JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help!! Recommend Me Some Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!! Recommend Me Some Jazz
    Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:48pm
Hey guys, to be honest I am practically a newbie when it comes to listening to Jazz(though I know some by heart) but I am open-minded and willing to listen to new stuff. Can anyone recommend me some jazz to listen to? I am looking for something that might spark an interest. It really does not matter what sub-genre it is, just as long as it sparks an interest.Thanks!! Big smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:59pm
One album that always seems to connect with new jazz fans is "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis.

If you want to hear some of the best jazz has to offer, go on youtube and try anything with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie playing together, that is a sound that no one has ever been able to duplicate or imitate.

For something a little more out, that a lot of people still seem to connect with, try Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch", Dolphy in general is also some of the best jazz has to offer.

Sun Ra is always someone interesting to check out.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 9:06pm
Thanks!! Smile I got a lot of listening to do LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 3:55pm
Search for top albums by year. Search under '1959'. From there, you will probably form your own path. this was literally a year where classic jazz album after classic jazz album was made. Some of the most popular and critically acclaimed releases came during the late 50s. You can look for more before and after as well.

However, there's nothing like the present to check out new stuff while it's fresh and hot. Names like Hiromi, Medeski Martin & Wood, Five Peace Band, Steve Jenkins, Dave Holland, Jaga Jazzist, Alain Caron, John Scofield, Tribal Tech, Pat Metheny, and others are among my favorites of the more popular artists and bands making jazz today. Some are younger artists, some have been around since the 60s/70s.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 4:10pm
^^ Thanks, I'll check 1959 out 
jazzlovr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzlovr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 10:30am
WOW BEING A NEWBIE HERE ,THIS IS A HELP TO ME ALSO. tHANKS.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 10:36am
Welcome!  Big smile
Stayl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stayl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:19am
I recommend a magic album who is easy to listen for beginners and very interesting for jazzheads : 
Joe Henderson - Page One.

Other jazz albums who might be good to start listening to Jazz :
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane (original and easy way to introduce yourself to jazz)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

You could also start with bossa nova --> Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic