JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jonas Hellborg...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jonas Hellborg...
    Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 7:41am
... for Classic Fusion, but also Eclectic/Contemporary Fusion (?) and Jazz Related Rock. Quite a no-brainer I might say.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/jonas_hellborg

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 7:49am
We don't have a genre called Eclectic Contemporary Fusion, you are combining two genre names that are quite different. Before you tag his albums I would check the definitions, ask me if you have any questions.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 7:53am
Yeah I know, I was just playing with words a bit to show the diversity in his discography. When I start adding albums for various bands and artists I think I'll make a thread to post one relevant sample to ask for the genre. I think that would also be a great way to learn more about jazz styles and genres.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:14am
Jonas' modern mixes of metal, prog and fusion are a great fit for Post 70s Eclectic Fusion. 
A simple way to see that genre is it is an offshoot of the "punky" NYC 80s scene (Zorn, Blood Ulmer etc).

We'll probably start him off in classic fusion, but you can tag the ones that are more modern and heavy. Any of that DrumnBass type fusion with live musicians (not DJs) usually goes in Post 70s Eclectic Fusion too.

The DJ drumnbass jazz has its own genre.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 11:56am
I've been listening to a lot of Jonas this afternoon, looks like he has a couple albums that could fit World Fusion too. I think we will start him off in Post 70s Eclectic Fusion because its his metal-fusion projects that are getting the most attention right now.

Edited by js - 23 Apr 2011 at 11:56am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:57pm
Wait, he's not on the site???

I have a few Hellborg albums

"e" - would probably be Classic Fusion, it's very much jazz-rock.

"Two Doors"  -  I could see that going under World Fusion, there was definitely some Indian influence there.

"Time Is The Enemy" - features Shawn Lane, and from what I remember there were some metal parts, but I think this one was more jazz-rock/fusion than anything.

I also have "Octave of the Holy Innocents" which was a work with Buckethead, which from I remember was experimental rock, with the occasional beautiful melody.

I've never really heard any of his metal-fusion albums, aside from a couple of moments on Time Is The Enemy. Which are they?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 1:08pm
Time Is The Enemy is jazz related rock as I remember it (long, bluesy instrumentals) and Octave is Eclectic Fusion (Art Metal even more so; that's also the best "metal-fusion" album there is). 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 1:28pm
I forgot I have Art-Metal too, thanks to PA. Nevermind Embarrassed
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:59am
added  

Edited by snobb - 24 Apr 2011 at 1:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic