JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Evans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Evans
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:05am
Looking for a few recs for intorduction to Bill Evans beyond his work with Miles.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:55am
If you are talking about the sax player,

Here is his site page, a couple of his albums have been rated:

I never listened much to Bill outside his work with Miles, and his short time with McLaughlin.
 I would stay away from his recent albums, they are mostly southern rock/RnB, and not all that good in that genre.
I would guess his best albums are probably his early Post Bop albums.

Edited by js - 16 May 2017 at 1:00pm
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:52am
Hi there. His best work in my opinion is on the albums Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Beautifully recorded trio stuff.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by liontime liontime wrote:

Hi there. His best work in my opinion is on the albums Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Beautifully recorded trio stuff.
He's asking about Bill Evans the sax player.  Wink
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:59am
Wait a second, now that I read his first post again, I'm not sure which Bill Evans he is talking about. Confused
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:00pm
I don't know! Hard to say. I didn't know Bill Evans the sax player played with Miles.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:00pm
Ah apparently so
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:02pm
I assumed he meant Bill the sax player, because I guess I assumed everyone knew about Bill the piano players solo work, whereas Bill the sax player is a little more obscure. I'm thinking I made the wrong assumption. Embarrassed
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:25pm
Fritz, if you're referring to the piano player on Kind of Blue, check out these albums:

Waltz for Debbie (1961): http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/bill-evans-piano/waltz-for-debby(live)

Live at the Village Vanguard (1961): http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/bill-evans-piano/sunday-at-the-village-vanguard-aka-live-at-the-village-vanguard(live)

Explorations (1961): http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/bill-evans-piano/explorations

Portrait in Jazz (1960): http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/bill-evans-piano/portrait-in-jazz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic