JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bonobo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonobo
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:55am
Not sure which genre he should fit best, there is DJ Jazz, Nu-Jazz and Acid Jazz in his music. Here's some relevant samples from his latest album.

These two are pure Nu-Jazz, and my favourites:

More DJ/Acid oriented samples:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:55am
A lot of these cuts don't have any jazz at all. A few did, I'll check them out.
We'll probably add them, but we probably don't want to go to much further down this road.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:01pm
I suggested them (him) a while back and was rejected, just so's you know
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I suggested them (him) a while back and was rejected, just so's you know
I'm not surprised they were rejected, I think Alex posted the couple of songs they do that are close to jazz.
You could pull a random sampling of these guys songs and not find much jazz.
It may have to do with the songs heard at the time.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:09pm
@Mike: I searched and no result came up, sorry.

@John: the guy doesn't really mix the jazz and the electronica, like in true DJ Jazz. For example on this album it's fifty percent nu-jazz and fifty percent electronica with world music spices. I don't remember what was the ratio on his previous albums, I'll have to relisten them.

Edited by harmonium.ro - 08 May 2011 at 1:10pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:14pm
^ The only album I have is "Dial M for Monkey", and it's like a mix of what you said plus some trip-hop, but I
figured he had enough jazz to be included
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

@Mike: I searched and no result came up, sorry.

if I remember correctly, I suggested him in a multi-suggestion thread

EDIT: i cant find it either; I may have been mistaken

Edited by darkshade - 08 May 2011 at 1:24pm
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 1:31pm
I think John just needs to update his old-man definition of jazz Tongue
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 2:10pm
I'm not sure what an "old man definition of jazz" is. Sounds like an ageist stereotype coming from a shallow mind that deals in stereotypes. 
I do play pro acid jazz gigs for the rave crowd if that is what you are talking about.

Someday people who get into jazz as their primary musical interest will be joining this site, that will be nice.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 2:54pm
Colin's only kiddin', but speaking of older jazz and people with a jazz background, someone growing up on jazz nowadays would be really surprised to find improvisation on JMA only "related" to jazz. Actually this sentiment has been expressed in several conversations I already had about JMA.

Anywayz, yeah, Bonobo's not fully jazz, if you give me some time I'll see if I can make a better case for him.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:45pm
There's no shame in being Jazz Related, all genres get treated equally at this site.

Artists who play avant-garde improvised music and come from a jazz background usually go in Avant-Garde Jazz

Artists who play avant-garde improvised music and come from an eclectic or non-jazz background usually go in Jazz-Related Improvisation. Often there is a noticeable difference in the music of these two groups, especially to people who are into jazz.

I thought all this was explained in the genre definitions, I will check and make sure it is clear.

It is never even implied that one genre is more valid than the other. Jazz Related is just as valid and important to the total world of jazz as Swing is.

Edited by js - 08 May 2011 at 3:46pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:06pm
I guess what I meant is that there are a lot of things that sound really closely related to jazz to myself and a lot of other people, that aren't acknowledged at all by The Powers That Be on this site.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:09pm
You are referring to the people who put the site together, designed it and built it, correct?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:14pm
I'm referring to the people who decide whether or not something warrants inclusion in the archives.

It's not really an issue, I'm just opinionated Tongue

Edited by triceratopsoil - 08 May 2011 at 9:14pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:19pm
^ They are the same people.

Edited by js - 08 May 2011 at 10:45pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:36pm
Shocked

I think whether or not these more controversial additions should be added, should be held off until there are more members here; some with more knowledge of specific acts, so that we have more opinions on the matter(s)

Hug
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:45pm
As I said before, I think things will be a lot clearer when we have more people on the site who have jazz as their primary musical interest.
A lot of people here now were introduced to this site through a couple of rock sites.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic