JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ragtime

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ragtime
    Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:19pm
As of right now JMA only has one artist listed as Ragtime, Scott Joplin. While he is IMO the best ragtime composer the subgenre is far from complete, what happened to:
Joseph Lamb
James Scott
Jelley Roll Morton

And so many more!

Stride piano is also shockingly small, perhaps those two genres should be combined for the present until further additions can be made as they are scimilar with lots of crossover figures?
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:24pm
here is wikipedias list of ragtime composers
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:25pm
Morton comes on the jazz scene a bit later than ragtime and I think he is already here. I'll check out the others in time.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 12:32pm
I'm not an expert on Ragtime, or Stride by any means but it was somth ing I wanted to learn more about for a long time. I bring it up because as a long time PA user I was hoping to just try the reccomended albums in the sub and was quite shocked to find only one artist in the sub. It's a glaring example of an area this site needs improvement on. Especially if JMA dosn't want to be fusion and jazzy rock archives.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 1:18pm
James Scott was added long ago, he just needs some albums in his discog. why don't you add some Scott albums and that will help get the ball rolling.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

We tend not to use wiki as a source of info.   Wink
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

We tend not to use wiki as a source of info.   Wink
you and I both know we like to say that but that it is not always true. PA used to have tons of defs and bios copied out of wiki. In any case I have found Wiki far more usefull than PA in researching this genre that I want to know more about. Now I am not an expert on this genre and will most likely not add a ton of albums to this site (as I really have little interest in writing reviews) But I did think that someone should know how incomplete parts of this site are.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:25am
We just added a bunch of Ragtime artists, and there are more coming, Stride also, but I never glanced at the wiki list for fear that it would burn my eyes. Wink

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:58am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

We just added a bunch of Ragtime artists, and there are more coming, Stride also, but I never glanced at the wiki list for fear that it would burn my eyes. Wink

LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic