Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Jazz related lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOB DYLAN TO RELEASE SINATRA STANDARDS ALBUM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BOB DYLAN TO RELEASE SINATRA STANDARDS ALBUM
    Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 3:50pm

BOB DYLAN TO RELEASE SINATRA STANDARDS ALBUM IN FEBRUARY 2015 

In a surprise move Bob Dylan is to release a new album on 3 February consisting solely of standards made popular by Frank Sinatra. The album, Shadows In The Night, his 36th album for the Columbialabel, features ten newly recorded tracks of well known standards such as ‘Some Enchanted Evening’, ‘That Lucky Old Sun’, ‘Autumn Leaves’, ‘The Night We Called It A Day’, ‘I’m A Fool To Want You’ and ‘Where Are You?’ all previously recorded by Sinatra, the latter four tracks all coming from Sinatra’s 1957 Capitol album Where Are You?

Produced by Dylan, a longtime Sinatra fan, under his producer pseudonym Jack Frost, the aim was to strip the tunes back for a small quintet rather than the overloaded big band and strings approach that standards albums often take. “It was a real privilege to make this album” said Dylan in a Columbia announcement. “I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but was never brave enough to approach 30-piece complicated arrangements and refine them down for a five-piece band. That's the key to all these performances. We knew these songs extremely well. It was all done live. Maybe one or two takes. No overdubbing. No vocal booths. No headphones. No separate tracking, and, for the most part, mixed as it was recorded. I don't see myself as covering these songs in any way. They've been covered enough. Buried, as a matter a fact. What me and my band are basically doing is uncovering them. Lifting them out of the grave and bringing them into the light of day.”

Dylan released one of the tracks, ‘Full Moon and Empty Arms’ (see video above) earlier this year and has recently been performing ‘Stay With Me’ live as part of his never-ending-tour. Judging by the sound of ‘Full Moon and Empty Arms’, which has spare, atmospheric feel and melancholic pedal steel guitar, the musicians are his regular band and his voice sounds warm, less gravelly and a little smoother than his recent albums. Dylan has previously recorded standards on his 1970 Columbia album, Self Portrait, including ‘Blue Moon’ and ‘Let It Be Me’.

Commenting on the album, Columbia Records Chairman Rob Stringer said: “There are no strings, obvious horns, background vocals or other such devices often found on albums that feature standard ballads. Instead, Bob has managed to find a way to infuse these songs with new life and contemporary relevance. It is a brilliant record and we are extremely excited to be presenting it to the world very soon.”

The complete Shadows In The Night track listing is:

1. ‘I'm a Fool to Want You’
2. ‘The Night We Called It a Day’
3. ‘Stay With Me’
4. ‘Autumn Leaves’
5. ‘Why Try to Change Me Now’
6. ‘Some Enchanted Evening’
7. ‘Full Moon and Empty Arms’
8. ‘Where Are You?’
9. ‘What'll I Do’
10. ‘That Lucky Old Sun’

– Jon Newey (story and photo)

from Jazzwise Magazine (UK)

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 8:45pm
This does not sound like a good idea. Ermm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 4:43pm
I'll buy it, last gig I saw in October this year he was going for that sound with his Cabaret ( lounge) tour playing in smaller venues than the usual stadium. He only did about three songs from his older stuff and all the rest were the last 4 albums with "Full Moon and Empty Arms' included. I actually enjoyed the gig as he was a bit different from the usual. He does need to make a bit of a change all the same, whether this is the way to go? Still Frank's ballad albums are my least fave of the lot from him with the exceptions of "In The Wee Small Hours" and the much later "September of My Years". 
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 5:10pm
I've always liked Bob as a song writer and lyric writer, but I never considered him much of a vocalist, more of a character singer, sort of like Lou Reed.

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I've always liked Bob as a song writer and lyric writer, but I never considered him much of a vocalist, more of a character singer, sort of like Lou Reed.

His voice is not getting any better John. he sure will not go down in the great vocalists list.Smile
Matt
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 12:40am
here it is

Shadows In The Night
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 2:13pm
I entered a competition on Amazon for a signed one..............................................still waiting Unhappy
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic