JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thelonious Monk - Underground , similar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hombre777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thelonious Monk - Underground , similar
    Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 5:57am
I really enjoy this album " Thelonious Monk Underground "
can anyone recommeded to me some other albums similar to this,
from Thelonious or No-Thelonious ?

Thanks,
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 8:12am
Theolonius Monk is an extremely consistent performer. He started his career with one musical vision (a very personal and abstract take on bop and blues), and held that same vision until his career ended. He was never the least bit influenced by passing fads of any type.

I own several Monk records, and although some are better than others, I've never heard one that's particularly bad. One favorite is "Misterioso".

If you like "Underground", there is a good chance you will like a lot of his other records too. Like many performers, some of his best playing comes early in his career. I like "Underground" too, but it sounds like they added some unnecessary reverb to the piano. Monk's music is pretty much the opposite of reverb.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic