazz on it, why doesn't that make it jazz-related? I mean if Stevie Ray Vaughan is on this site with no jazz, then why not these guys with small amounts of it?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 5:19am

Do you ever visit other jazz sites, or is this the only one you ever visit?

Edited by js - 30 Sep 2017 at 4:40pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:59pm
Why do you always compare JMA to other jazz sites? This one is different. This one is more inclusive of EVERYTHING jazz related. This is not a jazz site that is in an elite club where only pHDs in jazz history can write reviews and pontificate on any given album's greatness. This is a site that embraces all the subtle grey areas of where jazz lurks even in non-jazz entities. Likewise with the sister sites ProgArchives and MetalMusicArchives. They are special because of this same inclusiveness in spiraling every tentacle in myriad directions to include anything that even remotely has sampled a taste of what their main objective is. 

I recommend that you embrace this all inclusiveness instead of eschew its possibilities. I hear jazz in this band and Snobb has even admitted to the same conclusion. If, on the other hand, you have other objectives in mind, then as an admin you are by all means in charge of things, however i feel as a faithful user of this site that i have the right to express my opinion on the matter. 

BTW, is your only interest to replicate other jazz sites? Where in the world is the drive to differentiate? To recognize that the creative urge to further jazz into the future isn't by rotely reciting past glory but rather by the fertile cross-pollinations of not only bands like Auktyon but also the countless other musical acts that already appear on this site. 

Jazz should not be a holier-than-thou elitist club. It should embrace all who fondle its grace in any given ratios desired by different artists. 

A simpler answer is YES, i visit other jazz sites and i find them too limiting in their stodgy faux bounderies of what jazz is ;) But i do admire professional reviews and am not allergic to them, i simply find the objective of this site to expand beyond those limitations. That is the beauty of it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:53am
Which jazz site is it that you actually visit that is 'too stodgy'. I visit other jazz sites everyday, and I don't know of a one that is the least bit stodgy. I don't of any music sites in general that are too stodgy. Which site are you referring to?

Edited by js - 01 Oct 2017 at 3:00am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 6:40am

stodg·y

(stŏj′ē)
adj. stodg·i·erstodg·i·est
a. Dull, unimaginative, and commonplace. See Synonyms at dull.
b. Old-fashioned and stuffy: "Why is the middle-class so stodgy—so utterly without a sense of humor!"(Katherine Mansfield).
2. Indigestible and starchy; heavy: stodgy food.
3. Solidly built; stocky.

The first definition above
All of them really. Jazz and classical sites are trying too hard to be traditional rather than innovative. Just my opinion. 

Other sites i visit are
All About Jazz
Jazz Review
Jazz Con Class Radio
Jazz-On-Line
Jazz Corner

However, i don't visit these sites regularly. I usually just use search engines to find something specific i'm seeking out and end up finding sites like these. I use this one more than the others because i love i's inclusiveness and handy listing of albums with covers :)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 8:53pm
BTW, please guys don't think i'm complaining! You are all doing an excellent job of holding down the fort here, bravo! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic