JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The JMA Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:48am
two above covers are just two releases of the same album on different labels (one on Zorn's Tzadik and the other - on Metheny's Nonesuch, same material though)

Book of Angels is John Zorn pre-composed (generally klezmer-based) music, played by different musicians

Edited by snobb - 27 May 2013 at 9:53am
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 8:06pm
Does anyone know how pre-composed the BOA series is? I've heard it's basically just a brief sketch of ideas that the performer really fleshes out....but this was by no means an official source.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 3:43am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 4:48pm
This is my first post here on these forums (Hi everyone!), and I was really glad to see a thread devoted to the Pat Metheny Group. I had no idea that Metheny would be a controversial artist here, but I suppose I can see why after reading this thread.

That said, I love nearly all of the guy's music I've heard so far, having only become acquainted over the last few years. Just got First Circle yesterday and cannot stop listening to the song "Yolanda, You Learn". This song comes so close to perfection for me; there's not one thing I would change about it. There's something uplifting about so much of their music.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Orchestrion album -- this is one that I passed up, but now I'm very curious to check it out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts everyone.  :)

Edited by skys_edge - 18 Aug 2013 at 4:51pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 12:13am
I was really curious to hear how Orchestrion sounds when it was released - and the first impression was quite good. But after few spins it started to sound too mechanical. Since I'm not a big Metheny fan in general, probably my opinion here is too much personal. In all "Orchestrion" sounds as Pat's regular album from that period, just a bit more static.

I listened to more current "Orchestrion Live" release as well - to be honest I didn't find big difference between studio and live versions, but still live album sounds slightly better for my ear.

Edited by snobb - 19 Aug 2013 at 8:59am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:46am
Speaking as a non fan(but not a hater), 'Orchestrion' didn't impress me beyond the technical aspect
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 2:18pm
The studio album for me was average, with only the title track (I think...I'll admit I'm not so good with track titles) really standing out. The live disc works better for me as the concept feels much more integrated than on the studio disc. Perhaps it's a production issue idk. As a result I like the live disc much better than the studio one.

I certainly recommend getting at least one of them as the concept is pretty cool IMO.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 12:03pm
Been meaning to check out the live album, as well as the Zorn/Metheny album. One of these days...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 12:58am
If it makes any difference, I find the Metheny/Zorn disc to be very excellent. It doesn't feel like a Masada release (less emphasis on the klezmer stuff) and thus gives a bit of freshness to the overall series. I only wish the last track was longer!
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 9:38pm
Possibly the listener may already reserve this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 10:37pm
^ I'm certainly looking forward to that one!
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:58am
Metheny/Zorn sounds interesting.  Anyone heard or have the album with Reich/Metheny Electric Counterpoint?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:08am
The last Pat Metheny album I checked out was the Orchestrion album in 2010. What's been the best PM album since then?

I've read good things about the Live Orchestrion, and the Zorn/Metheny album. What about the Unity band albums? Anything else?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:49am
The new Unity band album sounds very nice.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:59am
Live Orchestrion is very similar to studio one. Zorn/Metheny album is much more energetic than Metheny's albums from last decades, for me it's his best work for many last years
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:55pm
That's what I've had my eye on (The Zorn album), that'll be my next Metheny purchase.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 9:28pm
A good choice.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 9:00am
I brought this up before, and is part of the reason I didn't buy it sooner, but it seems there's 2 versions of the Zorn/Metheny album, one as a Zorn album, one as a Pat Metheny album. Are they the same?

Off topic, but isn't there also Zorn album in that same series with Medeski, Martin & Wood?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 9:06am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

two above covers are just two releases of the same album on different labels (one on Zorn's Tzadik and the other - on Metheny's Nonesuch, same material though)

Book of Angels is John Zorn pre-composed (generally klezmer-based) music, played by different musicians

Found my answer Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I brought this up before, and is part of the reason I didn't buy it sooner, but it seems there's 2 versions of the Zorn/Metheny album, one as a Zorn album, one as a Pat Metheny album. Are they the same?

Off topic, but isn't there also Zorn album in that same series with Medeski, Martin & Wood?

There is, and if you're a fan of MM&W (which I know you are) I'd track it down. Especially if you were missing that Jewish influence in their music. Tongue
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic