3 [17.65%]
3 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [41.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Miles' BB album was responsible for a few offshoot that can be directly attibuted to it

Indeed, if Herbie wasn't on the BB sessions, it's because he was on his honeymoon, but he clearly belongs to the BB legacy, and via Julian Priester, the link is solid.

My favrourite on the list is Mwandishi, love the album.

I don't really get the Julain Priester reference, though.  Priester released one of my absolute favorite albums in JRF (anyone who knows me reasonably at all from PA will know how much I love Love, Love), but he wasn't on Bitches Brew that I know of.  I think you meant to say the Mwandishi group player, Bennie Maupin who is on Bitches Brew.  The Jewel in the Lotus is a wonderful album.  Another few albums I would have liked to see on this list that I think wonderful from Bitches Brew alumni are Wyane Shorter's fantastic Odyssey of Iska, Lenny White's Venusian Summer (the suite is so good), and Larry Young's Lawrence of Newark -- I could go on cause the BB alumni are amazing.

When i just saw the title, I thought you mean more infleunced by BB, in which case Donald Byrd's Electric Byrd is a fantastic album.

You're entirely right!!EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

It's Maupin I meant to speak of

-----------------

As for Byrd's Kofi and Ethiopian Knights, they're both excellent albums, but not really directly related to BB

I'll check out Lenny White Venusian Summer ASAP, though!!Wink

Not sure about Kofi and Ethipian Knights, and I know that Electric Byrd is not an off-shoot, and so not applicable to the poll, but I mean that that Byrd album was inspired by Bitches Brew and so until I read the first post, it is one I was expecting to see on the list.

Great album anyway.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:33am
OK, I hear some LW albums (the 1st  & 4th), and will listen to two more next week

Venusian Summer is more like Head Hunters (HH) meets Carlos' Caravanserai...

Soooo, I wouldn't really say it's a close cousin to BB... but it's amazing JR/F (what a classy guest list as well>> read my review)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:48pm
Ian Carr's Nucleus was heavily influenced by Bitches Brew, almost to the point of plagiarizing. Labyrinth comes to mind. 
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:51pm
Weather Report's Live in Tokyo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic